BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post.... about a year and half ago my wife drove our 525 waytoo many miles while it was overheating.... yes we are still able to drive it.. amazing enough.. however the antifreeze and oil consumption is getting rather ugly... probably 1/2 quart of antifreeze every 30-50 miles and 1/2 quart of oil every 100 miles... yet the engine still runs quite well. However, we are obviously on borrowed time... Does it pay to rebuild the engine or should we look for a "certified" used one (if one exists).. Any help would be greatly appreceiated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
'92 525i ENGINE

Hi Porkchop, i have a second '92 525i which i just bought to use for spares (the alloys look good on mine!). The engine was reconditioned just 500 miles ago and is the best sounding lump i have ever heard. I am in Birmingham UK - do you have any interest?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
philalden said:
Hi Porkchop, i have a second '92 525i which i just bought to use for spares (the alloys look good on mine!). The engine was reconditioned just 500 miles ago and is the best sounding lump i have ever heard. I am in Birmingham UK - do you have any interest?
It seems like a stretch but please tell me more...

·
Registered
4 Posts
525i ENGINE

If you're interested, i would research the costs of having the engine taken out and palletised and the shipping costs. You make me a (nominal) offer for the engine - which i don't really have a use for as the engine in mine is 150%. You could do any research you can about importing the engine. You can, if you like, arrange with the British AA or RAC by e-mail to have the engine inspected and send you a report. If it's all not too difficult - you get a new engine. No big deals, no hidden agenda - it would be an interesting project.

Phil A

·
Registered
24 Posts
I definitely feel for you. I have a similar experience with letting women drive my BMW 525i. She drove with the check engine light on!! :mad: Fortunately, BMW engines are built "BMW Tough". Ever since then the engine made a slight clicking...not good. It ran for several years with bent pistons and an enormous amount of sludge build-up. Eventually the car began to smoke so much that it just became an embarassment to drive. My mechanic informed me that repairing the engine would be very cost-prohibitive. I spent $2,500 on a used 525i engine with 75k miles from a wreck. And I've never let her drive my bimmer again! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts