Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of problems with the electronics and wonder if they are off of 1 or several modules:

front left turn-signal malfunction (light is fine, not burned out!)
comfort access for the driver door handle
rear antenna, error - tailgate wont open via key fob or the "handle"button
tailgate does not open via dash switch

Carly does not show which module(s) is/are affected

I have an appointment next week and want to be knowledgeable before I show up.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Well, external lamp monitoring is by the Footwell Module - FRM, notoriously fragile. ETA: FRM also is involved in CAS.

BMW E70 Exterior Lighting said:
Lamp Monitoring
The footwell monitors all lamps of the exterior lighting system both when switched on and when switched off. The monitoring function starts as from "Terminal 15 ON".

Cold Monitoring
Cold monitoring is based on measuring the current of the individual lamp outputs. The current pulse used for measurement purposes is so short that the lamps are not illuminated. The footwell module evaluates the individual lamp outputs to establish whether there is a line break or a lamp bulb is defective.
The number of current pulses is increased significantly during the first 4 s after "Terminal 15 ON". to check whether the lamps are in working order before setting off. This function is referred to as the pre-drive check.

The number of pulses is then reduced after the pre-drive check. Power is then applied to the lamps every 1.5 minutes.
The raised brake light and tail lights are not included in the cold monitoring function. The LEDs of the brake lights or tail lights react too fast to the current pulse and would consequently light up. This also applies to the rear direction indicator lights as the side direction indicator repeaters are connected together with the rear direction indicator lights.

The bi-xenon headlight is also not included in the cold monitoring. Legal regulations pro- hibit the current pulse to the bi-xenon headlight.

Hot Monitoring
Hot monitoring is based on measuring the current of the individual lamp outputs. The lamp current is used to detect an overload or interruption (break).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
... rear antenna, error - tailgate wont open via key fob or the "handle"button ***8212; tailgate does not open via dash switch
How did you associate ***8220;not open via dash switch***8221; with ***8220;rear antenna error***8221; / ***8220;key fob***8221;?

Anyway, IIRC the liftgate module is HKL, but I***8217;ll check ... yep

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you associate "not open via dash switch" with "rear antenna error" / "key fob"?

Anyway, IIRC the liftgate module is HKL, but I'll check ... yep
The tailgate does not open via any of these 3 procedures, (1) approach with fob in pocket and try to use latch button, (2) press the key fob button, (3) use the button on the lower center consul.

The fob button is trying to communicate with the "rear antenna" per posts on this site, and this malfunction was verified by Carly diagnosis.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
FRM module is suspect. Under extended warranty to 10/120 IIRC.
Anything like a new battery recently? Either way, if FRM is bad, it may be on BMW's dime. You may have other things going on besides FRM.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,799 Posts
Be cautious with the dealer.

They'd rather charge you $$$$ then get $50 from BMWNA to install a free FRM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts