BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving my Volvo 850 wagon (210,000miles) and moving on. I need a wagon, have $23,000 for a pre-owned. I cycle, so I need space for my bicycle and just household stuff (I love wagons). I was only considering the Volvo XC70 or Outback, but friends suggested BMW. But, what model? I know nothing. I want efficiency (decent mpg) and reliability, in addition to FUN!
The Outback has the first two...but no fun.
What is a general guide for looking for a nice pre-owned wagon? Model, years, options? Thanks. I don't even know if I posted in the right Discussion area!!!!!

· what does this button do?
996 Posts
Your probably looking for a 06 or 07 530xit with that budget but you maybe able to find a higher mileage 08 535xit. They are both fairly hard vehicles to find, your options will most likely be limited by whats available in your local market. Many consider the 530 to be more reliable, due to natural aspiration, but the electronics systems in the 535 are better ... I would probably go with whichever you can find with the most detailed service history. Maintenance on either vehicle can get expensive once you get into the 80K+ mile range and need to deal w/ wear and tear parts. The BMW is gonna outperform either of your two other options listed, it's a great blend of utility and performance but you gotta pay to play. Your gonna be hard pressed to beat the value Subaru represents but if it you cannot stand driving the vehicle, does it matter what kind of value it maybe?

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I have 08 XC70 and I loved it. But bimmer wagon will be a good choice as well if you don't do a lot off road driving. I hate to say but after test drove Subaru Trebeca and Outback (brand new cars btw) both car had a vibration at 70 mph, well I asked and salesman said they are all do that , because Subaru all wheel drive, well Volvo doesn't it all. Also Brand new Volvo XC70 all options is about 41,000, when Subaru V6 with all option is about 38,000, so volvo is better value.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
I am leaving my Volvo 850 wagon (210,000miles) and moving on. I need a wagon, have $23,000 for a pre-owned. I cycle, so I need space for my bicycle and just household stuff (I love wagons). I was only considering the Volvo XC70 or Outback, but friends suggested BMW. But, what model? I know nothing. I want efficiency (decent mpg) and reliability, in addition to FUN!
The Outback has the first two...but no fun.
I just moved up to BMW from my '98 Outback wagon. I was planning on staying with Subaru, but they got too tall in the latest version, and I wasn't looking forward to lifting kayaks a few more inches up onto the roof. I sat in a new Venza, but visibility out the back (lane changing) was horrible. Didn't like the Volvo much.

I ended up with a 2006 530xit in April, so far so good. We'll see how it handles NY winter. Gas mileage seems about the same as my old 4-cyl Outback. If that's a big concern to you, and you can give fun for fuel, go with the 530 vs the turbo 535.

· Registered
79 Posts
Unless you're absolutely ready to be a bmw owner, don't drive it. You may just fall in love on the spot and there is no going back. I had two volvos previously to this and was test driving a very nice and capable XC70 and mentioned to the sales rep that I was going to BMW next to look at a 535, I think he just resigned himself then and there that I wouldn't be back.

In considering options, the premium and cold weather packages are must haves (the heated stearing wheel is awesome in the winter). The sport package if you can find it is very nice as it gives you better seats. Do your research and drive all models, you can always drive the sedans, find out what you want as far as options go and whether you prefer the 530 or 535, then wait/search for the right wagon to come along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.