Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BMW-addicted
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As you can see, we're living in Florida and we're using the automated Toll-collection system "Sun-Pass". We have dificulties in locating the correct spot on the windshield where we should mount the transponder. I noticed that the 7-series has some kind of "cut-out" around the rearview-mirror (Iguess the windshield isn't IR-shielded and the transponder should be mounted there).

But here's the problem: Sunpass tells the customers to mount the transponder at least 2 inches below the top window frame - and that would cover half of the transponder by the window IR-shield...:bawling: We already tried both locations (at the top, transponder located in the cut-out and 2 inches below, transponder only half in the cut-out) and the system failed a few times, no matter at what location...:dunno:

What can I do? Any experience/ideas?:thumbup:

Thanks in advance!;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
The CA version of Sunpass is called FastTrack. FastTrack offers winshield transponders and also license plate transponders for vehicles with IR glass, reflective coating, etc. I'd be willing to bet that FL has a similar offering.

It looks something like this:
 

Attachments

·
BMW-addicted
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeremy said:
The CA version of Sunpass is called FastTrack. FastTrack offers winshield transponders and also license plate transponders for vehicles with IR glass, reflective coating, etc. I'd be willing to bet that FL has a similar offering.

It looks something like this:
Thank You, Jeremy!

Sunpass offers a front-plate solution as well....They are just stating on their homepage that this version would only be required for cars that have an entirely shielded windshield and that the regular transponder should work in the 7-series if it's mounted in this non-shielded area...I guess they are wrong and the front-plate transponder is the way to go...

Thanks again!
 

·
Do the interns get Glocks
Joined
·
9,324 Posts
Is this the first time you are using SunPass?

I find that they are very easy to use and dont really require any particular mounting location as long as it has a view out the window.

I dont even mount mine in the window as I think they are big and ugly. So I just hold it up to the window or sunroof as I go through.

I just keep it in the console and take it out as I approach the booth then toss it back in the console once through.
 

·
BMW-addicted
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LmtdSlip said:
Is this the first time you are using SunPass?

I find that they are very easy to use and dont really require any particular mounting location as long as it has a view out the window.

I dont even mount mine in the window as I think they are big and ugly. So I just hold it up to the window or sunroof as I go through.

I just keep it in the console and take it out as I approach the booth then toss it back in the console once through.
This is def. NOT the first time I'm using Sunpass and you CAN'T simply put it somewhere at the windshield. Do you own an E65/66 BMW? This car has a IR-reflecting windshield and THAT'S the problem. This shielding makes it impossible for Sunpass to work if it's not located at a specific location. Please keep in mind that not every BMW comes with this kind of windshield...

We also have a Jeep and this SUV has a standard windshield and it works great on that car...
 

·
Do the interns get Glocks
Joined
·
9,324 Posts
Then I presume you have seen this page.

http://www.sunpass.com/windshields.cfm

They recommend mounting it to the left or right of the mirror which sounds like what you are describing but not certain.
 

·
BMW-addicted
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LmtdSlip said:
Then I presume you have seen this page.

http://www.sunpass.com/windshields.cfm

They recommend mounting it to the left or right of the mirror which sounds like what you are describing but not certain.
Yes, exactly..:thumbup: According to Sunpass, the Transponder should be 2" below the top window frame but that would put it partially into the shielded area. I called Sunpass and they will send me a Transponder to mount it at the front license plate...at least I can remove it from the windshield...:p
 

·
Go Gators
Joined
·
10,338 Posts
Dont put that ugly thing on the windshield. If you must, mount it very close the mirror, where you see that little cut out of the tint. What I do is when I go through the tollbooth is I floor it, roll down the window, and give them the 1-finger salute:rofl: . Just kidding!

What I really do is slide the moonroof cover open and put the sunpass thingy up to it and drive through the sunpass lane and it usally goes off.

Depending on what sunpass transponder you have, we have the big old bulky ones that are ancient, you might be able to put the transponder in the moonroof cover without harming it and close it but dont open the moonroof with the button it it will break your glass, I suppose.
 

·
BMW-addicted
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BmW745On19's said:
Dont put that ugly thing on the windshield. If you must, mount it very close the mirror, where you see that little cut out of the tint. What I do is when I go through the tollbooth is I floor it, roll down the window, and give them the 1-finger salute:rofl: . Just kidding!

What I really do is slide the moonroof cover open and put the sunpass thingy up to it and drive through the sunpass lane and it usally goes off.

Depending on what sunpass transponder you have, we have the big old bulky ones that are ancient, you might be able to put the transponder in the moonroof cover without harming it and close it but dont open the moonroof with the button it it will break your glass, I suppose.
Thanks for your practical ideas...:p
As I said, I've ordered this transponder for the front license plate. Let's see how that looks and works...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top