BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber & M3 Fanatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the first things I should do? If it were an Eclipse, I'd put Redline ATF in the manual tranny, replace the oil, etc. Are all these necessary (or should I do other things too?) at 9k miles? Also, my 330 didn't require the oil changed but every 15k miles. What should I be doing with the M3? Can I change it myself or is it a bit more tricky?

Stupid newbie questions, I sure appreciate all of your support!

Dani

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
The M3 gets break-in fluid changes at 1,200 miles. Assuming those were done -- and hopefully you'll get some documentation of that, you should be good.

The oil changes are just like a 330 -- per the service interval indicator (which is about 15K or so) or once a year if you don't put that many miles on the car. The key difference is the M3 uses 10W-60 oil.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I called the dealer, it was never in for its 1200 mile oil change.. ugh.. bad sign?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mischik said:
Well I called the dealer, it was never in for its 1200 mile oil change.. ugh.. bad sign?
:eek: Yeah. Bad sign. Engine oil change, transmission oil change and differential oil change called for (and paid for) by BMW. You need to see that service history! At a minimum I would also want a DME readout at the dealer to see if the computer has stored anything like an overrev; since the first owner apparently didn't care enough to maintain the car properly, did they beat on it?

Are you (legally or financially or emotionally) committed to this car? How about a good, thorough pre-purchase inspection (at your expense) at a dealership, with the sale contingent upon your satisfaction. Or walk away now. Is it the only M3 ever made with some special color that you gotta have?

If you are buying this from an east coast dealer (the same one that skipped the service) I would be reluctant to take his word on the condition.

And if the car arrives and a mechanic that you trust assures you that it is perfect and will be fine, I would -- if only on principle -- reduce the price paid by a grand or two.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Buy 9K M3 without break-in service?

Any sage advice on the situation with Dani's soon-to-be-or-not-to-be '05 M3. See the threads started by mischik.

Dani, please provide as much detail as possible on this car: You live in Cali and the car is coming from the east coast? Who are you buying it from? Has it ever been serviced? Have you tried to obtain the service history? Recap the VIN please.

Can you refuse delivery? How much $ do you have in it now?

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi..yep I can provide more details. Here's the situation. Car is at an M3 Dealer in New Jersey, DeSimone BMW. The VIN is WBSBR93445PK09556 It was a dealer demo for 6000 miles, then some guy owned it for 2 months and gave it back. It has 9800 miles on it. It's an 05, with the following options: white with cinnamon, 6 speed, in dash CD, BMW Assist w/blue tooth, CD Changer prep, Xenon, Center armrest, smokers package, HK Sound System, Harmon Kardon Sound System, CO2 Control, Lumbar Support, 19" wheels, Nav, Black soft top, transport protection, rain sensor and auto headlight, shipping package, battery switch, co2 relevant vheicles, aluminum trim, CWP.

I've been looking for about 6 months, first one that's had everything I want on it. Price is 55k... down from 60 where he started. They extended the warranty by 5000 miles since it was a demo car.

I have a couple of grand in a deposit in it now. I called their service center and they said there is no service history or repair history at all.

Since it was a demo, they may have had the car worked on but not recorded, Im not sure. I'd really appreciate your advice before I sign paperwork Monday morning.

Thanks to everyone,
Dani

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
So if I'm reading this right the car is in NJ and you are buying it long distance, which means you have no opportunity to inspect it or have a pre-purchase inspection done. The seller, a BMW dealer, tells you that it has not been serviced or repaired -- which means that the manufacturer-stipulated 1200 mile service was not done.

MSRP was $63,570 including guzzler tax.

I really have no idea on the price -- good or bad -- but the 1200 service would kill the deal for me; a demo, then a two-month owner(repossession?)...easy assumption that the car has been beat on, I would think. And if the car was abused, the warranty would not cover repairs.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I know you can't tell much from pictures but it doesn't look abused... it's true though I have no opportunity for an inspection. The BMW repair shop told me this.. I have a call into the sales person to ask him for the reports that I need.. Im hoping she's read something incorrectly. I can't imagine the car being AT the dealer at 1200 miles but not having its service.. they'd have to be complete idiots.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mischik said:
Well, I know you can't tell much from pictures but it doesn't look abused... it's true though I have no opportunity for an inspection. The BMW repair shop told me this.. I have a call into the sales person to ask him for the reports that I need.. Im hoping she's read something incorrectly. I can't imagine the car being AT the dealer at 1200 miles but not having its service.. they'd have to be complete idiots.
Agree. This may be just a communications failure of some kind.

And that is a pretty cool spec'd car, by the way. I hope this works out for you. :thumbup:

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am hoping... I am already emotionally invested. I can't wait to get back into modding. :)

·
Banned
310 Posts
mischik said:
What are the first things I should do? If it were an Eclipse, I'd put Redline ATF in the manual tranny, replace the oil, etc. Are all these necessary (or should I do other things too?) at 9k miles? Also, my 330 didn't require the oil changed but every 15k miles. What should I be doing with the M3? Can I change it myself or is it a bit more tricky?

Stupid newbie questions, I sure appreciate all of your support!

Dani
Dani,

I recommend changing the engine oil every 7500 miles. The engine oil service is easy. The DIY write up can be found here http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_oil_change.shtml

Don't forget that when you get your new M3 that it has a full maintenance warranty program!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mischik said:
So? Didja do it?

·
Banned
310 Posts
LMC said:
So? Didja do it?
She told me she bought it on Sunday. She's in the process in finding an auto transport company to ship the car from the east coast to her. The dealer wanted $2000.00 from her to have it transported but I linked her to some other companies that can do it for half that much.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep! Sunday night. :) The credit union is finalizing the loan paperwork and then it will be shipped. :) I can't wait to get him.. Ill post pics up when he gets here! Right now I have to focus on selling 3 cars.. at least 2.. :)

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What to do right away?

LOL Thanks LMC :) hehe

I need to find a good forum for some sound advice on the following.. anyone have recommendations?

1. Dont laugh but I want to replace the pedals right away
2. I want to put in a short throw shift kit and replace the knob
3. Replace the rear lights with all white
4. Put some kind of intake on.. I've seen the K&N intake systems, any good?

What else would you guys do right away? I cannot wait until it gets here! I leave on a business trip the day after. AWFUL timing!!!

·
Banned
310 Posts
mischik said:
LOL Thanks LMC :) hehe

I need to find a good forum for some sound advice on the following.. anyone have recommendations?

1. Dont laugh but I want to replace the pedals right away
2. I want to put in a short throw shift kit and replace the knob
3. Replace the rear lights with all white
4. Put some kind of intake on.. I've seen the K&N intake systems, any good?

What else would you guys do right away? I cannot wait until it gets here! I leave on a business trip the day after. AWFUL timing!!!
Dani,

There are several designs on the pedals. There's the expensive name brands like AC Schnitzer and Hamann or you can go with lower name brands.

I recommend the Autosolutions Short Shift Kit. There are several types of shift knobs though. You can go with factory design or aftermarket heavy types made out of aluminum with different finishes.

No one that I know makes all white tail light lenses for the E46. Might be difficult to do since the rears are LED.

I recommend AFE over of the K&N types. A lot of track junkies that I know personally in CA have the AFE intake kit.

The first few things that I did were exhaust, intake, and software.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. There's a shop somewhat local to me in LA that Im going to head to once the car gets here (and I get back from my trip). I think some of this was on the gentleman's recommendation list. I've been reading FAQs and don't feel comfortable doing the short shift kit myself.. the pedals, no problem. :) Thanks much! Ill take it there and let them work on the phases. :)

D

·
Registered
49 Posts
LMC said:
So if I'm reading this right the car is in NJ and you are buying it long distance, which means you have no opportunity to inspect it or have a pre-purchase inspection done. The seller, a BMW dealer, tells you that it has not been serviced or repaired -- which means that the manufacturer-stipulated 1200 mile service was not done.

MSRP was $63,570 including guzzler tax.

I really have no idea on the price -- good or bad -- but the 1200 service would kill the deal for me; a demo, then a two-month owner(repossession?)...easy assumption that the car has been beat on, I would think. And if the car was abused, the warranty would not cover repairs.
"And if the car was abused, the warranty would not cover repairs."

Easy fix== get the dealers statement that there is no warranty or service history at time of purchase, and the car is warranteed for 55,000 miles (I would think you have to get something in writing for the extra 5K miles anyway).

Don't let the dealer write the statement, you do it. Have the dealer sign it, you sign it and one witness.

Dealers aren't like private sellers in many ways. For example, they can't sell you a car saying it's under warranty, then later tell you there is no warranty because of damage that existed at the time of sale... new or used. It's called fraud. Part of the purchase IS the warranty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts