BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which would you choose?

• BMW 6 Cabrio:[IMG]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/paris00/media/bm

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Mercedes SL: [IMG]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/214533.jpg[/IMG]

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Jaguar XK8:[IMG]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/156437.jpg[/IMG]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lexus SC430[IMG]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/150133.jpg[/IMG]

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Bangle article in this month's Roundel, our discussion here, and the fact that a lot of new BMW models are coming out in the near future got me thinking. How much is Bangle's styling really threatening BMW's future? I'll start with the new 6 series (z9 concept) and what I expect will be it's competitors. If no one objects I'll post a few more as I have time throughout the day for some other of Bangle's "Styling Bookends". Assume the BMW concepts drive and perform the way we expect BMWs to.

Edit: Sorry the z9 pic above didn't work, I can't edit the poll, so here is the pic:

G

·
I am so removed from being in the market for any of those that I have a hard time saying. I can only judge on looks as none of them fit my needs (in terms of utility, performance and price).

And, on looks, I give the nod (by a nose) to the Benz. The Jag looks sharp too, IMO. And I have previously called that Lexus one of the ten ugliest cars on the road today. And the Z9 may be even worse. Blech.

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
I voted the new SL... We were driving alongside one for about 20 miles last evening and I have to say it is absolutely an amazing design -- everything about it just fits and flows together very nicely.

I really hope Bangle doesn't mess up the new 6. I actually like most of the new 7's design except for the headlights and the butt. Also, the Z4 has some interesting lines, but again has awkward details like the tail spoiler, headlights and especially the "Z" crease in the flanks. For me, a car has to work in total and have details that match and go with the rest of the design. The Z9 concept, Z4 and new 7 do not do that for me.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZBB 325Ci said:
I voted the new SL... We were driving alongside one for about 20 miles last evening and I have to say it is absolutely an amazing design -- everything about it just fits and flows together very nicely.

I really hope Bangle doesn't mess up the new 6. I actually like most of the new 7's design except for the headlights and the butt. Also, the Z4 has some interesting lines, but again has awkward details like the tail spoiler, headlights and especially the "Z" crease in the flanks. For me, a car has to work in total and have details that match and go with the rest of the design. The Z9 concept, Z4 and new 7 do not do that for me.
I have to agree with you 100% on the new SL, I've seen a few in person and they are stuning. The magazine pictures don't do them any justice, In my opinion one of the nicest looking cars to come out in the last couple of years.

·
5,820 Posts
I voted SL, beautiful car, all season functionality with the vario roof. My father is getting one soon, hopefully. Need a few more folks to drop off the waiting list.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
I'd go (1) SL, (2) Jag, (3a) BMW (3b) Lexus.

The SL is oingo-boingo, drop-dead gorgeous. I've pretty much detested them all of my life as being ridiculously obese and downright silly, but this last iteration literally takes my breath away. They still may be heavy, but it certainly is well proportioned if you ask me.

The Jag is groovy-baby, too!

The BMW & Lexus tie for last. Ugly, pathetic and totally void of anything that will make you remember them in the future as being timeless and fresh for its era. I still laugh when I have the misfortune of seeing the Lexus on the road. It looks like a pod-mobile.

I think once I've seen the BMW I'll probably cry. The boys at UglyDesignworks apparently are going to live up to this studios new name.

Once the 3er and 5er have been transformed into Bangle's image the cycle will be complete. Exit Roundel (blue & white), enter Roundhell (red & black with prehensiled tail).

Look what they're doing to my marque, ma! :cry: :cry:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
We don't really know anything about the 6 series, other than engine and transmission speculations

That said, the 6 will be the only one avaiable in manual or SMG and that takes it to the top of my list, IMO.

The SL is pretty cool though :)

·
KWiK
223 Posts
SL, it's by far the best of this list.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Josh (PA) said:
Assume the BMW concepts drive and perform the way we expect BMWs to.
This, to me, is the fundamental issue, and if it's an assumption that can safely be made, I'll pick the BMW every time.

Personally, I think all of the above choices are gorgeous looking cars (yes, even the Lexus), and although the current design trend at BMW has been disappointing (as with the Z4, in my opinion), sometimes it hits much better than expected, especially when seen in person (new 7 series, which after getting to spend some time with I think is a beautiful car).

But for me it all comes down to how it drives, and BMW - at its best - edges the competition out. If the new 6 series has the right stuff under the hood and in the chassis and suspension, it's definitely my choice.

·
10,856 Posts
I'd have to agree with Nate on this one. Although the SL is a BEAUTIFUL machine, the transmission ruins it for me. Since there is a good chance the Bimmer will be available with a stick, well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts