Bimmerfest BMW banner

Where is your left hand when you are shifting?

  • On top of the wheel (12 hours)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Same place it always is (9-10 hours)

    Votes: 22 75.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Me wants to know, where is your hand located on the steering wheel when shifting ? (that's a question for you, stick-lovers :D, obviously)

On a side note (didn't want to make a separate thread for this), do you shift when turning? Highspeed turn (highway on-ramp or what not) and you run out of revs before the turn ends. Would you up-shift while still in turn, or wait untill you get on the straight?
I'm asking because I don't feel comfortable shifting in such turns because I kinda need my both hands at the wheel...just wondering :)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
rost12 said:
Hi guys!

Me wants to know, where is your hand located on the steering wheel when shifting ? (that's a question for you, stick-lovers :D, obviously)

On a side note (didn't want to make a separate thread for this), do you shift when turning? Highspeed turn (highway on-ramp or what not) and you run out of revs before the turn ends. Would you up-shift while still in turn, or wait untill you get on the straight?
I'm asking because I don't feel comfortable shifting in such turns because I kinda need my both hands at the wheel...just wondering :)
Actually, the reason NOT to shift in the turn you describe is not because you want to keep your hands on teh wheel (although that is a good reason) but mostly because, if youa re actually at or near your tires' adhesion limits, the disturbance in power application caused by the shift could be enough to unsettle the rear and cause the tail to come out. At high enough speeds, you lose control and wreck.

Smoothness is key. Anything that upsets that smoothness is bad. Unsettling the car in max adhesion situations can be VERY VERY BAD.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
I frequently downshift in turns... But not isually when I'm at the limit. That's mostly because I'm not confident in my ability to control the car and shift at the same time, though. If you can control the car and downshift REALLY smoothly, downshifting can be advantageous in some turns. I love revving into first as I go through a sharp turn, it's so nice having all that power on tap on the way out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TD - thanks for the insight :)

Nick - I've never downshifted into first, yet :dunno: You da man :thumb:
And yeah, I'm not smooth with rev matching while downshifting...Although when I do one right it feels goooood :bigpimp:

Me really needs some driver-training :mad:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
I started practicing rev matching three years ago. I'm still not perfect. :confused: It's so wonderful, though. It makes everything so much fun when you can downshift almost instantly and SMOOTHLY. :)

I need driver training myself. :) Someday, I'll get it together to go to driver's school.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
I avoid shifting in turns when ever possible. Long, gradual highway turns are different, I will do that sometimes.

Shifting near the limit is very, very bad though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so far most people shift while their left hand is in its normal position.

That's wrong! Left hand should be on top of the steering wheel. (Right? right? :D ). With only one hand availiable top of the wheel gives the most control of the car (that's what I've read)
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
rost12 said:
Ok, so far most people shift while their left hand is in its normal position.

That's wrong! Left hand should be on top of the steering wheel. (Right? right? :D ). With only one hand availiable top of the wheel gives the most control of the car (that's what I've read)
um...no

What logical reason is there that the hand at the top has more control? Besides, you shift quicky (no more than 3 sec for the full motion) and put you hand where it was. Try shifting with your right and also moving your left to the top of the wheel and back after you shift. Your hands would be OFF the wheel 2 times, not good...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's what I've been taugh a long time ago (and no, not at performance driving school).

Try turning with one hand, at the bottom of the wheel. Hard ? :)
Then try same turn with the left hand at 9-10 o'clock. Try turning left. Hard ? :)
Try any of the turns you've done with the left hand on top of the wheel.
For me, that's the most comfortable position if I have to drive with one hand.

So...um, yes :)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
rost12 said:
That's what I've been taugh a long time ago (and no, not at performance driving school).

Try turning with one hand, at the bottom of the wheel. Hard ? :)
Then try same turn with the left hand at 9-10 o'clock. Try turnign left. Hard ? :)
Try any of the truns you've done with the left hand on top of the wheel.
For me, that's the most comfortable position if I have to drive with one hand.
Right or wrong, I do it. However, not always.

A quick shift with clear sailing ahead of me, my left hand stays put. But in stop and go traffic (with repeated shifts where my right hand doesn't get back to the wheel often), my left hand ends up near 12 o'clock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmm...don't move your hand when all you have to do is just hold the steering wheel in place. Move it to 12 o'clock when you need to steer a bit.

Makes sense.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
TD said:


A quick shift with clear sailing ahead of me, my left hand stays put. But in stop and go traffic (with repeated shifts where my right hand doesn't get back to the wheel often), my left hand ends up near 12 o'clock.
That's generally how it works for me too.

If there's no traffic and the window's open, the wheel will swap hands as I shift.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
I just had to go to the store, and noticed that I never let my hand leave 9 o'clock. I tried it at 12, and it was very uncomfortable :thumb:

I have trained myself well :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
rost12 said:
That's what I've been taugh a long time ago (and no, not at performance driving school).

Try turning with one hand, at the bottom of the wheel. Hard ? :)

So...um, yes :)
The ONLY useful time to drive with your hand(s) a 6 o'clock is if you are driving a vehicle that is towing something. When you are backing up a trailer, the best way to control it is to have your hands at 6 o'clock (hands go left, trailer goes left)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I didn't know that :)
I still don't feel right placing my hand there :D
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
I can shift with left hand at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock without difficulty.

But as Tom said, one should avoid shifting when turning, especially at high speeds.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
rost12 said:
Well, I didn't know that :)
I still don't feel right placing my hand there :D
get used to it :p

Acutally, it is very nice because I can put my elbow on the armrest too :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top