BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which Brand of Clutch

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  16valex 
#1 ·
I want to stick with OEM. Should I go with Luk or Sachs? And should I replace my fly wheel? 97-528 with 152K miles.

#5 ·
Wow Autozone sells fly wheels for our cars!:yikes:

#18 ·
The dual-mass flywheel should last at least another 100k miles. If the clutch is replaced in time without damage to the flywheel then I would invest the money in an upgraded clutch in order to get more miles for the same labor cost. Thus, save the $400-$900 from the new flywheel you wanted and get a clutch with higher temperature tolerances than the OEM clutch. UUC has really nice items. Your other option is to get an aluminum flywheel with a carbon clutch but you are up there on pricing ($1,400 to $2,000 on parts alone) Check other reputable brands if you don***8217;t like UCC, LUK or Sachs. I have 180k on my E39 with one clutch job (LUK OEM) and the same factory installed flywheel (resurfaced when the clutch was replaced.) Let us know how it goes.

#20 ·
only 152K I just replaced mine @ 173.5K AND, AND, I learned how to drive on that clutch....

You cannot resurface a dual mass flywheel. There is no two ways about it. If there are hotspots or scoring it must be replaced.
Exactly....I just had my clutch replaced and I luckly did not have to do the flywheel.

Also, go OEM BMW on the parts. Mine were abot $250 from the dealer (but I get a good discount).

#21 ·
only 152K I just replaced mine @ 173.5K AND, AND, I learned how to drive on that clutch....

Exactly....I just had my clutch replaced and I luckly did not have to do the flywheel.

Also, go OEM BMW on the parts. Mine were abot $250 from the dealer (but I get a good discount).
173K and you learned how to drive clutch on it! That's very good to hear and maybe I shoudn't have worried about my clutch until 250K then!

I'm jealous that you only paid $250 for the clutch kit at the dealer:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.