BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am interested in a different set of brake pads that doesn't requir eme to clean my rims once a week because of the immense amount of brake dust that coats them. I'm using stock brake pads. I will do a forum search for learning about replacing them and with what, but I'm somewhat interested in which of your rims seems to get he most brake dust - and possibly why?

My front right rim is normally almost double as coated with brake dust then any of my other rims (??).

-ELmO

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Sounds just like mine, i suppose the front ones get dirtier since they are bigger and do more work.

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have stock brake pads, how do you keep premium package rims clean if so?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Front wheels collect a lot more dust than the rears. You can buy any brake pads you want, you will be able to reduce the dust, but you'll never get rid of it.

The best thing you can do is to treat the wheels with synthetic (polymere) protectants. There is a quite number of polymere sealants on the market.

After each car wash, apply it on the wheels. Cleaning them will be much easier.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
elmalloc said:
Do you have stock brake pads, how do you keep premium package rims clean if so?
High pressure washer, A2Z wheel cleaner by Eagle one and a scrub brush. Wheels last about 5-6 days before they get dirty unless i do heavy braking.

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't the high pressure water get on your car's body and then you have to wash it? I've been using eagle one as well on the RIM but I use a sponge/water to clean it off...gets dirty every 5 days as well.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
elmalloc said:
Doesn't the high pressure water get on your car's body and then you have to wash it? I've been using eagle one as well on the RIM but I use a sponge/water to clean it off...gets dirty every 5 days as well.
I just blast it with water first and it gets most of the dust off. Then i scrub them down with the wheel cleaner and brush.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
I agree about the polymer sealant. I put 3 coats of Zaino on my style 135 wheels. After a few days of driving the wheels are still dirty, but you can clean the dust off with a MF cloth and some Quick Detailing spray - the dust wipes right off - no effort needed.

During a full car wash, I just use regular car wash soap (Zaino or Meguiars) along with an Oxo scrub brush, a cheap MF towel, and some of those little foam paint brushes - and its an easy (although time consuming) cleanup job.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As for the initial question on pads, what I can tell you (from my personal experience) is NOT to use Rotex pads and do not do business with Brakeworld unless you get everything in writing, have a law degree and are itching for some wasted time. On their expert recommendation bought Rotex pads for my Mercedes and the only thing they were good for was screeching that could be heard 40 yards away. Broke in correctly and installed by a professional. No recourse, just a waste of money. Also, they were on new rotors.

Tried some others and while the is less dust there is less braking power. Maybe one day there will be a pad that does both.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ci325, did you try applying some antisquell ??
The fronts obviously get more brake dust since they provide most of the braking effort. My driver side front seems to get the most.

I don't know about you guys but water is all it takes to remove brake dust with a light wipe of a sponge... Why do you go through the effort of applying all those wheel cleaners for regular dust? By the way, my wheels are in no way protected by any type of sealant so maybe I'm using special water and a special sponge or something because although time consuming, wiping off brake dust is still effortless.

·
Retired and Enjoying It
157 Posts
I apply a coat of Klasse AIO and SG about every month or so - allows me to easily clean them during my normal car wash with a sponge, soap and water. No wheel cleaner is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is that PowerBall really able to get into the narrow corners of BMW's wheels? I love the idea, but I don't think it will work on my RIMS. (Picture coming soon, I am new) =)

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
jagoodie said:
Is that PowerBall really able to get into the narrow corners of BMW's wheels? I love the idea, but I don't think it will work on my RIMS. (Picture coming soon, I am new) =)
Works great on my OEM 19" M3 rims. Also works pretty well on the OEM 16" rims for my 99 323i SPP.

If you have enough torque on your drill, you can really jam it in there pretty hard.

I haven't tried this, but apparently it's also pretty good for polishing headlight lenses (although I'd keep seperate PowerBalls for each task).

·
Registered
176 Posts
mr clean wheel brush

My wife got me the Mr Clean Pro system, and it came with a wheel brush. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the brush separately, but I attached the best picture I could find.

The brush is awesome. I've got 135's to clean and this brush fit into every slit and corner and got them looking perfectly clean. Well, except for the lug bolt holes. I can see where the OXO brush would be good for that. I might try one of those too.

As for the Mr Clean system itself, I'm kinda turned off by the fact that it strips the wax off your car and leaves the paint feeling like the finest sandpaper. I haven't tried it through my soft water hose bib yet. Maybe that will help. But as far as not having to dry off the car, it is good.

Attachments

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brown rotors

Just wanted to tell everyon eI washed the car today, using Maguire car soap - sheepskin mitt, an absorber towel (not all that great, kind of rubbery and leaves few droplets of water which spot quick if you don't swithc to a microfiber towel immediately to get he last few droplets), and eagle one tire/rim cleaner.

The rotors were completely brown (rusty or something?) - I jsut drove the car and braked hard a few timse and when I was done the rotors were completely clean again (is this normal???).

Thanks,
ELmO

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes, rust on the rotors is normal and I'm surprised you've never noticed that before on this or any other car...

Anyway, is that wheel brush that you (indyzhp) refer to that blue/wipe fluffy one in the middle? How has it withstood your cleaning regiment?

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my car is 3 months old, it didn't have it until I washed the car.

We have no carswhere the rotors are easily visible, that's probably why.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts