BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tough call for me. I really love the look and feel of the new Z4 coupe, but also am wary of its newness as a first year production. Therefore the 330ci is my other choice, given its stellar track record. So which would you all choose- a fully loaded 330ci w/ performance package or the Z4 coupe with sport and premium package? :dunno:

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's easy for me as I don't want or need a backseat. The Z4 has been out a few years, even the new 3.0 has been built for over a year now in the E90. The coupe aspect doesn't really effect reliability, so I'd feel very comfortable that there are no issues with a Z4 Coupe (apparently not as true for the M Coupe / M Roadster, see fuel pump).

Then there's a 330ci, a six year old model that's already been replaced in Europe with what I feel is a significant improvement in the 335. I never warmed to the E46 styling, it's just got too many cues that it's a BMW, the E36 and the E90 both take a more subtle approach. The 3.0 is a generation behind in the 3er too and down a good bit on power relative to the 3.0 coupe and up on weight.

Do you want a comfortable highway car (330)? Or do you want a sports car that will be more fun around town and still plenty capable on the highway (Z4c)? I would guess that with the E92 coming any day now, depreciation on a 330ci will be disastrous, while the Z4c has the potentional to be much better in near-term resale, if that matters.

There's my massively biased opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Ben

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Z4 Coupe, hands down. Of course if you need the trunk space or a back seat then I'd wait for the 335/328 coupe. Then again I would imagine that deals could be had on remaining e46s.

My question: Does a golf bag fit the hatch of the Z4 Coupe?

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
RedBread said:
Then there's a 330ci, a six year old model that's already been replaced.
+1

I would go with the Z4 Coupe. New model....you'll be one of the first own one.

The reason I went with the E90 over the current 325i coupe was I didn't want to buy a car that has had a design for the last 6 years.....esspecially knowing that the redesign was coming within a year. Otherwise, I would have gone with the coupe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also partial to the Z4 coupe.:thumbup: I'm just a little nervous about first year bugs. But it seems, based on another thread I posted, that there really aren't any for the z4 coupe. But I'd still like to do my homework. No, I don't need back seats. I'm a single guy, and would like to take advantage of that while I can. I even considered the roadster, but the coupe is better looking to my eye.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're single or married with no kids or have another means of transportation that can carry more than 1 person, then go with the z4 coupe.

If you've got a family... then go with the 330.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
wyiel said:
If you're single or married with no kids or have another means of transportation that can carry more than 1 person, then go with the z4 coupe.

If you've got a family... then go with the 330.
If I didn't need back seats I'd be all over the Z4 Coupe. I love my 330i (with the ZHP option), but that purchasing decision really was a compromize. I wanted a 1 or 2 seater with 700hp, but just couldn't find what I was looking for in my price range.... :D

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Who cares if the E46 design is 6 years old? It's a great car, certainly not obsolete. I bet the reliability will be better than a first year E90 model and probably a helluva deal could be worked out.

I bought an E39 in it's last year. Got a great deal and have none of the 'bugs' that so commonly impact early E39 owners.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
fastnfurious said:
This is a tough call for me. I really love the look and feel of the new Z4 coupe, but also am wary of its newness as a first year production. Therefore the 330ci is my other choice, given its stellar track record. So which would you all choose- a fully loaded 330ci w/ performance package or the Z4 coupe with sport and premium package? :dunno:
Do you want to carry more than 1 passenger?
Do you want to fold the seats down to enlarge the trunk?
Do you want a fast car, or a FAST car?

I assume we're talking about a E46 330ci, and not one of the oversized E90s, right?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just turned in my 330Ci for a Z4 3.0Si roadster. My vote would go to the Z4 Coupe hands-down. This is all assuming that you don't have more than 1 passenger to ferry around on a regular basis. (but really, why would you want all that extra weight? :p)

On top of that, the Z4 Coupe just looks ultra gorgeous!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You should ask the same question on the 3 series forum and you will probably get a opposite biased answer. Also a 330ci isn't a real comfortable car, most people would consider it a sports car, same with a M3 coupe (similar design). Most people would consider a 5 series or a 7 series a more comfortable car or a sport sedan.

Just for your info.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't think you can compare the coupe and roadster in an apples to apples way. They're just different. To me, the coupe is more attractive and more practical for the same reasons that Palantirion just stated. But I went with the roadster simply because I've never had a ragtop and wanted the top-down experience.

If you're comparing coupes, why even bring in the roadster? Just go with the coupe!

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
My choice would be an M coupe.Being married my choices are narrowed.My wife insisis on having a vert in the family as the "non practical car".Since she looks so good and top down who's to argue? They all are great cars,it'll be a win-win whichever way you go!:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts