Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
I am looking for the power under the hood when and only when the ignition is on.
A device with own independent fuse needs 12-15V and max power is 10W (temporary), usually continuous 1W.

Usually in a typical car it is not a problem but here in the BMW the fuses and switches box is in the trunk.

Can someone can show me a point under the hood where I can connect...

See a photo. Click!

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
There is also a fuse box in the rear of the glove box, hidden behind a cover. It is right below the DVD/CD player.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For 10 amp load you will want to install a solenoid relay
I would suggest tying power into the battery direct at the hood power jump connector and get signal from lights
Not sure what you are installing but lots of places to hide relay and wiring up behind the lights

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For 10 amp load

No, no, it's not 10A, my God :D, it's 1 Watt continuous
So 1W / 12V = 0.08A
Could be temporary 10W so it's 0.8 Ampere absolutely max, not even 1A...

1. Probably I could take 1 Ampere from lights but I need to find a point, because DRLs have voltage with ignition but have NOT when Xenon bulbs light . So there is not to easy to find a point which has voltage with ignition and which is independent from which lights are on.

2. Another problem, it could affect the module which might not know if bulb is OK.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is also a fuse box in the rear of the glove box, hidden behind a cover. It is right below the DVD/CD player.
OK I know the place, but is it easy to go through the firewall with a cable (the car has sound-proofed and airtight cabin), probably not easy...
That's why I am looking for something under the hood.

There is an electrical box under the hood hidden away behind the cabin micro-filters.
I know that there are many cables but who has documentation what is what...

See a photo. Click!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Www.NewTIS.info. All - ALL - circuits load current is monitored by the IBS - ALL! YOU will get a high battery discharge warning at some unauthorized closed-circuit current that is dependent on the platform, often 80 mA.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Www.NewTIS.info. All - ALL - circuits load current is monitored by the IBS - ALL! YOU will get a high battery discharge warning at some unauthorized closed-circuit current that is dependent on the platform, often 80 mA.
That's horrible.
The best option could be just to find the cable to the cigarette lighter and connect to it. Of course find it under the hood...

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
As HerbP says you get to the power socket under the glove box easily, if you don't have this then you can either tie into the central cigarette lighter itself or you can use a fuse tap on no.38 in the glove box fuse block, this is the cd changer so will power on with the ignition and off when the car goes to sleep, 10a fuse up to build date 09 2005 and 5a for E63's after this date (not sure of your car) this can be used as a trigger wire for a relay under the bonnet with main power coming from the jump terminal.
All these will require taking the power lead through the firewall, coat hanger wire or similar is good for pulling these through.
Have a look here for some of the interior trim removals, there also a vid further down the page that includes the center console removal for the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Hello
I am looking for the power under the hood when and only when the ignition is on.
A device with own independent fuse needs 12-15V and max power is 10W (temporary), usually continuous 1W.

Usually in a typical car it is not a problem but here in the BMW the fuses and switches box is in the trunk.

Can someone can show me a point under the hood where I can connect...
Here are some detailed instructions from the DIY area, the PDF has the process for running the wire through the firewall:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473231&highlight=lighting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts