Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing my first BMW and was just wondering if someone could give me an idea at what BMW i should be looking out for reliability wise?

Cheers.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,445 Posts
The one that you can***8217;t afford, a new one.

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm wanting to spend a decent amount on a used one ($15k USD) or so, i'm just not up there with euro cars, so i'm not exactly sure what to look out for

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,445 Posts
My used BMW cost ~$50K and has been very reliable. It was 36K miles and 3 years old when I bought it. In April 2020 it was paid off at 8 years old and about 90K miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to do your homework. Suggest you check carcomplaints.com, repairpal.com and J.D. Powers. You can also check Consumer Reports past yearly auto issues as well as the annual buying guide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm obviously quite biased but a well-sorted E39 inline-6 engine is quite bulletproof if you take care of the usual items (cooling system)

a few questions I would ask are:
Are you looking for a 4d or 2d?
minimum year, model or bodystyle of interest?
are you looking for something that doesnt require any wrenching from you for x # of years? basic oil change every year like a japanese car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Buddy look at the the earlier models of this current generation.

The 2015 BMW 435i SPORT (F32) is a FANTASTIC car. It comes with the buttery smooth inline 6 that BMW is known for. The body lines are gorgeous on the coupes. Not too agressive but just aggressive enough that it's not frumpy. And the reliability has been absolutely phenomenal. This is my 4th BMW. I owned the predessor to this car which was the BMW 335i. Mine was a 2008 and it had some funky issues like cracked rims, oil burn, dirty valve issues, and then one time my trunk leaked causing my radio amp to burn up (which was like $1750 to fix). However my 2015 BMW 435i Sport, 2016 X5 xDrive50i, and 2008 Z4 have all been fantastic cars. I'm holding out on the new body style 4 series or the Porsche 718 Cayman GTS4.0 for my next car. That new GTS4.0 is wicked (flat 6cyl 400+ hp). Kinda reminds you of the old 911's.

I If you want a sleeper car with fantastic suspension and unique black/shadow accents look at the BMW SPORT models (not M Sport). You can tell these models by their black mirrors, black head liners, and black shadow trim.

Mine is at 53,000mi and other the schedule maintenance, I haven't had a single failure other then a fuse I had to replace for my cigarette lighter.

These cars are great. They have just over 300hp with the dynamic M Sport suspension, sport shift. A bunch of people don't even know these "sports models" exist but it for look hard you can easily find one. The non sport models are great too. They are available in a coupe, a 4 door Gran Coupe model, and a convertible.

The best part is since the newer generation is rolling out you can scoop these up for like $15 grand now. If you want something more agressive looking you could opt for the 435i M Sport or pay a little more for the 440i.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used 304i

I am currently thinking about purchasing a 2018 340i 12500 miles clean carfax single owner for 38500. It has been on the lot for 60 days. Is this a good deal? Will the price drop if I wait to buy it in September? How much would this go for in an auction?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
My used BMW cost ~$50K and has been very reliable. It was 36K miles and 3 years old when I bought it. In April 2020 it was paid off at 8 years old and about 90K miles.

There is. I always said and am still saying that I am not rich enough to buy a used Porsche. Not with my car mechanic skills. But you are still correct and that was a good advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts