BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently I am considering 2013 X3 28i. I have seen the timing chain problem article on this forum. I am wondering which model of X3 or X5 wont have this problem.

I am thinking about 2013 X3 28i and 2013 X5 with I6 engine.

thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is the N20 engine (turbo 4 cylinder engine) used in the X3 28i for certain X3s from 2012 to 2014 that is reportedly most prone to failure of timing chain guides. The timing chain guide was reportedly redesigned about January 2015 for this engine and is expected to reduce or eliminate the problem.

The X5 35i uses the N55 I6 engine, which is not reported to have the timing chain problem, but may be prone to cooling pump problems after about 50K miles. The F25 X3 used the N52 I6 engine without the turbocharger prior to the introduction of the N20 engine and is believed by some to be more reliable.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07/n20-timing-chain-issue/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the N20 engine (turbo 4 cylinder engine) used in the X3 28i for certain X3s from 2012 to 2014 that is reportedly most prone to failure of timing chain guides. The timing chain guide was reportedly redesigned about January 2015 for this engine and is expected to reduce or eliminate the problem.

The X5 35i uses the N55 I6 engine, which is not reported to have the timing chain problem, but may be prone to cooling pump problems after about 50K miles. The F25 X3 used the N52 I6 engine without the turbocharger prior to the introduction of the N20 engine and is believed by some to be more reliable.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07/n20-timing-chain-issue/
Thanks for the reply. So, I need to find an X3 with N52 engine to avoid the timing chain failure.
Which engine in th eX5 is the most reliable so far?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even if you got the N20 engine that was manufactured in the 2012-2014 era, it doesn't mean your timing chain will fail. It only means it has a higher chance of failing, like 2-3% (my estimate).

There are hundreds of thousands of these engines all over the world in several different BMW models, so even at a tiny 3% failure rate it's enough to see tens of thousands of failures at great expense to BMW.

My engine failed and I got a brand new one installed at BMW's expense recently. They're doing the right thing for most owners. I think this earns my loyalty and I plan to buy a new BMW this year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Timing chain failure N20' 4 cyl engine.

Hi don't worry about the N20 4 cyl engines, get a 6 cyl preferably an N55 3.5i !!! Good and reliable , smooth and quiet , well worth a few more bucks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see that you live in Ontario. If you get the n 20 engine and the timing chain breaks you will not be covered for replacement if the warranty is over. The warranty has been extended in the USA but not in Canada. BMW Canada might cover a percentage if the rebuild. Trust me I know...
Stick with the N55

·
Registered
366 Posts
N20 Timing Chain issues.

Hi keep reading about Timing Chains breaking. That is caused by the Plastic / Nylon guide breaking first, this intern drops and breaks the oil pump chain ( oil light then on !!!!! ) then after a while Timing Chain get broken ? I don't know how many times I read these reports and people say , first oil light came on? At this point the motor should be stopped ! Not then kept driving to the Dealership or carried on home or to next Service Station? How long do people think an engine goes with no oil pressure? If they shut it off immediately at least there wouldn't be the need for a complete engine failure and replacement needed. I believe a lot of the fault is with drivers not following instrument warnings !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never got an oil light just a notice to drive moderately. I pulled over called BMW and had the car towed to BMW. Chain hadn't broke but the guide had, spread bits and pieces thoughout the engine. Not all failures can be blamed on the operator

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think this car is not part of the "fixed" versions. But just to confirm...

VIN 5UXWX9C59E0D43884

Type Code WX93

E Series F25 ()

Series X

Type GEFZG

Model X3 28I (USA)

Steering LL

Doors 5

Engine N20

Displacement 2.00

Power 180

Drive ALLR

Transmission AUT

Colour SPACEGRAU METALLIC (A52)

Upholstery LEDER NEVADA/CX OYSTER (LUCX)

Prod. Date 2014-03-29

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think this car is not part of the "fixed" versions. But just to confirm...
I'm guessing the vehicle above (a 2014 X3 with N20 i4 with Prod. Date 2014-03-29) is subject to the timing chain failure issue. Really like this ride otherwise.

Anyone know the cost to proactively replace the timing chain guard with the redesigned one?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm guessing the vehicle above (a 2014 X3 with N20 i4 with Prod. Date 2014-03-29) is subject to the timing chain failure issue. Really like this ride otherwise.

Anyone know the cost to proactively replace the timing chain guard with the redesigned one?
BMWtechnician has a web site that discusses the N20 engine's timing chain issues. In response to a question, he estimated 10 to 12 hours of labor plus parts for preventative maintenance to address the issue. It may be prudent to replace more than just the timing chain guard as the incremental cost may be relatively minor.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07/n20-timing-chain-issue/comment-page-2/#comments

It may be wise to look into whether your vehicle is subject to the BMW Owner Reimbursement Program.

http://bmw-rp.com/production/bmw/reimbursement_bmw_portal.nsf

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks Mike. I'm looking at that vehicle as a possible purchase. Just trying to determine if its part of lot that has the issue. Based on the website you sent and inputting the VIN there, it appears so. I'll stay away from it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

I recently bought a 2016 X3 and it has an insanely annoying rattle which I *think* is coming from the interior but when I mentioned it to a friend they started talking about the timing chain. So Google has led me here.

I believe my car is younger than the ones with the engine type that had the timing chain issue but would really appreciate for someone with more knowledge to confirm.

I entered the VIN on the reimbursement program web page and it says my car is NOT involved in the program... so does that mean it's not one likely to be affected?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 2017 X3 with an N20 engine and 44,500 miles just went in for a timing chain replacement, so I don't think the N20 timing chain issue has been resolved.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our 2017 X3 with an N20 engine and 44,500 miles just went in for a timing chain replacement, so I don't think the N20 timing chain issue has been resolved.
Don't confuse the timing chain guide failure and subsequent total engine destruction with a timing chain failure. Your timing chain could have worn or stretched and needed replacement but it wouldn't have necessarily destroyed the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased my 2014 X3 in November. Going through the records, BMW extended the warranty on timing chains to 7 years and 70,000 miles.

I noticed it starting to sound like a diesel engine. I took it in today and yes with 66,000 miles it needs a timing chain. The X3 had a certified preowned warranty on it that I could transfer for $200 to get me through April. I filled out all the paper work and I have dodged the bullet just like Neo in the Matrix. A $50 deductible is all I will pay.

By the way, my transmission chiming and drive flashing was a
CPO module. also replaced for $50 instead of $800. under the wire by 10 days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts