BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coupe is coming to the end of the lease. Its a 2007 328i with sport, premium, navi. Never had any problems with it. Love the car! But now we have a kid, and 2 doors is a pain. I've been looking at a couple of CPOs and trying to decide which to get. Not much of a price diff - $2k. Please help!

Car #1 - 2007 335i
-39,500 miles
-premium, sport, comfort, logic7, navi, weather pkg
- extended warranty expires May 2013 (so 22 months left)

Car #2 - 2007 328i
-38,000 miles
- premium, navi, comfort, weather
- extended warranty expires October 2013 (28 months left)

We are used to 328i and fine the performance. Sure the 335i feels much faster, but I am worried about reliability. And it is bit exciting to have a car like a 335, which is way outside my range of owning Japanese cars for 10+ years. That's why my 328i was so satisfactory. I have been reading the forums about reliability but am in analysis paralysis, which is why I need your help! Both cars have clean reports, one owner. I am not necessary a car enthusiast, but want something more fun than the typical camry/accord. But I also do not want a car that is going to fall apart - especially if my wife is driving it with a little kid!

What do you guys say?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that the 2 doors is the deal breaker. You are at a different phase of your life with kids now. There will be lots of time down the road when the kids don't want to ride with mom & dad. Stick with 4 doors now - you will always be able to go back to a sportier 2 door 335. Besides, our 328 has pleennttyy of power. Good luck with your decision. Doesn't seem to be a downside either way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your saying the price diff between the two is $2K, I say the 335, but dont forget to factor in INS costs and ask for service history. Mention any reliability issues you may have and use that as a negotiating point.

40K mi on a 2007 is roughly 10K per year, depending on actual purchase date. Ive seen more and less, my 2005 2500HD had 50K when I sold it to get my '08 335 last month (15K mi).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Two more question: What should I be paying for car 1 and car 2 before taxes?

Is 40k a lot of miles for a 2007 CPO with 23 months left on warranty?

--Saurin
Hell yes 40K is way too much, go to KBB or Edmunds for retail pricing

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Yes. It's a lot of miles. I purchased my loaded 2007 CPO 328i with less than 12,000 miles and 3 years and 1 month of original warranty still left.

·
always learning...
402 Posts
Hell yes 40K is way too much, go to KBB or Edmunds for retail pricing
40k miles, not $40k...so no, it's not too much.

Big question is how much mileage you put on your car. If you'll blow through the remaining ~10k of the bumper-to-bumper warranty in a few months, that eliminates the remaining warranty as a factor.

My biggest question is why the two cars are priced so similarly, especially when the 335 has some expensive options (nav, sport) over the 328. Is the 335 an undesirable color combo? Is anything wrong with it? Or, conversely, is the 328 simply overpriced?

Bottom line is that given everything you've outlined, I'd go with the 335 without hesitation. You've got 10k miles to sort out any issues, after which most big ticket items are covered under the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I'd go with the 335. The power is intoxicating and it has more/better options. It has the sport pkg. that is a must imho for a BMW. The seats alone make it worth it. You also have the extended HPFP warranty, 10 years/120k miles. That has been the only big issue as far as a 335 goes. N4S

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Unless there's something we don't know about the cars in question, this is a no-brainer - take the 335i. More power, more options for only $2K more.

Look both of them up on edmunds or kbb.com and see what the private sale value is for each.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks this helps! both cars are the same color. I think the 328 is just "overpriced". there is another one i saw, which is a 18k miles 335 (same color) 2008 - sport, premium - $34k. But its missing the nav, logic7, comfort, cold weather, etc. the 2007 335 has.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
335i.

Without even thinking about it.

- Mike

·
Registered
13,568 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Yeah, but you gave up your 335i...... without even thinking about it.:D
My 335i was the best car I ever owned.

I regret giving it back, but I convinced my two best friends to each buy CPO 335i models! :thumbup:

- Mike

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
My 335i was the best car I ever owned.

I regret giving it back, but I convinced my two best friends to each buy CPO 335i models! :thumbup:

- Mike
I have done Carfax reports on I don't know how many CPO 335i's and I have yet to find any that reported anything to do with HPFPs, specifically-I've found a couple of "engine checked" and "electrical system checked". Perhaps those were HPFP-related. I wouldn't know.

I try not to give advice to folks when it comes to big ticket items-it's like they hold you personally responsible if something goes wrong. They should have to sign something.:tsk:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I have done Carfax reports on I don't know how many CPO 335i's and I have yet to find any that reported anything to do with HPFPs, specifically-I've found a couple of "engine checked" and "electrical system checked". Perhaps those were HPFP-related. I wouldn't know.

I try not to give advice to folks when it comes to big ticket items-it's like they hold you personally responsible if something goes wrong. They should have to sign something.:tsk:
I can't tell you how many times I recommend the 335i to people who ask (and people ask me all the time). I've "sold" maybe a half dozen over the past year. Everyone has come back and thanked me over and over again.

- Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
last question then - you've convinced me to go with my inner need for speed ;-)
should i go with a 2008 335i sport, premium with 18k miles for $35k OR the 2007 335i sport, navi, premium, comfort, weather, logic7 with 40,000 miles for $29k.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.