BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been so tired of hearing about how much better Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas are better than any other cars made in the world. If they are so good why don't you see any of them at the prestine classic car auctions like Barrett-Jackson? You always see BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Bentley, Rolls Royce, American, and American muscle bringing seriously big numbers. If they are so much better than everything else, then why are they not desired enough to remain a classic. My opinion is because there are in the junkyard rusting away!!! What do you think?

·
610EUROs
6,955 Posts
well in all of the junkyards i know japanese cars dominate the yards.

from all the yards ive been to:

1. honda/toyota
2. volvo/nissan
3.volkswagen
4. BMW/jaguar/mercedes
5. rare cars like old MG's, triumphs etc

when asked why there are 4-6 times more japanese cars then any other car they will almost always argue there were more of them made.

i have a bunch of honda friends .. they all swear by honda, but they are always swapping motors and getting new ones to replace the previously junked ones. one of them has switched to american cars and even tho he used to swear on hondas and only buy them. he will openly talk down on how crappy they are now. i got a good laugh the first time i asked him where his crz was and he said he is done with hondas :rofl:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know the feeling to well. A lot of my friends at Ft. Dix, NJ and McGuire AFB, NJ all sware by their Japanse cars. Then when they see my 18 year old 318i with the same M42 engine it came with and over 200,000 miles on it with no rust, all they can say is DUH!!! There are not so many Japanese cars in the junkyards because they made so many, but in fact they are in the junkard because they don't last as long as so many people believe the hype about them.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
think of most hondas toyotas and mazdas being in a toy box along with a couple bmws. the hondas and others are all over the place so you smash the hell out of them and get another for cheap while you bmws are alittle harder to find, so you take more care of it.

but there are a few cars from the japen region that are worthy enough. look at the skyline r34, the gtr, supra (mid to late 90s), wrx. i would say the nsx, but its a overpriced integra that someone sneezed when installing the engine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had an 86 toyota 4x4. Some times I wish I still had it , as a second car. It wasn't fast, but it looked nice and ran well. One thing for sure these E30's were ahead of their time. Sometimes I am amazed at the stuff that mine has even though it is 20 years old.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only seen one and I mean one classic Japanese car in the US., a classic 1970's Datsun. The only reason it's still around is because the owner only drives it in the summer. On the other hand, I've seen thousands of American and Euorpean classics.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
I have only seen one and I mean one classic Japanese car in the US., a classic 1970's Datsun.
a nice 200x with a 350 mated to a turbo 350 and a 9in thats a quick 9 sec car. my dad has one and he wont let me drive it cause it has over 500hp. yet he cant drive it right

i dont see american cars driving around that havt been fully rebuilt.
you dont look hard enough.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You don't see a lot of older cool japanese cars because back in the day they pretty much just wanted to make economical cars.

Look up a Toyota 2000 GT now those were some sweet looking cars, hell Carol Shelby even tried racing them in America for a time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've owned a couple of Japanese cars before and the main reason I get rid of them is because all of them started having serious rust issues with their bodies. No, I haven't purposely looked for any classic Japanese cars and most people know they will never bring the money that American and European cars bring overall. When was the last time you saw a Toyota Camry and everybody that saw it wanted it? NEVER!!! How many times have you seen any BMW, even if it's falling apart and it still grabs your attention?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You don't see a lot of older cool japanese cars because back in the day they pretty much just wanted to make economical cars.

Look up a Toyota 2000 GT now those were some sweet looking cars, hell Carol Shelby even tried racing them in America for a time.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
You will see some very late 80's and 90's honda's that are decent cars, good mileage with decent power. Later cars that have good looks as well. I have a 96 civic 2 Door coupe that has 181k miles and never been touched runs strong and gets 40's mpg. I have been told it can go at least another 100k possibly more. This is the first honda I have owned, it is for long distance traveling. I was looking for a replacement a few months ago, lower mileage, finding one that has a reasonable price tag proved difficult so they must be popular.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's kind of sad. I've always loved the Japanese classic car culture, but it's so hard to find any in the states. It's mostly 510s and Zs around here, but in Japan they've got Skylines, early model Celicas and Corollas, early Civics, etc. Great little cars.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
you should jump on the next plane bound for NZ. there is nothing but said old school cars here. datsuns, hondas, 70s corollas, and mazda rotarys, hell even piston mazdas. we are seeing change in our scene right now though. the cops are patroling at all time highs, the driving age is being increased to 21 (doesnt affect people already with thier licences like me thankfully). people are getting bored with wrx's and skylines and evos and just starting to get into the euros. american cars never have and never will take off here. they are simply not aimed at the NZ way of life.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
you should jump on the next plane bound for NZ. there is nothing but said old school cars here. datsuns, hondas, 70s corollas, and mazda rotarys, hell even piston mazdas. we are seeing change in our scene right now though. the cops are patroling at all time highs, the driving age is being increased to 21 (doesnt affect people already with thier licences like me thankfully). people are getting bored with wrx's and skylines and evos and just starting to get into the euros. american cars never have and never will take off here. they are simply not aimed at the NZ way of life.
Makes sense, price of gas. Or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Makes sense, price of gas. Or is it something else?
that, and the fact that most people are more modest and dont like the in your face-ness of most american steel. i ment to say that there is a lot of intrest in 60s american and older, but to see anything is really rare. theres probably more than anyone knows but it gets left at home

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Older American muscle cars are all over NJ, NY, PA, DC, VA, and the entire east coast. There are so many companies that cater to these cars, because there's a big market for them. You can even go to Yearone and get an entire unibody for a Mustang or Camaro.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts