BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MY08 335i Coupe with Sports pkg on order and all I can find on the BMW literature is that it comes with "performance tires", which to me suggests they'll be summer tires, not all seasons.
Is this correct? Do we have a choice on the matter?

This is going to be my first RWD car. I live in NJ where we get 3-4 snow falls/storms a year (based on my last ten years living here), so I'm wondering if I don't need to drive this car when the roads still have snow on them, if I can't get away with not installing winter tires and use all season tires all year?
Or is that asking for trouble?

Also, can you tell me if the drive is noticeably different in your 3 series with winter tires vs. summer or all seasons when it's just winter, but no sign of ice or snow on the ground (vast majority of winter days for me here in NJ).

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Beware

Your car will almost assuredly come with Bridgestone runflat performance tires. You do NOT, I repeat do NOT want to drive with these if there is any snow or ice on the road or if the temperature is below 10 degrees F. Very dangerous.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Your car will almost assuredly come with Bridgestone runflat performance tires. You do NOT, I repeat do NOT want to drive with these if there is any snow or ice on the road or if the temperature is below 10 degrees F. Very dangerous.
+1, be extremely careful!

·
Registered
187 Posts
335i Sports Package comes with 18" summer tires so you'd definitely need a set of winter tires.

I believe the 335xi (sports or no sports package) and the 335i no sports package come w/ 17" all seasons.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
+2. Even a small buildup will send your car w/ the std sport pkg tires spinning. And, no you don't have a choice @ delivery. You have to just buy a winter set of tires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't find winter RFTs for 335i sport pkg!

Apparently there are no 18" Winter RFTs at tirerack.com (haven't looked elsewhere).
For those of you who got a set of winter tires for your E92 Sport pkg., what size did you go with?
Did you swap your tires in the stock wheels or also bought a new set of wheels?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a bit early in the season for Tirerack to have their winter selection in yet. Mid-sept is apparently the best time to look.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You bet, but some of us like to plan early. For those who've already been this route :

Apparently there are no 18" Winter RFTs at tirerack.com (haven't looked elsewhere).
For those of you who got a set of winter tires for your E92 Sport pkg., what size did you go with?
Inquiring minds would love to know ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll bet you can probably buy a set from all the xi owners that upgraded to a set of 189's like me. I chose to keep my 17in all seasons because I like to do a lot of snowboarding in the Winter time.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
Summer tires become as hard as a rock below about 50F. i tried to back out of a driveway covered in 1/4" of snow on bridgestone potenza S-03s (summer performance tires) and could not make it up the incline.

swapping is bad for the beads, plus i guarantee you will end up with rim damage at some point if you are mounting/dismounting twice a year.

here it costs 30 per tire for a mount and balance for a RFT. 240 a year.

I'm planning on getting 17" WinterSport M3 RFTs or 17" Wintersport 3Ds (if they come out in RFT) on the 109$ ASA JH3s.

two years of changes pays for the rims. 17s are also less prone to pothole damage than 18s, and are cheaper. if you're handy, you can swap them on and off yourself in about 20 minutes. rim damage is also cheaper to deal with, an OEM rim is about 380. if bent, an ASA costs 1/3 that to replace.

this is what i plan on getting:

*******> ********>*******>********>
Remove Save to Wish List *******> ********>*******>********>
17X7.5 ASA JH3 Silver Painted
for 2007 BMW 335i Coupe Base Model

In Stock 012345678 $119.00$476.00

See specific installation hardware included at no charge.

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST Blackwall RunFlat

09/06/07 012345678 $171.00$684.00
TPMS SENSOR (REQUIRES SEPARATE

In Stock 4 $40.00$160.00
TPMS 43MM VALVE

In Stock 4 $9.00$36.00
*******>*******>*******> ********>********>********>

Hunter Road Force***8482; Mounting and Balancing

FREE!

FREE!

[TD]Total:[/TD] [TD]$1,356.00[/TD]

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
+1 on getting a set of 17" wheels and winter tires if you plan on driving in any snow or ice. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Summer tires become as hard as a rock below about 50F. i tried to back out of a driveway covered in 1/4" of snow on bridgestone potenza S-03s (summer performance tires) and could not make it up the incline.

swapping is bad for the beads, plus i guarantee you will end up with rim damage at some point if you are mounting/dismounting twice a year.

here it costs 30 per tire for a mount and balance for a RFT. 240 a year.

I'm planning on getting 17" WinterSport M3 RFTs or 17" Wintersport 3Ds (if they come out in RFT) on the 109$ ASA JH3s.

two years of changes pays for the rims. 17s are also less prone to pothole damage than 18s, and are cheaper. if you're handy, you can swap them on and off yourself in about 20 minutes. rim damage is also cheaper to deal with, an OEM rim is about 380. if bent, an ASA costs 1/3 that to replace.

this is what i plan on getting:

Remove Save to Wish List *******> ********>*******>********>
17X7.5 ASA JH3 Silver Painted

In Stock 012345678 $119.00$476.00

See specific installation hardware included at no charge.

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST Blackwall RunFlat

09/06/07 012345678 $171.00$684.00
TPMS SENSOR (REQUIRES SEPARATE

In Stock 4 $40.00$160.00
TPMS 43MM VALVE

In Stock 4 $9.00$36.00

Hunter Road Force***8482; Mounting and Balancing

FREE!

FREE!

[TD]Total:[/TD] [TD]$1,356.00[/TD]
I was looking at an almost identical package. I have the sport package on my coupe though. Can I still use the 17" rims or do I have to stick with the 18"s. It doesn't make a huge difference, but the 17's cost less overall with tires and all. ?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
I was looking at an almost identical package. I have the sport package on my coupe though. Can I still use the 17" rims or do I have to stick with the 18"s. It doesn't make a huge difference, but the 17's cost less overall with tires and all. ?
the rolling diameter is the almost the same.... 225/45/17 and 225/40/18 are 25.0 vs 25.1. so slight its insignificant.
but you need to be careful, some 17" rims will not clear the brakes on the 335i. the tire rack ones listed for the 335i will.
I have the sport package and 18s and am going to downsize to 17s for more sidewall. and slightly lower price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts