BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By better I mean for longest engine life.... If I went turbo what modifacations would I have to make to the engine so it could handle it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey Fox i've been thinking bout putting a turbo in my small engine too but i read on the forums that turbos cause a lot more problems than superchargers. I guess ideally you'd have 2 turbos for the diff. ranges but apparently they drain the engine's life where as a supercharger is advisable instead. I hope someone knowledgeable comes in soon and answers the question as i'd like to know this too!

·
blank
1,614 Posts
forced induction is a mod that needs to be done right in order to produce adequate results and quality. the engine internals need to be reinforced to handle the new added boost. turbo'ing is not really practical unless you're going to a drag strip, but will produce higher top end. supercharging will have less top end power than turbo, but will give power on demand throughout the revs. the search option is always a good way to learn about forced induction, as it has been covered VERY frequently. also look at the ForcedInduction forum thats on this website

·
blank
1,614 Posts
you'll still need to strengthen the engine and make it capable of forced induction. you cant just slap a supercharger on there and not expect problems. do some research and really look at how much its going to cost.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The supercharger it self is about $5,000... as far as reinforcing the engine I haven't found out a price yet.... or what I need to do to it.....

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
You make no sense. You have a 1992 320i, but are willing to spend 5k alone on the supercharger. Sell it and get a 328i with the money and the money you'll save from not supercharging! :mad:

That's just common sense. It's just not worth supercharging such an old car with a worn out small engine when you could just get a better car.

And why do you have a 6 speed gearbox? A 2 litre engine doesn't have enough torque or power to make use of that at high or low speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the sixth speed is an over drive for fith when i need it.... and i use it often.... and the Guy put a brand new engine it when I bought it.... It had to be special ordered but still worth the pain.... and all the body styles after that year suck ass execpt for a 95 318 has an allright body style.... Besides old is better.... Ialso have a 1972 dodge challenger a 73 challenger convertable and soon to be a 09 challenger.... only because dodge didn't fu*k it up like the charger

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Yeah the car will trundle along in 6th, but it can't be very fast accelerating if you floor it. Must be good for cruising though so I guess that's how you use it. With the fact the engine is quite new and you have a 6th speed gearbox, supercharging doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I love my car.... It purrs like a kitten.... To tell you the truth I was kind of suprised.... It's not too fast but it will do 200k at about 5600 rpm... red line is 6700.... With that CAI it sounds like a beast under hard acceleration.... I still have to be carful with that for another 3000k or so though.... Sorry if I offended you with the body style comment.... Do you have any plans for your car???

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah the car will trundle along in 6th, but it can't be very fast accelerating if you floor it.
how often do u think he needs to floor it in 6th gear? what, unless theres a quad turbo v12 steam roller behind him? :rofl:

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
I love my car.... It purrs like a kitten.... To tell you the truth I was kind of suprised.... It's not too fast but it will do 200k at about 5600 rpm... red line is 6700.... With that CAI it sounds like a beast under hard acceleration.... I still have to be carful with that for another 3000k or so though.... Sorry if I offended you with the body style comment.... Do you have any plans for your car???
Nah, the plan for my car is to get rid of it when I'm no longer a student, and get a newer, safer, more comfortable and much more powerful BMW! You can see the mods I have done in my signature, nothing special, it was just to make the car a bit easier to live with!

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
how often do u think he needs to floor it in 6th gear? what, unless theres a quad turbo v12 steam roller behind him? :rofl:
The point is, the car won't accelerate much in 6th, so to nip in and out of gaps on the highway he'll need to constantly change to 4th or 5th gear...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mabe its only good in Germany where I got he car.... Bacause on the Autobahn the germans get out of your way when you are moving far faster than them.... In america people are too stubborn to get out of the way....

·
Registered
512 Posts
The point is, the car won't accelerate much in 6th, so to nip in and out of gaps on the highway he'll need to constantly change to 4th or 5th gear...
thats a shame :p

i have a mate who drives a FPV Typhoon, (5.7L V8) 6Spd manual. were going up the highway doing 150kms in 4th gear at like 4500 revs, and i said 'matt, why are u sitting in 4th gear?'.
his response was 'cos if i need to accelerate theres not enough torque in 5th / 6th'.

my question is.... WHY THE HELL would we need to accelerate out of 150kmph? :rofl:

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts

i have a mate who drives a FPV Typhoon, (5.7L V8) 6Spd manual. were going up the highway doing 150kms in 4th gear at like 4500 revs, and i said 'matt, why are u sitting in 4th gear?'.
his response was 'cos if i need to accelerate theres not enough torque in 5th / 6th'.

my question is.... WHY THE HELL would we need to accelerate out of 150kmph? :rofl:
I think you're mad. When would you not floor it on the highway? Don't you get dickheads trying to beat you up the inside lane, don't you nip into gaps, leave the highway slip road at the last possible moment, overtake on the inside etc? Those are all times when you need to accelerate hard at over 90mph! Loser! Haha. We're talking about a 2 litre engine here...without the supercharger

But I do realise you think you are being funny, you can't help being a tool :p

·
U know how the game goes
705 Posts
By better I mean for longest engine life.... If I went turbo what modifacations would I have to make to the engine so it could handle it?
A supercharger.

Because a centrifugal blower only feeds boost to the motor at wide open throttle (or close to it). And even then they only create max boost if you take it all the way to redline. During everyday cruising at partial throttle you are not under boost and engine wear is the same as stock.

Turbo boost is independent of throttle position and max boost is achieved at any RPM above their spooling RPM. With a well designed turbo kit you are pretty much always under boost.

And there are no commercially available twin turbo kits for the e36 (in the U.S. at least).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Because sooner than later It will be good enough to race.... 6th is for crusing at 190k so I can get a decent MPG rating.... Untill I get it good enough to race on the weekend.... And because 150K is only like 75MPH and that is too fu**ing slow....:tsk:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts