BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now with two cars with RFTs (although the X5 does have the spare) I figured I'd better equip myself with at least one mobility kit. After some research I am not sure which one, if any, is right.

From Continental's point of view, their Comfort Kit should not be used with tires exceeding 43 psi. As my 335IS does carry 46 psi in the rears, this would seem to disqalify it, from rear duty at least.

The BMW kit says not for RFTs. End of discussion?

Thinking I'll just get me an ok compressor from the local auto shop or Amazon and be done with it. Maybe some Slime? That stuff worked great on my riding mower but I do believe speeds on that would be a bit slower than a 335is :D

Recommendations on compressors? Preferably Amazon-available...

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Get the Conti Comfort Kit and when you have to use it don't inflate the tire above 43 PSI.

The advantage of the Conti Kit is that the slime is injected through the hose and you do not have to remove the valve insert.

CA

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mobility kit is for non-runflats. Runflats run when they're "flat" (lose pressure)... what are we talking about here? :dunno:
Actually that's a good question. I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid or at least over-cautious. But with a family trip coming up (in X5) I would like to avoid nasty surprises. I guess my thought is that if the Conti 'slime' is good enough for use in RFTs and I follow CA's sensible advice (why didn't I think of that?) then I could drive the car to a well-populated area and weigh my options there.

Also one or the other of these kits are popular with many users here. As BMWs have been running RFTs for some time now (not sure when they started), this would mean that many board members think along the lines of my para above...?

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
Actually that's a good question. I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid or at least over-cautious. But with a family trip coming up (in X5) I would like to avoid nasty surprises. I guess my thought is that if the Conti 'slime' is good enough for use in RFTs and I follow CA's sensible advice (why didn't I think of that?) then I could drive the car to a well-populated area and weigh my options there.

Also one or the other of these kits are popular with many users here. As BMWs have been running RFTs for some time now (not sure when they started), this would mean that many board members think along the lines of my para above...?
Many users replace their RFTs in favor of non-RFTs and much buzz has been made over how best to mitigate the problem that poses with the 3er's lack of spare tire.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts

If you have RFTs AND a spare in your X5, what are you worried about? If you get a flat tire you just drive it to somewhere where you can get the tire repaired/replaced. If that distance is too far, or you have a sidewall blowout, just put on the spare. How much backup do you need? You are being paranoid!

During the 1700 miles that we put on our car in Europe during our 15 day European Delivery trip we got a flat tire when we picked up a screw on the 9th day. Unfortunately, this was on a Saturday afternoon in Germany which means that nothing can be done until Monday morning. The tire was replaced at a nearby BMW service center (they don't patch tires in Germany) and we continued on our way. That was a fluke and could have happened anywhere. If it had happened here under similar circumstances, we probably would have been able to have the tire replaced within a couple of hours.

Since our redelivery we've made one long distance trip from San Diego to Monterey and back and another longish trip to Oxnard and back with no problems.

·
15,956 Posts
Although you can drive on an RFT without air in it the tire can be destroyed. If the tire lost air due to a puncture or a slow leak it makes sense to inflate the tire rather than drive on it with low pressure.

CA

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have RFTs AND a spare in your X5, what are you worried about? If you get a flat tire you just drive it to somewhere where you can get the tire repaired/replaced. If that distance is too far, or you have a sidewall blowout, just put on the spare. How much backup do you need? You are being paranoid!
While we will be making the trip in the X5 I am in a way more concerned about the 335IS. I actually figure I'd keep the kit in that car (335) and put it in the X5 only for trips.

Since our redelivery we've made one long distance trip from San Diego to Monterey and back and another longish trip to Oxnard and back with no problems.
OK... but this doesn't predict what will/can/might happen on your next trip to the grocery store. Just saying that randomness happens, and although I wasn't ever a Boy Scout I might as well have been.

·
15,956 Posts
Whenever I am confronted with a "but nothing has ever happened" argument I explain that I have a life insurance policy in spite of the fact that I have never died,

CA

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
Whenever I am confronted with a "but nothing has ever happened" argument I explain that I have a life insurance policy in spite of the fact that I have never died,

CA
But do you have toilet paper insurance just in case you run out of toilet paper? I don't think there is enough risk here to justify spending money on a mobility kit, but then again it's not really that expensive. If it gives the OP some peace of mind... by all means. On the other hand, I bought tire and wheel insurance because I'm riding on 19" wheels. Destroying a runflat is not really a concern for me.

·
15,956 Posts
But do you have toilet paper insurance just in case you run out of toilet paper? I don't think there is enough risk here to justify spending money on a mobility kit, but then again it's not really that expensive. If it gives the OP some peace of mind... by all means. On the other hand, I bought tire and wheel insurance because I'm riding on 19" wheels. Destroying a runflat is not really a concern for me.
I use compressor part of my mobility kit regularly to add air to the tires,

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts

CA
As a demographer who studies mortality for a living this made my day.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Is there anything special about the BMW Mobility Kit? I am choosing between 3 options:
1) BMW Mobility Kit $135 at Tischer
2) Continental Kit $80 at Tire Rack
3) Lexus F-Sport Tire Repair Kit $66 at Sewell Online

I am probably going to get the Lexus kit which is an all in one which operates with or without sealant and has a case, unless the BMW is special.

·
15,956 Posts
Is there anything special about the BMW Mobility Kit? I am choosing between 3 options:
1) BMW Mobility Kit $135 at Tischer
2) Continental Kit $80 at Tire Rack

I am probably going to get the Lexus kit which is an all in one which operates with or without sealant and has a case, unless the BMW is special.
It isn't

CA

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts

I looked at sewellparts.com and all of the Lexus F-Sport Tire Repair Systems were $91.99.

What's the URL?

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I looked at sewellparts.com and all of the Lexus F-Sport Tire Repair Systems were $91.99.

What's the URL?
If you create a login on sewellparts.com and include a ClubLexus.com username, you get amazingly low prices. This item goes from $92 to $66.

I wish we had a bimmerfest vendor deal like that for BMW parts.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
If you create a login on sewellparts.com and include a ClubLexus.com username, you get amazingly low prices. This item goes from $92 to $66.

I wish we had a bimmerfest vendor deal like that for BMW parts.
That's a significant discount!

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
My guess is that you will not replace the RFTs with RFTs. I carry a Mobility kit plus a tire plug kit plus an extra compressor 12VDC. That gives me peace of mind since where I drive at times there is NO cell phone coverage and is pretty remote at times.
The Mobility kit works with and without sealant. I have used my tire plug kit to repair a tire and it worked just fine and was not hard to use.

In retrospec the only drawback I discovered with my RFT Conti SSRs was the harsh energy transmission hitting an expansion strip or anything irregular. Other than that the SSRs were quieter than my Michelin Pilot Sports A/S Plus. I do think that the manufacturers are improving the RFTs to a point that they may not have drawbacks. However availability is and has been my concern. FWIW I have a spare tire and rim at each of my homes for that just in case situation where I might bend a rim. I bent two and replaced them got the bent ones fixed as backups for just such a repeat situation. Less concerned about a flat tire than bending a rim...

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I have a kit (and tire plugs, and a jack, and a rudimentary tool kit) because I am not a lucky person. I think that it might be useful to have because if I get a flat it will be 20 miles away from Mexican Hat, Utah where cell phones don't work because that are no cell phone towers.

Better to spend a few bucks than to get eaten by coyotes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a kit (and tire plugs, and a jack, and a rudimentary tool kit) because I am not a lucky person. I think that it might be useful to have because if I get a flat it will be 20 miles away from Mexican Hat, Utah where cell phones don't work because that are no cell phone towers.

Better to spend a few bucks than to get eaten by coyotes.
Instead of all that tire gear, buy a gun and a campfire kit. Then the coyotes get eaten by you instead. Renewable resource!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.