BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got mine, and i'm looking for the best place to install the v1 and put the remote display. I know a lot of people put it to the left of the rearview but i think i might leave it to the right just in case i do get pulled over i kind of want to minimize the chances of the cops spotting it.

I was looking for pics of cools installs. I don't think i'm gonna go as far as doing the remote display in the instrument cluster or the rearview mirror install (i like my autodimming mirror :) )

right now my choice is probably to mount it to the Right of hte Rearview and run the wire over the drivrs side a-pillar and put the small display there. I think i saw Alee have that setup and it seemed pretty cool. I thnk the thick a-pillar also cover the remote display pretty well, so standing outside the drivers window you can't see it at all.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
If you don't have a remote display, to the right of the mirror
seems a bit of a reach as you'll constantly be muting the thing.
(No auto-mute, unfortunately.)

You'll find with it here, no one can see it anyway - you have to
really look for it in order to spot it. I wanted it as close to my
line of sight as possible and still relatively well obscured.

Attachments

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alee, i take it you haven't done the install into the air vents?
were going to run it in to the drivers door vent or the lhs vent in the center vents?

I think i might do what you did (minus the ezass) i'm one of those guys that holds it up to the windsheild :eeps:

i may take a look into the air vent thing

or just do this:

i think there's a place where you can hide the display near the base of the a-pillar. so if someone were hypothectically standing outside my drivers window, looking down into my car they couldn't see the remote display, or the v1 itself.

Alee, your v1 seems installed too high... do you have the blue tint going across the top of your windsheild? b/c that's supposed to effect the v1 performance. if you do't have the blue tint then it's probably better.

*edit: bluer1: yours too, you have it right at the top of your windshield.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
palooka666 said:
Alee, i take it you haven't done the install into the air vents?
were going to run it in to the drivers door vent or the lhs vent in the center vents?
I haven't gotten around to doing the air vent. I was going to buy a spare air vent piece (driver's side) and cut it up so that the remote display fit inside of it. Just haven't had the time to do it.
Alee, your v1 seems installed too high... do you have the blue tint going across the top of your windsheild? b/c that's supposed to effect the v1 performance. if you do't have the blue tint then it's probably better.
No, it clears the tint zone...

Hard to tell in that pic but I'm a good inch below the tint zone.

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good call, you just need the flat part of the detector to be under the blue tint level.

let us know how the vent install works out for you.

you still in nyc? been down to philly lately?

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
palooka666 said:
good call, you just need the flat part of the detector to be under the blue tint level.
Trust me, it is. :D
let us know how the vent install works out for you.
I have a lot of free time, I guess I should buy the part and spend some time trying to make it work. :D
you still in nyc? been down to philly lately?
I still work in Philly. Live in NYC, work in Philly, spend most of my life on Amtrak. :D Luckily I'm on vacation right now. :thumbup:

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
This is the best place for the concealed display if you have a manual. If you have the step, though, it will hide your gear selection in that spot. As far as the V1 unit itself, it's better to keep it to the left of the rearview mirror, so you can reach the mute button easily.

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
Concealed display -

Attachments

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
V1 Unit -

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
here's mine on an E36. Thinking of putting the detector in the third brake light, but for now its where everyone else has it mounted by the visor

Attachments

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
ALEE

I see you have that ugly white box from ez pass on your windshield.I had the same thing and when I traded my 99 323i for the 01 330ci I called ez pass and told them what car I had and that the ez pass box on the windshield interfered with the rain sensor.They sent me a small black box that you fasten onto your front license plate.IT looks 100% better than that ugly white box.
good luck
vern

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: ALEE

vern said:
I see you have that ugly white box from ez pass on your windshield.I had the same thing and when I traded my 99 323i for the 01 330ci I called ez pass and told them what car I had and that the ez pass box on the windshield interfered with the rain sensor.They sent me a small black box that you fasten onto your front license plate.IT looks 100% better than that ugly white box.
I have had no issues with my E-ZPass transponder even with the rain sensor. :dunno:

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
That's one wild installation!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts