BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I continue to explore the details of my new 2012 X3 35i, I notice my left intake grille in the lower bumper is actually really functional, as opposed to every other X3 I've seen with the dummy grille. There is a great big oil cooler stuffed into the left fender and it vents into the wheel well. Is anyone familiar with which configuration items result in inclusion of the oil cooler?

As I've learned is typical, I get as many answers as there are people to ask--my dealer says I ordered the "Hot Weather Package"---BMW corporate says there is no such item as Hot Weather Package, but no one seems to know from whence the oil cooler cometh. Or is the oil cooler a 35i item due to the turbo and increased output?

The oil temperature seeks and holds about two needle widths below the 250 degree stroke. If my Porsche experience is any indicator, these engines are at least partly cooled by the oil.

thanks for any insights

Luna-01

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The oil cooler in the functional left intake is a 35i feature, but not a feature on the 28i. I don't know if it also is included on the Diesels, as I can't buy one and haven't looked.

If you want to drill down into the actual configuration and part numbers then take a look at realoem.com You'll find some interesting things there, including the F25's Engine Oil Cooler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what configs get the oil cooler

Got it, thank you--I should have thought of the Real OEM info source--I've used it for such purposes before.

good luck to all with their nifty vehicles!

Luna-01

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,263 Posts
I recently tracked our X3 35i. It was in relatively cool temperatures, but there was no discernible rise in oil temperature. I didn't hook up my scangauge to check water. I also didn't push it quite as hard as I push my M Coupe. But I was running 8-9/10ths for a session on a track I know to be potentially hostile to engine temps. So my initial conclusion is that the X3 35i won't suffer from the limp mode problems that plagued the early N54 E90s.

·
Registered
189 Posts
YEP my 35D M Sport needs the extra cooling, it's soooo quick :bigpimp:
35d isn't an option for us in the US so I went with the 35i. The strange thing to me it the 35D has a slight HP advantage and a big Torque advantage over the 35i but BMW's official numbers show the 35i is a 10th of a second faster than the 35D in the 0-100 kph test. The 35D is a little heaver than the 35i but I would have thought the big torque advantage would have overcome the extra weight. Either way the X3 is a really quick SAV.

·
Registered
940 Posts
35d isn't an option for us in the US so I went with the 35i. The strange thing to me it the 35D has a slight HP advantage and a big Torque advantage over the 35i but BMW's official numbers show the 35i is a 10th of a second faster than the 35D in the 0-100 kph test. The 35D is a little heaver than the 35i but I would have thought the big torque advantage would have overcome the extra weight. Either way the X3 is a really quick SAV.
There is a tuning option out here now for the 35D X3, it improves things a lot.

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and..._kw_LC0/crtd2_diesel_tuning_box_bmw_x3_xdrive

385 BHP :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.