Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. We are now loaded up with an excessive number of BMWs in our driveway. A new 530xiT; a 330i sedan; and a 325xiT. We need to sell one of the 3s. We've got the two dogs to haul and a baby on the way. Plus, the occasionally creaky parent/inlaw to chauffeur. The little wagon is a step transmission; the sedan a manual with the sport suspension and package. We live on a hill that's nasty in bad weather (but I have snow tires/wheels for the sedan).

Mileage on the two 3s is in the low 2X,XXX for both. The sedan is a 2002 with about three months more warranty and no more free maintenance. The wagon is a 2003 with another 1 1/2 years of both.

My partner has a preference to keep the little wagon because she hates driving or riding in my sedan (the hard ride; the stick) and thinks the versatility of having the two wagons is a plus. I have a preference to keep the sedan, well, because it drives like a real BMW should and it provides a real contrast in vehicles. It is also one of the rare flawless cars I've ever owned (knock wood).

Practically speaking, it makes sense to keep both wagons. Emotionally, I would really miss the sedan. The little wagon would end up as my daily driver, so I would bear the brunt of the sacrifice. However, when we bought the first wagon my partner gave up her Z3.

I understand it's a lucky dilemma to have; but a dilemma nonetheless. Any opinions or advice?

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,010 Posts
WDC330i said:
I need some advice. We are now loaded up with an excessive number of BMWs in our driveway. A new 530xiT; a 330i sedan; and a 325xiT. We need to sell one of the 3s. We've got the two dogs to haul and a baby on the way. Plus, the occasionally creaky parent/inlaw to chauffeur. The little wagon is a step transmission; the sedan a manual with the sport suspension and package. We live on a hill that's nasty in bad weather (but I have snow tires/wheels for the sedan).

Mileage on the two 3s is in the low 2X,XXX for both. The sedan is a 2002 with about three months more warranty and no more free maintenance. The wagon is a 2003 with another 1 1/2 years of both.

My partner has a preference to keep the little wagon because she hates driving or riding in my sedan (the hard ride; the stick) and thinks the versatility of having the two wagons is a plus. I have a preference to keep the sedan, well, because it drives like a real BMW should and it provides a real contrast in vehicles. It is also one of the rare flawless cars I've ever owned (knock wood).

Practically speaking, it makes sense to keep both wagons. Emotionally, I would really miss the sedan. The little wagon would end up as my daily driver, so I would bear the brunt of the sacrifice. However, when we bought the first wagon my partner gave up her Z3.

I understand it's a lucky dilemma to have; but a dilemma nonetheless. Any opinions or advice?
If you have to bear the brunt of the daily drive, I say keep the car that you like best :)

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
Me530 said:
If you have to bear the brunt of the daily drive, I say keep the car that you like best :)
Great advice!

·
German freak
316 Posts
Sometimes you have to sacrifice. Family, in this case, would come first I'm afraid.

Having said that, if the wife is driving the 530xiT (with dogs and new kiddo), why are you thinking it's practical to have two wagons? For your own commute the 330i should work. No?

·
Registered
286 Posts
For peace with your significant other, and for practicality, I suggest keeping the wagon. It is AWD, your significant other can drive it in a pinch, without hating it (and you), and you maintain harmony in your household. It also has 1 1/2 years of warranty and maintenance left. Keep the snow tires and put them on your xiT.

But then again my significant other tells me that I am too practical, so maybe I a biased.

Can you swing keeping all three?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts