BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be doing a cooling refresh on my 03 540 next spring. My 540 currently has 50,300 miles in it. I'll probably be at 53,000 next April. FCPeuro is selling two cooling kits; a basic and a comprehensive. Which one should I do given that I don't drive a lot of miles but my car will be 14 years old next year. This 540 will be with me for a lot more years.

basic cooling kit - $443
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-basic-cooling-system-service-kit-e38coolingkitbase

comp cooling kit - $600
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-cooling-system-overhaul-kit-e38coolingkit

On either kit, I will be adding a serpentine belt and expansion tank. should I go for the comprehensive kit and maybe save a little on the labor cost?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I think you posted the same link to both.
If you are monitoring then do the basic and check each weekend.
Peace of mind, comprehensive.
But I don't think either includes the heater hoses et al that are part of the cooling system but normally "forgotten"... Until they fail...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooops...corrected that. Also, just found out that the expansion tank is part of the comprehensive cooling kit.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ditch the OEM cooling pressure cap and pick one up from germanautosolutions so you can run at the correct PSI to make your system last a bit longer. But then again that lifetime warranty is nice

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
....that nice looking GAS cap has no effect on the normal operating pressure of the cooling system; the only thing it does is open (to relieve coolant to atmosphere ) at a lower pressure value than an OEM cap.....the only time that occurs is when the system is over-pressurized (typically happens when car overheats). During normal operation the coolant pressure is ALWAYS below the cap's relief pressure rating, whether it's an OEM or GAS cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts