BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after reading many of the threads (thanks), it looks like most everyone agrees the non-run flats are far superior. I just hope they are more reliable too when hitting all of the pot holes in the tri-state area.

Anyway, which ones to get? I'll put on dedicated winter tires so these can be just for summer but please keep in mind, I will still hit just as many pot holes so they must be durable. Would hate to now get blow outs without runflats. Them I'm really screwed.

Looking forward to a more connected feel and less of a pop when hitting these pot holes.

So bring on the suggestions and please let me know why. Tire rack has the following categories;

Max Performance Summer, Ultra High Performance Summer, Ultra High Performance All-Season.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agonizing on the same issue.

I'm waiting on my car, in transit.

I have an order at Tirerack for Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40x19 - they are officially released as of April 1 and Tirerack expects stock no later than April 15. Have the previous generation PS2 on another car and review in Roundel of new one is positive. Tirerack will call me when stock arrives, so I can change my mind.

Will go to 18" rims and winter tires in the Fall.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
OK, after reading many of the threads (thanks), it looks like most everyone agrees the non-run flats are far superior. I just hope they are more reliable too when hitting all of the pot holes in the tri-state area.

Anyway, which ones to get? I'll put on dedicated winter tires so these can be just for summer but please keep in mind, I will still hit just as many pot holes so they must be durable. Would hate to now get blow outs without runflats. Them I'm really screwed.

Looking forward to a more connected feel and less of a pop when hitting these pot holes.

So bring on the suggestions and please let me know why. Tire rack has the following categories;

Max Performance Summer, Ultra High Performance Summer, Ultra High Performance All-Season.

Thanks everyone!
guys are going bonkers for the super sports. i am partial to the brand just like i am partial to BMW. i have the all seasons and love em, but i think when these are gone i may swap over to the summer/winter thing

·
Registered
79 Posts
19" to 18"

I have 535 RWD with sport pkg on order and having read all the stories about fragility of 19" rims with low profile RFT (I live in North NJ/NYC), I will most likely try to downgrade to 18" non-RFTs. I wonder if I would be able to fit 18" from F10 non-sport ? I would buy them at BMW and just have them install it. Price is always a concern so I might go with Tire Rack but I love the look of the multispoke wheel of 535 without the sport package. Has anyone been able to find something close in the aftermarket?

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Michelin Pilot SuperSports or Bridgestone S-04.

Michelin claims to have longer treadlife. My guess is that Bridgestone has a better sidewall to handle potholes. Between them it's a toss up. I'd probably pick Michelin because my professional racing team buddies tell me they are much more consistent from a production standpoint.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Michelins will be a good choice.
If comfort is your aim use the Primacy HP (non ZP).
If sport is more important, the faster degrading Pilot Super Sport would be a good choice.
Beside Michelin it seems the new arriving Bridgestones will do well.
I have used Michelin Primacy and Pilot on BMW's the last 12 years and Continental on VAG cars. The conti's are fine, but my personal preference at the moment are the Michelins Primacy non runflat. This winter I drove Bridgestone Blizzaks. Very nice winter and snow tires although quite noisy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are people carrying a spare without runflats? What do you plan to do if, say, you get a flat?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Are people carrying a spare without runflats? What do you plan to do if, say, you get a flat?
Same thing you'd do if you had an RF and got a blow out. Call a tow :)

Honestly since 06 between all our cars and almost 300k driven we've had one instance where a car needed a change and that was to avoid someone else's poor driving, and jumped a curb.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Would like to hear more replies. So I don't mean to speak for anyone but myself.

There is no compact spare wheel available that will fit our car.
So it's either a full size spare, lashed to the hooks in the trunk and taking a lot of room.
If you're running summer and winter sets, that can provide a spare by using one from the unused set. Some went to 5 winter tires/wheels and uses one as a spare.

And/or, a Mobility Kit (compressor and liquid tire sealer as Slime) BMW has one of these, as does Continental-sold by Tirerack. Higher capacity small compressors also from Viair.

Plug kit of some type and Tools to remove a tire to patch.

AAA or BMWCCA Premier , for when all else fails

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I carry a Lexus F-Sport tire repair kit. You can get the same one that comes with the M cars, or you can buy a third party one. They are all the same and work very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts