BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to this point, I've been pretty much set on a 2007 328i stuffed chock full of options, but then I figured that since I'm leasing, my main fear about the 335i - its long term reliability - is a moot point. I'm sure I'll manage to scrounge up the premium for the nicer car as well, but then it made me wonder, which options are really necessary?

(Necessary as in significantly improves the driving/ownership experience.)

For me, these are must-haves:

* Steptronic. I admit it, I'm not a real man, I've never learned how to drive stick. Plus, living in LA and quite often in traffic, I'd rather not deal with shifting on the 405.

* Comfort Access. As discussed in this thread, it's just a really neat thing to have, and it's not terribly expensive.

* Navigation system. I neglected to get one in my 2005 Titan and sorely regret it. Plus, the iDrive adds heaps of features. General consensus here seems to agree that iDrive is a good buy.

* Sport Package. No limiter + better seats + better wheels. No brainer.

Here's the ones I'm on the fence about:

* Park distance control. In my truck, this thing has saved my ass countless times. I will seriously miss it if I don't get it in my new car, but on the other hand, I'll be driving something much, much smaller and should be able to park by eye. It IS only $320 though.

* Logic7 Sound system. Most stock car audio systems these days are at least passable. I like my music but is the Logic7 worth the extra $1100? I mean the only thing you get out of it is better speakers; the base system already has CD/MP3 support.

* Leather Dakota. Leather is really, really nice. BMW leather especially nice. But then again, their leatherette isn't bad at all and requires less care.

* Active Steering. Sure, it's nice to be able to do a u-turn with a half turn of the wheel. But does it alter the day-to-day driving of the car enough to warrant its cost?

Any opinions/discussion appreciated. I'm interested in feedback about active steering especially; I don't see it discussed too often here.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
I think this is as personal as color combination but most people would say to forego active steering.

If the stock stereo sounds good enough, then you don't need Logic7 but it's standard on the 330xi and 330i.

The only options I see as optional (i.e. undesirable) on a 330i or 33xi would be
  • active steering
  • active cruise
  • steptronic
Otherwise, I would (and did) get everything else.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
amnesiac said:
Here's the ones I'm on the fence about:

* Park distance control. In my truck, this thing has saved my ass countless times. I will seriously miss it if I don't get it in my new car, but on the other hand, I'll be driving something much, much smaller and should be able to park by eye. It IS only $320 though.

* Logic7 Sound system. Most stock car audio systems these days are at least passable. I like my music but is the Logic7 worth the extra $1100? I mean the only thing you get out of it is better speakers; the base system already has CD/MP3 support.

* Leather Dakota. Leather is really, really nice. BMW leather especially nice. But then again, their leatherette isn't bad at all and requires less care.

* Active Steering. Sure, it's nice to be able to do a u-turn with a half turn of the wheel. But does it alter the day-to-day driving of the car enough to warrant its cost?
PDC is much cheaper than repairing your bumper should you screw up. I consider it a no brainer. Much more useful than Comfort Access.

Personally I would never buy a car with vinyl seats. BMW leather is not that good but it beats sitting on plastic. If you are leasing, I wouldn't worry to much about leather care. The leather will last at least as long as the lease.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you are leasing, wouldn't you rather consider a 2006 330i/xi? It has more power than the 328 and the lease MF's/residuals are much more attractive this month than what you would most likely get on a similarly equipped 328 when it is first released. Also, it has more standard features and there are bound to be 330i's out there equipped to your specifications.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finamir said:
If you are leasing, wouldn't you rather consider a 2006 330i/xi? It has more power than the 328 and the lease MF's/residuals are much more attractive this month than what you would most likely get on a similarly equipped 328 when it is first released. Also, it has more standard features and there are bound to be 330i's out there equipped to your specifications.
The 2007 328i coupe has been touted as more powerful than the 330Ci.
Also I'm getting European Delivery for May 2007.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
amnesiac said:
The 2007 328i coupe has been touted as more powerful than the 330Ci.
Also I'm getting European Delivery for May 2007.
It may well be, however it is less powerful than the E90 330i which is what Finamir was referring to.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
I would never get PDC, but then, I have never backed into anything. I also won't get the Active Steering. I don't have any personal experience with it but I'm happy with the base BMW steering. I love leather so that is a must. Logic 7 comes with the 335i.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I read too many reviews critical of Active Steering, and none of the dealerships I went to even had a vehicle that had it to test, so I didn't get it.

I, too, moved from a truck to a BMW. The 330xi is much smaller, and every once in a while I almost regret not getting the PDC.

Logic7 came with my car, and to my ear, sounded infinitely better than the stock system that was in another car I looked at. I love the way it sounds, and am definitely glad it came with the car.

I have leather seats and love them.

I did not get the Active Cruise Control, as it didn't seem worth the money.

I love the Nav system and iDrive (though the Nav could use significant improvement, I'm definitely glad I got it).

Finally, I got the Steptronic and am happy that I did. I can drive a stick, but I do a lot of city driving, and driving a stick can be tedious when I'm trying to change CDs, type an email message on my blackberry, and load my pistol to shoot at tailgaters. Also, my wife does not know how to drive a manual transmission, and I'd sooner be able to teach my Alaskan Malamute to build a space shuttle and fly to the moon than to teach my wife to drive a stick.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you like. Test drive as much as you can, and make the call based on those tests.

Good luck,

Brien

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Brien Crotty said:
Ultimately, it comes down to what you like. Test drive as much as you can, and make the call based on those tests.

Brien
That says it all. Don't get something because someone else likes it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Brien Crotty said:
Also, my wife does not know how to drive a manual transmission, and I'd sooner be able to teach my Alaskan Malamute to build a space shuttle and fly to the moon than to teach my wife to drive a stick.
I don't own an Alaskan Malamute but I was equally unenthusiastic about teacing my wife to drive stick.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
I'd love to be able to get cloth seating (or even leather with cloth inserts) in one of these cars. I don't care for leather (slippery, overpriced, wears/ages poorly, breathes poorly, annoying to maintain) and leatherette is not an ideal substitute because it has the same negative attributes of leather minus the maintenance/wear issues.

Anybody know if it can be done with a US market order? There must be some sort of special code or loophole; I have seen a very small number of US spec E46s equipped as such (and I'm not talking about the alcantara/cloth ZHPs either).

·
Banned
6,126 Posts
Thing is I am an electrical engineer and I love all things electronic...but when it comes to my car I want the simple things DONE VERY WELL...stick, sport, regular steering, a rear view mirror that I can dim manually...I don't want an integrated garage door opener...or folding mirrors...or a freakin' compass...or leather (I'd take my current ZHP alcantara seats in a heartbeat)...or a nav system to tell me where to go (well maybe if I was in a foreign location)...or, to me, the relatively gimmicky comfort access...just the car please!:D

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
greginaz1 said:
Thing is I am an electrical engineer and I love all things electronic...but when it comes to my car I want the simple things DONE VERY WELL...stick, sport, regular steering, a rear view mirror that I can dim manually...I don't want an integrated garage door opener...or folding mirrors...or a freakin' compass...or leather (I'd take my current ZHP alcantara seats in a heartbeat)...or a nav system to tell me where to go (well maybe if I was in a foreign location)...or, to me, the relatively gimmicky comfort access...just the car please!:D
+1

·
Registered
650 Posts
drallafi said:
Only thing that is really a *MUST* on this car is the sport package and heated seats. Everything else is just gravy.
Why the hell does he need heated seats in LA? Why do you have them in Arizona?:dunno:

Heated seats in hot areas sounds like an oxymoron of sorts.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
JayK330 said:
Why the hell does he need heated seats in LA? Why do you have them in Arizona?:dunno:

Heated seats in hot areas sounds like an oxymoron of sorts.
Heated seats are very nice on a cool night or morning!

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
For me, these are must-haves:

* Steptronic.
I regret not having a manual nearly every day, though the time I spend in heavy traffic is far less than when I first had the car. This is just personal choice.

* Comfort Access.
Pissed that I don't have it. May 05' build.

* Navigation system.
Don't have it and don't regret it.

* Sport Package. No limiter + better seats + better wheels. No brainer.
Yes, this is a must. :) I never, EVER regret having this option.

Here's the ones I'm on the fence about***********:

* Park distance control.
Don't have it, don't need it. About the only time it would be nice is parallel parking. But you know what? The right side mirror tilt down is awesome for that.

* Logic7 Sound system.
The stock system is definitely passable, for me anyway. I can crank my metal tunes and they sound clear.

* Leather Dakota.
Probably more of a personal preference thing and resale argument. I don't find leatherette comfortable. I wouldn't get a BMW without leather.

* Active Steering.
Hell no, you don't need this! If you want to do a U-turn here is what you do: Downshift into a low gear, crank the wheel and mash the accelerator, creating power oversteer!

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
greginaz1 said:
If Alcantara seats were an option, I'd probably do it. They are very comfortable and are so much better at not absorbing heat or cold.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I parallel park on a daily basis and really like the PDC , especially with the display on the idrive screen, definately worth the $320.

I also suggest the sunshade option if you are not going to tint the windows, again not an expensive option but definately i like it and it gets some complements as well.

I went with leatherette and like it a lot, zero regrets about not having leather seats.

the Xenon lights are very nice, they came with the 300i and I probably would not have ordered them , but after having them WOW they are great lights, very brightand now I will have to get them on my next car

idrive/navigation , I love gadgets so this was a must for me, again I love it, my wife finds it useless since we know the city well. It Europe it was great and even if i never use the nav. again for ED its worth it.

the logic 7, I have it and yeah its nice (standard on 330i), but I'm sure the regular radio would have suited me just fine, and there is no way I would pay 1000 for its own option

·
Registered
668 Posts
I recommend that you get the sport package, logic 7, pdc, navigation, leather, and comfort access. My sister has leathette in her 2004 325xi and we both dislike it (And she ordered her car that way). The leather in BMW's are really nice. The sunshade option is a nice touch. What color paint are you considering? If it is metallic maybe you should go with a non metallic color and spend it on other options.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts