Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows when the 2021 X5 configurator may be going online?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it. Thank you!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
August 6... OK. Thanks.

What baffles me is why would BMW release the configurator so late after production of 2020 cars has stopped, leaving customers in a twilight zone where they can configure a 2020 car but not order one, and can order a 2021 car but not configure it (at least not online). Why can't the configurator go live the day one cannot order a 2020 car anymore?!

·
Registered
412 Posts
^ Marketing, they need to move the existing MY vehicles that are in the lots. This year though there aren***8217;t too many.

·
///M550i
200 Posts
What baffles me is why would BMW release the configurator so late after production of 2020 cars has stopped, leaving customers in a twilight zone where they can configure a 2020 car but not order one, and can order a 2021 car but not configure it (at least not online). Why can't the configurator go live the day one cannot order a 2020 car anymore?!
I think Turtle has it right. They need to move the leftovers at this point...

Not everyone is as adept at obsessing, planning, and ordering their cars as those of us on these forums. In fact, I'd think we are a very small percentage of the new car buyers. With that being said, most these days are probably still thinking 2020, and if they get on to shop & configure a car, they are expecting a 2020 in July.

Now, those of us building a car know where to find the ordering guides, and also know how to work with our chosen CA to order what we want and expect. In reality, we hardly need the configurator to do so... While it would be nice to see the car I built (and that is going into production the week of Aug 9th) online, I know what I'm getting and paying, without having to see it online. So, when the 2021 configurator goes live, I won't be expecting any surprises. In fact, working with my CA, I actually found a preferable package that was still being offered, but is not in the 2021 guides, and I doubt will be available online.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think Turtle has it right. They need to move the leftovers at this point...

Not everyone is as adept at obsessing, planning, and ordering their cars as those of us on these forums. In fact, I'd think we are a very small percentage of the new car buyers. With that being said, most these days are probably still thinking 2020, and if they get on to shop & configure a car, they are expecting a 2020 in July.

Now, those of us building a car know where to find the ordering guides, and also know how to work with our chosen CA to order what we want and expect. In reality, we hardly need the configurator to do so... While it would be nice to see the car I built (and that is going into production the week of Aug 9th) online, I know what I'm getting and paying, without having to see it online. So, when the 2021 configurator goes live, I won't be expecting any surprises. In fact, working with my CA, I actually found a preferable package that was still being offered, but is not in the 2021 guides, and I doubt will be available online.

The main problem with the inventory is, dealers are either never practical with their configurations (it's like roll of the dice) or the left over ones are undesirabes. Last year, every single vehicle on the lot was something of an oddball, weird configuration, bunch of diesels, base model wheels, etc.. They weren't even giving deep discounts either. Do you think we can get a deeper discount this year?
On leases, residuals are down compared to last model, but APR is also down. BMW generally has lower APR in order to compensate the lower residual, but this year it seems like lessees will have to pay $20-$30/mo more for similar MSRP vehicle.
Then there are also people who want things like air suspension, active steering, 3rd row, or combination of mSport with 3rd row, etc. These are almost never available off the lot, I called 6 dealers last time to see if anyone had active steering or air suspension with 22" wheels, nobody did. I guess because it's NY and people want to just "drive" a BMW than actually enjoy it..

I guess I will be out of luck and may be forced to order one. I like the practicality of 3rd row, no matter how impossible to use it for longer than short distance, but that's what I need it for, at least I know I can grab 3-4 friends of my kids and take them all out to park, or grab another family with 1-2 kids and toss them in the back and go out together (hopefully when covid is over)..

·
Registered
412 Posts
T They weren't even giving deep discounts either. Do you think we can get a deeper discount this year? ..
No, in general discounts are much lower now than they were prior to COVID. The inventory is very low throughout the country and prices show it. I was thinking about getting a 3-series for my wife and my sales manager said I should hold off for awhile if I can because they can't give much of a discount now compared to before. Inventory should increase in 2-3 months and the prices will then adjust.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... In fact, working with my CA, I actually found a preferable package that was still being offered, but is not in the 2021 guides, and I doubt will be available online.

If I may, what package was that?

·
///M550i
200 Posts
If I may, what package was that?
In the 2021 pricing guides, the Luxury Seating Pkg was downgraded to 2 items, just ventilated & multi-contour seats, for a $1000 package price.

Massaging seats became a separate item for another $1000.

However, Luxury Seating Package 2 was added to my build, which included all 3 items, for a $1600 package price, similar to what was available for 2020.

If you build a 2021 X5 xDrive45e in the online configurator, the $1600 Luxury Seating Package option (with all 3 items) has reappeared. Feel free to correct me, but it was not there when I was mulling over the 2021 pricing guides, debating my build, and trying to figure out what BMW was doing.

Perhaps supply chain issues have, hopefully, been resolved? My X5 build is scheduled for production next week, August 9th.

I'm holding my breath...

·
///M550i
200 Posts
Perhaps supply chain issues have, hopefully, been resolved? My X5 build is scheduled for production next week, August 9th.

I'm holding my breath...

Awesome update this morning:

PRODUCTION BEGINS
Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, sure is! Finally!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts