BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To clearify, I have a 540I with full dinan supercharger kit. I know where the reservoir is on my car.

I'm about to do the coolant system overhaul and was going to buy a new reservoir but they all look very different from mine.

Mine is clear plastic and over by power steering reservoir.

Is the factory one not like this? And should I bother with replacement since this doesn't appear to be a BMW one?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What year is your car?

Head over to realoem.com and put your VIN in. Then look at the cooling system for part numbers and photos. Find the part you need.

Impossible for us to help you with no vehicle info or pictures.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Also, doesn't the dinan blower include parts to relocate the coolant reservoir to make room for the blower and piping.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I agree brandon, I think it is a different animal all together... I don't think realoem will work..

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
To clearify, I have a 540I with full dinan supercharger kit. I know where the reservoir is on my car.

I'm about to do the coolant system overhaul and was going to buy a new reservoir but they all look very different from mine.

Mine is clear plastic and over by power steering reservoir.

Is the factory one not like this? And should I bother with replacement since this doesn't appear to be a BMW one?
Click image below:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is a 97 non vanos. And that is definitely not where mine is. Mine is between power steering reservoir and oil filter housing. And idk with the intake plumbing with the supercharger it could stay in stock location.

I'm at work for the night so I'll take a pic tomorrow. But I think this means no new reservoir need for me

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

The dinan kit includes brackets and expansion tank to relocate. See picture. There's no way the stock expansion tank location can be used.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as to say you don't need to replace it. Its still a plastic tank that is subject to pressure and heat cycling. You just need to shell out cash to Dinan when the time comes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If that's the expansion tank directly to the rear of the oil filter housing and you have it out I will wager if you take it to a NAPA auto parts store they can match it up for you

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The expansion tank in the pic of a Dinan SC setup posted by Brandon looks exactly like one from an E30 325i, part No 17111712641. The fill cap and the fitting for the coolant level sensor are in the same place. These earlier expansion tanks were extremely rugged and lasted, at least, the life of the car. No replacement necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts