BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 19" 10 spokes. My tires are the OEM Michelin Pilot Primacy - 275/40/19 rear, 245/45/19 front. Back tires need replacing, but the fronts have about 60% tread left. My perdicament is, do I replace the rears with the Primacy, or do I replace all 4 tires with a tire such as the Falken FK 452. Will there be a big difference? I'm not really hard on the car, but I do enjoy spirited driving some times. I had Pirelli Sottozero 210 225/60/17 this winter, and I was pretty content with the handling overall, so I really do not require track performance, especially @ 1.22/litre for gas. Note, both options cost about the same $1,100 CDN.

Also, anywhere to buy these tire at a good price around Toronto.

JOE

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Joe i would say you have 2 options replace both rears with the falkens if the fronts are still good, Or do all 4 with new falkens.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hey, we have the same problem. Mine just failed inspection because the 2 rear Michelin's on 19s have no tread left in the center of the tire. Now I went to TireRack dot com and searched for all best seller replacements for the vehicle.
You have a few choices, but the first was whether I wanted All Season or Summer. I left the 19's on all winter here in the NE and lucked out this year as snow was little. So research showed the Yokohomo S.4's were the ones to get, but they are on backorder until June 3rd across the nation. So, for a little more money and a 45K mile warranty the Bridgstone Turanza Serenitys look pretty good. So, I haven't made my decision and I'm a little scared of the thin rubber on those rear tires!

To pass inspection I borrowed the spare from my wife's cousin's 05 745, put my spare on and rolled it back in for the sticker. Even though both tires were different brands they passed it without any issues.

Jer

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
whats this passing inspection for tires nonsense? like a smog test but for treadware on the tires. I guess its an east coast thing :dunno: btw - get the falken 452's (don't know how many times ive endorsed them, great tire, great value)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never! Did you know if you stick your arm out the window when driving a Prius, the car actually turns:eeps: Stole that joke

Truth be told, I'm impressed with the gas mileage I get on my 745.
I recently took it for a little trip in the mountains and averaged 26 mpg going up and 36.5 MPG coming back down.
I have a Jeep grand Cherokee and if I get 18MPG IT'S A GOOD DAY! My S-class was getting mid 20's. It's the cost that comes with the car.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Never! Did you know if you stick your arm out the window when driving a Prius, the car actually turns:eeps: Stole that joke
Truth be told, I'm impressed with the gas mileage I get on my 745.
I recently took it for a little trip in the mountains and averaged 26 mpg going up and 36.5 MPG coming back down.
either your math is way off or something in your idrive is not calculating correctly. no chance the 7ser gets 27mpg uphill. :tsk: Pry-OOS FTW:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
ALL HWY except the last bit.
50-60MPH mostly flat until the last 20 miles.
Could be the iDrive computer, who knows.:dunno:
I set it for the trip and those were the numbers it punched out.
I also keep the immediate consumption display on in the dash, a habit I developed from when I had a 944 way back. 944’s had a consumption analog dial in the dash under the speedometer. It does bring the “Granny” out in me, I tend to baby the car when I see that punching it hard out of the corners just cost me $7 bucks in gas:yikes:.

Don’t get me wrong, I do push the car at times. The roads in Montreal are 3rd World status, at best!. Potholes & ruts abound. Hell my old CD player in my other car used to skip just when driving on the main roads. So you kind of have to pick your spots around here to open her up, brake late and attack the corners.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i do almost 100 highway miles a day and i cant get it higher than 20mpg.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
i do almost 100 highway miles a day and i cant get it higher than 20mpg.
perhaps it's your driving habit buddy. try not to accelerate to where your license plate screw is about to make it's mark on the bumper of the vehicle in front and you hit the brakes to slow down and accelerate again instead of coasting to a certain speed. don't be a typical cali driver who step on the brakes whenever they see brake lights even if not on the lane they are on. gas, brake, dip is how you should begin to ghost ride the whip.

--we need pictures.
that can't be true, take it in for service and have them check it out. :D
i think he meant kilometers per gallon. :rofl: it's either that or he forgot to reset the values before beginning the journey. 26 MPG uphill can be obtained easily if you had a tow cable attached to a semi-tractor trailer. :rofl:

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I get about 300 miles per tank:( i guess thats around 13-14 mpg....:cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.