BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering where the new 3 series was going to be built, a person on this forum getting his car delivered from South Corolina. I hate to think that BMW is going to manufacture some of their cars in America. I got a US made 318i, which personally i hate. I would much rather the car being built in Germany, and having a vin that starts "W". :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
They aren't built in SC, but a lot of the cars (all?) for the states arrive there from Munich and the other locations prior to moving on to your dealer.

·
Nerd
1,432 Posts
I'd imagine some 3 production will continue in South Africa. Here in the US I saw lots of South Africa produced 325i's while the 330i was always Germany. Any reason that would change?

Personally I wouldn't mind a US-made 3. Maybe when the Z4 gets canned. :eeps:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks god ! , lol I know it wouldn't make any difference to the car, but i don't like it when a car is built out of its orgin country. The 325i is built in south Africa, comes as a suprise to me. All the 325i's we have here are built in Germany. The reason i started this forum was because, i thought bmw went back to its old ways and started manufacuring 3 series models in South Corolina. Many lower end models were manufactured like my 318i and my friends. But doesn't bmw ship their cars to NJ and from their they get transported, just a thought. My 528i must have been shipped to Nova Scotia, and transported down to ontario from there. Honestly, i can't wait until the new 3 series gets here, but i would wait atleast 2 years, because i am full sure interior and exterior will change for the better during the first few years.

E36-1996-1998- digital climate control, new radio, and interior dimensions

the difference i notice between the 1999 and 2000 were different style heated seat buttons, 4 speed automatic transmission.

So i think it would be a good idea to wait a couple of years, but i will difinetly test drive one :rofl: :rofl:

·
3,440 Posts
Pangearox said:
im pretty sure there is a plant in the states that builds X3's aswell
Sorry...but you are incorrect. There is only one BMW plant in the US. The ONLY vehicles that have been produced at the Greer, SC plant are as follows: E36 318i, E36/7 Z3, E53 X5, and the E85 Z4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sean said:
E90s are built in Munich, Regensburg, Leipzig, and some E90 325 sedans will be produced in South Africa.

BMW NA uses the following ports, Charleston, SC, NJ, and CA.
I had lunch today with the editor of a local car magazine. He was at the Roslyn production plant in Pretoria yesterday, and there were US destined 330i + 325i Left hand drives coming off the line.

·
Registered
146 Posts
swanich said:
I had lunch today with the editor of a local car magazine. He was at the Roslyn production plant in Pretoria yesterday, and there were US destined 330i + 325i Left hand drives coming off the line.
We're getting e90 330i's (SA) now? Thats news to me...I was under the impression we only get 325i's from SA, like with the e46. Not that there is anything wrong with it. In fact, it is probably better quality than those coming from Munich or Regensburg :eek: ; we have yet to see how the Leipzig plant will fare.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sean said:
Sorry...but you are incorrect. There is only one BMW plant in the US. The ONLY vehicles that have been produced at the Greer, SC plant are as follows: E36 318i, E36/7 Z3, E53 X5, and the E85 Z4.
Absolutely correct. I used to live in Greenville (Greenville/Spartanburg is basically one big metro area with Greer squished in the middle next to the airport) and went to IT classes with a lot of their computer jockeys. Also, several friends work there both on the line and in management. The hiring and training process is extensive (total of 12 months minimum). In keeping with the German auto maker mentality - employees who build 'em also get to drive 'em (dirt cheap leases, etc.). However, if the network crashes (SAP shop) that's about US$350,000 - $500,000 per hour of downtime. Essentially, zero tolerance for downtime on the networks and that's about how they run the rest of the plant. People included. Build quality has been as good as any other BMW Manufacturing facility. Although I chuckle everytime I see a X5. Your $60,000 German SUV - made with pride in Greer, SC. The local joke is BMW = 'Bubba's makin' wheels'. Oh - and any BMW is available for Performance Delivery Center pickup in Greer. Actually - a GREAT experience from everyone I know who's done it. Learn how to drive your exact model from the local hotshoes on the private PDC track. Euro Delivery is not available on X5's and Z4's for a reason. Although you can go get your straight from the factory in Greer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.