BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here, just got a Silver Gray 330i ZHP, wondering where to go for tint. Im trying to get the best tint possible for somethin not VERY expensive. Im in the Northern VA area, so MD, DC, or VA would work. Gimme some suggestions...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,347 Posts
Anything under $200 will probably fade in a few years. Fade resistant films usually are metallic which may interfere with radio antenna embedded in the rear window, radar detector, satellite radio antenna (if you put it on the rear package shelf), etc. You should try to get a quality non-metalic film such as 3M or Madico Charcool (not Charcoal) or even better look at ceramic film (Huper Optik Ceramic or FormulaOne Pinnacle) though that will run you between $400 and $500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tinting

does this huper optik produce a dark charcoal/black tint..or a reflective tint. I want somethin more on the black side, not somethin reflective like other metal tints.

·
Registered
96 Posts
only use llumar....3m isnt so great....llumar comes with a warrenty ......i work for detail shop its what we use (3ms clear bras are crap too btw)....my trans am has had Llumar on it for 4 years no fade...here is a pic ..taken july 4th ...of my TA...i just had the BMW done too

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wikde46 said:
does this huper optik produce a dark charcoal/black tint..or a reflective tint. I want somethin more on the black side, not somethin reflective like other metal tints.
Ceramic film does not have a metallic (mirror) effect. It has very low reflectivity. The same tint will vary in look. At times it looks light and sometime it look limo dark. There are plenty of threads discussing Huper Optick Ceramic and FormulaOne Pinnacle with plenty of pictures. Do a search.

Here is my thread when I originally install HO.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54562

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Pursuitof325i said:
only use llumar....3m isnt so great....llumar comes with a warrenty ......i work for detail shop its what we use (3ms clear bras are crap too btw)....my trans am has had Llumar on it for 4 years no fade...here is a pic ..taken july 4th ...of my TA...i just had the BMW done too
That is one of my pet peeves when people mention a brand and make a blanket statement as all the films by that manufacturer were equal. All manufacturers make films for different price points and may vary in quality. :tsk:

Llumar offers 2 lines of film, AT and Jet, that ONLY come with a 3 year warranty. Guess why? Because it will probably bubble and fade shortly after. Those films are dyed spun polyester which are known to turn purple. If you want a lifetime warranty then you need to get the metallic films they offer (7 different lines). Here is a spreadsheet that lists them all and their specifications.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Pursuitof325i said:
madico..is not so greta either we have stripped a lot of cars with that cause of the fading on it
See previous post. Madico make 5 different film lines going from cheapo polyester films to the more color stable metallized films.

·
Registered
96 Posts
LDV330i said:
That is one of my pet peeves when people mention a brand and make a blanket statement as all the films by that manufacturer were equal. All manufacturers make films for different price points and may vary in quality. :tsk:

Llumar offers 2 lines of film, AT and Jet, that ONLY come with a 3 year warranty. Guess why? Because it will probably bubble and fade shortly after. Those films are dyed spun polyester which are known to turn purple. If you want a lifetime warranty then you need to get the metallic films they offer (7 different lines). Here is a spreadsheet that lists them all and their specifications.
it comes with a lifetime warrenty ....its doesnt bubble or fade...i stripped enough other tints to see junk tint...madico sucks...3m isnt great either....cleaning them with normal window cleaner cause purple also....my trans am was tinted with madico before i knew much about tint and within a year it look like ass....it faded ..i hade cleaned it with special window cleaner for tint yet it had changed color ....i got the ta and the bmw tinted for under two hundred.....like i said u get a lifetime warrenty with llumar....

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
From a "locals" standpoint, L.A. Tint ( http://www.latint.com/aboutus.htm ) seems to have a good rep... There used to be a Huper Optik dealer up in MD somewhere... looks like he has switched to something else... ( http://www.performancewindowtinting.com/faq.htm ) I had originally planned to get tint on my car, but due to numerous regulator replacements, I'm glad I didn't as I'm sure it would be all scratched up by now... :cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are no llumar dealers in my area..plus checking it it says that it only goes to 35..im lookin at 30 or so. 15 is too low and in my area, im prolly gonna get a ticket. i was lookin at some others.

so which would u prefer..

Llumar
Huper Optik
F1 Pinnacle
SunTek

These are all ceramic

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
wikde46 said:
im lookin at 30 or so. 15 is too low and in my area, im prolly gonna get a ticket.
Officially, in VA, front windows are only allowed to have 50 (35 on rear and sides)... ;)

Of course, "two-tone" looks lousy, so I figured (back when I was looking into it) that I would go with 50 all around... Although I wouldn't have the :bigpimp: factor, I'd avoid drawing unwanted (Police) attention to myself! :angel:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pinnacle

Ill probably go with pinnacle, because huper optik is ridiculously priced. plus pinnacle has lifetime warranty as well, so im sure that would be the better choice. i have a ZHP and it seems like the factory tint is close to 60, with a layer of 35 on there, it would be nice and dark. and as posted earlier, ceramic seems to have a chameleon touch to it, sometimes darker and sometimes lighter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
suntek carbon

Anybody ever messed with SunTek Carbon..They have great prices, so just wondering about the quality and shades of it. I heard its as good as ceramic..but of course ive found no reviews on it.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wikde46 said:
Anybody ever messed with SunTek Carbon..They have great prices, so just wondering about the quality and shades of it. I heard its as good as ceramic..but of course ive found no reviews on it.
Everybody likes to claim they are as good as ceramic but just cheaper, kind off like the car comercials that claim to be just as good as a BMW.:tsk:

Both Suntek Carbon and ceramic films will not interfere with radio. Where Suntek Carbon comes short is in heat rejection. Ceramic is well know for their high rejection rates. Huper Optik 30 (34% VLT) will reject 61% of the solar energy while the equivalent Suntek Carbon 35 (35% VLT) will only reject 42%.

BTW: source of info is the respective manufacturer's websites.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got mine done at California Tint (Vienna, VA) for under $300 - non-fade. I'm sure you'll find dicussions about interference for Nav. So far, I've not experienced any interference with my Nav or radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oooh la la

wow..that is a beautiful tint..mind if i ask what Percent that was..also, you dont hear NE difference in radio quality...i want to make sure before i go for it

BTW..BEAUTIFUL CAR..GOT THE SAME IN SILVER GRAY

·
Registered
171 Posts
eddie_e46 said:
I got mine done at California Tint (Vienna, VA) for under $300 - non-fade. I'm sure you'll find dicussions about interference for Nav. So far, I've not experienced any interference with my Nav or radio.
A friend of mine had a good experience with Cali tint around Great Falls, but this was like 5 years back. DON'T go to Cali Tint in Falls Church.

·
Registered
272 Posts
dm5x said:
A friend of mine had a good experience with Cali tint around Great Falls, but this was like 5 years back. DON'T go to Cali Tint in Falls Church.
Yes, it's the shop around Great Falls that I took mine to. BTW, it's the same owner for both shops, the one in Falls Church is closed down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts