BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys. I know if sounds like a simple question and I did try to search it both here and the M6 forum but didn't find anything. Had the car about 3 months or so and finally bought a real owners manual off ebay. The car, for some reason, had a 2006 BMW 5-series owner manual set with it. Guess it got switched at some point in it's life - go figure.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to see where everyone stores their owners manual. I was unpleasantly suprised to find out that it will not fit in the glove box :mad: I mean, seriously, isn't that where 99% of the the cars in the world stors theirs :dunno:

So I'm confused. Store it in the house? Not much use there. Let it live in the trunk and continually slide around? I'm sure it will look fantastic in about 3 years.

Is there some secret storage compartment for this thing that I'm just completely missing??

On the upside, prior to buying this official version, I downloaded a pdf copy from BMWUSA.com and printed it out in booklet sytle. I then used the comb binder machine at work and made my own little owners manual version. It fits in the glovebox, well..... like a glove..... :D Does this mean that I'm a better engineer than the BMW guys since my copy of the owners manual fits in the glovebox and their's doesn't? Hmmm....

·
Registered
784 Posts
There is an indentation on the right hand side of the trunk where the manual goes. It just lays in there.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Spot on, even though when i bought the car the dealer had the manual laying in the back seat. Took me about a week to realize it goes in the trunk.
I like to store in my computer and mine do fit in the glove box.
Trunk is a good idea too.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Mine fits in the glove box. I also keep a copy of the .pdf on my phone which is great for the ability to search.

·
Nerdy G
908 Posts
In a desk at the house.. lol

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I have the indentation in the trunk, but to for my OCD personality (see first post in this thread) it seems too way to untidy...

As far as fitting in the glove box, either your manuals are smaller than mine or the they changed the size of the glove box becuase there is absolutely no way. Next time I'm at the dealer I'm going to have to stop and look in at some of the used 6-series or the curiousity will kill me.

And finally, to all of you showoffs with your fancy smart phones :flipoff: Seriously though, I've been waiting for my Nokia to die so that I had an excuse, but I think I'm just going to get an iPhone through work instead. Less money out of my pocket. Maybe then I can access the pdf vesion through my phone :D

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Thanks guys. I have the indentation in the trunk, but to for my OCD personality (see first post in this thread) it seems too way to untidy...

As far as fitting in the glove box, either your manuals are smaller than mine or the they changed the size of the glove box becuase there is absolutely no way. Next time I'm at the dealer I'm going to have to stop and look in at some of the used 6-series or the curiousity will kill me.

And finally, to all of you showoffs with your fancy smart phones :flipoff: Seriously though, I've been waiting for my Nokia to die so that I had an excuse, but I think I'm just going to get an iPhone through work instead. Less money out of my pocket. Maybe then I can access the pdf vesion through my phone :D
Is your manual in the handy little pleather holder? Mine is inside of that black holder with some other stuff and fits perfect in the little indent in the trunk. No matter how hard I hit the turns, curvers, or sliding the rear end with traction control off it doesn't leave the space.

Screw that smart phone stuff, I pulled a Rain Man and fanned through it in 1 minute and memorized the whole manual. Judge Wopner at 3... :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahaha - rainman huh? Yeah, got the lovely black pleather holder. Think I'm going to leave the whole thing in the desk at home and just keep my printed PDF copy in the glovebox. It fits and is out of the way.

·
I Need to Speed
21 Posts
I keep mine in the cool (not so little) indentation in the trunk. There is absolutely no way short of a construction project that mine would fit in my glove box, god know I've tried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed today there is a small plastic trim piece inside the back of glove box which must be removed if you need to access the fuse panel behind it. If the trim piece is snapped in place the manual is pretty snug. If it's removed then it gives you a bit more room.

I believe that trim piece was intended to keep small contents from falling back behind the hinge. I left the trim piece out and noticed a business card easily worked its way pretty far back in the glove box.

[E63 - 05 645ci]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.