BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The efficient and best way to find an oil leak is with ultra violet oil dye, a UV light and yellow UV glasses. First clean all the leaked oil really well. Then add the dye in the correct amount (based on the volume of the reservoir) and go for a drive. Then come back to the garage and look for signs of the leak with the UV light and glasses. The sign should be a bright green/yellow marking that you will not be able to see with the naked eye.

I'd start with the power steering system and if no signs of a leak, go to the engine oil. The UV dye will not damage any system you ad it to. These UV lights are quite expensive but I would think that Autozone might lend out a kit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I thought that the UV light was all you needed to detect the dye. Kind of like the old hippie posters. Why the yellow glasses? And would yellow (night time driving glasses) do the trick?

·
Wingnut
3,887 Posts
a true uv light gives off uv in frequencies that can be harmful to the eye..same as watching someone weld without protection. the "black light" of them days was something different, and the posters fluoresced, which is retransmitting the light in a different frequency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts