????

• X5 4.4i

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • 540iT

Votes: 54 58.1%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
G

·
I'll take the lower center of gravity any day. Being free from the SUV-lemming stigma is a bonus.

(God, how I hate SUVs. Even BMW SUVs.)

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
SUV's are way cool. I'll take the X5. And knowing that SUV's p*ss Tom off is an added bonus.

;-)

Seeya Friday Tom.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JPinTO said:

Have you driven one?
I have driven both, The 540 is better.

So, you buy an SUV that has low ground clearance, 19" SPORTS tires, slower than the wagon, and less cargo room than the wagon. Hmmm.....

If you NEED an SUV to go off-road and want it to be luxurious, get a JGC or Land Rover. Don't expect it to handle well and be a REAL utility vehicle...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JPinTO said:

Have you driven one?

I haven't been a fan of the X5's looks and figured a SUV is a SUV. But an X5 is no SUV. I always laughed at the silly "SAV" acronym that BMW coined, but the reality is that the X5 does not fit in to the SUV slot.

#1: There is NO utility. #2: It can't go offroad #3: It corners like a car... minimal body roll! It's a tall sports car.
That is much slower than the wagon and more expensive. Why not get the wagon then?

G

·
nate328Ci said:

I have driven both, The 540 is better.

So, you buy an SUV that has low ground clearance, 19" SPORTS tires, slower than the wagon, and less cargo room than the wagon. Hmmm.....

If you NEED an SUV to go off-road and want it to be luxurious, get a JGC or Land Rover. Don't expect it to handle well and be a REAL utility vehicle...
Don't forget the higher center of gravity, inflated price, and lemming stigma.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TD said:

Some will say that the CG is "only" 3 inches higher, that is much higher...

as for price, see above :p

BMWs already have a stigma, why add SUV stigma? :dunno:

SUVs have thier place for people that actually need them...but, almost no one does.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
TD said:

while points 1 and 2 have merit, worrying about "lemming stigma" is the same kind of thing as buying one cuz how people perceive bmws. i dont care what people think of me. i didnt buy a bmw cuz the name, i dont care if people think i bought an suv because everyone has one. yes the wagon is all the x5 is and lower center of gravity, but i'd rather the x5

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alex Baumann said:
BTW, why are they called Sport Utility Vehicle ? Utility yes, Vehicle yes, but Sport ? :confused:
One of the world's mysteries....

The Range Rover started this class back in the 70s, it was called a "utility vehicle" The damn thing went anywhere, can't say that about an X5...

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
JPinTO said:

I have a full fledged utility vehicle that can go offroad. I never go offroad with it.

What my wife wants is a super safe vehicle with a commanding view of the road, that gives you half a chance of surviving when an Escalade impacts you.

In an ideal world, I'd agree with you... but in the real world of endless traffic jams, heavy commercial traffic, I'm afraid that practicality and safety become paramount. I don't live in Kansas anymore... this megacity is absolutely huge now with traffic equivalent to the big US cities. Road rage and stress is increasing.

I laugh at the guys driving Sunfire's and Z3's when I drive behind them in our truck. Our headlights are taller than the roof of those things. IMO, you take your life into your own hands driving one of those small things.

PS: Getting anal about safety. Baby coming in 3 weeks! :D :D :D :p
Excursion diesel is the way to go, I think.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.