Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my 2012 750i in for service tomorrow and think I need a new battery too. I am getting low battery warnings.

Question, is there an easy (don’t need a wrench) way to know if I have a 90 or 105 battery now? Will be a healthy difference in price if I am not paying for the new one.

Thanks

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,455 Posts
Low battery warnings are caused by short trip driving habits causing inadequate charging. Buy a CTEK battery CHARGER and charge IAW the charger***8217;s manual AND your owners manual.

If you must replace the battery, then buy the highest AH capacity one that will physically fit in the hole, properly hook up to the terminals, and vent properly. With YOUR proper battery charger, charge the new battery on the bench before installation. Install / have the battery installed.

REGISTGER the battery for best service life. The new battery will work without being registered but it will not last as long, and maybe not very long at all.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I am taking my 2012 750i in for service tomorrow and think I need a new battery too. I am getting low battery warnings.

Question, is there an easy (don’t need a wrench) way to know if I have a 90 or 105 battery now? Will be a healthy difference in price if I am not paying for the new one.

Thanks
If you can open your trunk, lift/remove the trunk floor panel, and bend over far enough into the trunk to read the specs on the battery's label...then yes, you can do it. The only issue you may have is that a bracket or other piece may be covering the writing on the label...then you may need...dun, da, da (cue the horror soundtrack)...a wrench to move it out of the way.

But it doesn't cost anything to take a look to see if the info is visible. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
I believe that BMW is upgrading the battery from a 90 amp, to a 105 amp battery due to the problems from cooling off the turbos.

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
You can install the 105 amp battery, & make the needed changes while registering the battery to the car. If you are taking the car to BMW, this is what they will do.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,021 Posts
You can install the 105 amp battery, & make the needed changes while registering the battery to the car. If you are taking the car to BMW, this is what they will do.
When the dealer upgraded my battery to the 105Ah, they said it required reprogrammed the car and I got it back with a higher I-Step. SI B61 30 14 specifies the steps below. I don't know why it's required though, maybe the older software does not support entering 105Ah?

5. Register the new battery using ISTA. Refer to SI B61 15 12.
a. Select “Enter battery replacement: same capacity” if the same size battery was installed. The
replacement is finished. No further steps are needed.
b. Select “Enter battery replacement: higher/lower capacity” if the higher capacity 105 Ah battery was
installed in place of the 90Ah battery. Proceed to the next step.
6. Start an ISTA/P session using the latest version of ISTA/P.
7. Select “Conversions/Retrofits” and select “Retrofit, 105 Ah AGM Battery” for the first
replacement/upgrade only. Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all
programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.
8. After the programming is finished, the battery replacement is finished.
Always connect a BMW approved battery charger/power supply (SI B04 23 10).

·
Nuclear engineer
17,455 Posts
maybe the older software does not support entering 105Ah?
I believe that is correct, that the capacities are presented in a dropdown box and additional capacity options can be added.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Low battery warnings are caused by short trip driving habits causing inadequate charging. Buy a CTEK battery CHARGER and charge IAW the charger's manual AND your owners manual.

If you must replace the battery, then buy the highest AH capacity one that will physically fit in the hole, properly hook up to the terminals, and vent properly. With YOUR proper battery charger, charge the new battery on the bench before installation. Install / have the battery installed.

REGISTGER the battery for best service life. The new battery will work without being registered but it will not last as long, and maybe not very long at all.
I think there is thread somewhere with me pleading with you to register your battery and you insisting it wasn't necessary. Guess you learned the hard way.....:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
I am having the sane issue, so should i go with a 105?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you look for the 90 amp batter on a BMW website, the 90 amp battery is no longer available. The link below will show that the 92 amp battery has been discontinued. If you are purchasing a new battery, I would suggest the 105 amp battery. The update in amperage can be done when the battery is registered to the car, with the proper software.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F...hicle_electrical_system/original_bmw_battery/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks folks, I did have the 90 and am getting a new 105 on BMW. Now we will see what the results of the rest of the testing show.

And QSilver7, thank you for a good chuckle from your humorous response. I was just being lazy :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks folks, I did have the 90 and am getting a new 105 on BMW. Now we will see what the results of the rest of the testing show.

And QSilver7, thank you for a good chuckle from your humorous response. I was just being lazy :)

Hi Simon

Is bmw doing it under warranty?
Or are you coming out of pocket for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
17,455 Posts
Hi Simon. Is bmw doing it under warranty? Or are you coming out of pocket for it?
BMW has explicit battery warranty claim rejection criteria listed in Battery Basics.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
:thumbup: ...and thank you for seeing the humor...on some forums...you have to "walk-on-eggshells" due to some members having really "fragile" sensibilities. :eeps:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts