BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
27,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question came to our mind as I and Test_Engineer, who is on a business trip in Germany at the moment, were looking at a Night Blue Z4 at a dealer here in Frankfurt.

Are the Z4s with Individual paint being painted in Spartanburg ?

Does anyone have 'insider' info on that ?

Thanks.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,907 Posts
Well, the bodies have to be painted before the car is assembled. And I believe all Spartanburg-made cars get their bodies stamped in the US. I really doubt the bodies are stamped here, shipped to Germany, painted, then shipped back to the US for final assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
They are done in Spartanburg. After welding is complete, they move them out of the main factory and paint them in a separate facility from the "standard" cars.

Someone here will know the exact location. Heck, someone here probably has an aerial maps and the street address.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The Plant

Last month,I did the tour with daughter and her freind,Its bad when the tour group all know your name.!I saw the paint process,up close soon as you enter through the doors to the common area on the rightis the veiwing windows for the paint process, accross from the vendor sign in office,prior to the lunch area on the left and the mens lavs.they also have a picture of all there plant through the world on the wall to bath room.Well they had a few lanes maybe six,x5,z4 and z4 leaving the country as it works it way through it goes two lanes then one through assembly then after dyno run brake check and other dyno checks,they go to I think like three lanes again I saw most of the right hand drive cars in one lane for final adjustment lenzes ect,well just from memory well taking design calls at the office. P/S I was Taken through the the back entrance,from the airport,I have never seen before,New way in!

·
Living on the redline
32,613 Posts
their paint process was spec'd such that it had to clean & change paint colors perfectly in a spectacularly short amount of time, I don't recall the exact figure though

otherwise it's safe to say that they get painted individually :eeps: :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.