Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Slush-box or nothing....

Votes: 2 1.7%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not shure yet. I would have to try out the SMG. Once I see how well I can shift the M5 this weekend (heel-toe, etc), I will be able to make up my mind better.

As of now, the ability to make perfect shifts and perfect rev-matches ever times seems very appealing. :yikes: I would lean to SMG for the track, even if it is imperfect on the street...

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
I think the SMG is probably the right choice for the track (or even for autocrossing), for the reasons you state. After all, that's why they use it in F1.

I would stick with the traditional stick for street use or mixed street/track use, though. I've heard that SMG-type transmissions eat clutches pretty quickly, which is OK on an F355 or a Vanquish (that might go 1000 miles in a year), but is NOT acceptable on a car I use as a 12K mi/yr daily driver. I've also heard that they are awkward in urban settings, which is where I do a good chunk of my driving.

More than that, though, I really do enjoy the interplay of the clutch pedal and the other controls. It's fun to shift using a clutch, and I don't see any reason to give that up.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JST said:
I think the SMG is probably the right choice for the track (or even for autocrossing), for the reasons you state. After all, that's why they use it in F1.

I would stick with the traditional stick for street use or mixed street/track use, though. I've heard that SMG-type transmissions eat clutches pretty quickly, which is OK on an F355 or a Vanquish (that might go 1000 miles in a year), but is NOT acceptable on a car I use as a 12K mi/yr daily driver. I've also heard that they are awkward in urban settings, which is where I do a good chunk of my driving.

More than that, though, I really do enjoy the interplay of the clutch pedal and the other controls. It's fun to shift using a clutch, and I don't see any reason to give that up.
What you state is true, that is the problem.

Almost ALL of my driving is in the city, and probably always will be (I hate the suburbs). I love to shift and use my clutch, but I will probably never perfect the heel-toe that the SMG can do.

I'm torn :cry:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
nate328Ci said:
It isn't an automatic :confused:
theoretically maybe it isn't. But as long as there's no clutch pedal, it's not a manual either, IMO.

With Alpina Switchtronic you have the same effect.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex Baumann said:

theoretically maybe it isn't. But as long as there's no clutch pedal, it's not a manual either, IMO.

With Alpina Switchtronic you have the same effect.
Switchtronic is a regular Steptronic transmission with shift buttons on the steering wheel, right?

That is VERY, VERY different from SMG. SMG is a real manual with computer cluch programs. Switchtronic doesn't dump the clutch, allow you to shift in 0.08sec, rev-match, etc.....

20,210 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Switchtronic is a regular Steptronic transmission with shift buttons on the steering wheel, right?

That is VERY, VERY different from SMG. SMG is a real manual with computer cluch programs. Switchtronic doesn't dump the clutch, allow you to shift in 0.08sec, rev-match, etc.....
We know, we know....

but it's still a fancy manu-matic. ;)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Nate,

I know very well how SMG works. A real manual car has a clutch pedal. SMG is something between automatic and manual. How do you explain the Auto-mode in SMG ?

With SMG you're not clutching, you are having the computer clutching for you (in a conventional way of course).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alex Baumann said:

Nate,

I know very well how SMG works. A real manual car has a clutch pedal. SMG is something between automatic and manual. How do you explain the Auto-mode in SMG ?

With SMG you're not clutching, you are having the computer clutching for you (in a conventional way of course).
You may not think that it is a real manual, I can accept that. But saying that SMG is a fancy automatic is completely wrong.

Automatic mode in SMG is very crude, the manual mode allows complete control of the shifiting that is not possible with a Step....

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
nate328Ci said:
You may not think that it is a real manual, I can accept that. But saying that SMG is a fancy automatic is completely wrong.

Automatic mode in SMG is very crude, the manual mode allows complete control of the shifiting that is not possible with a Step....
Well, some may say it's fancy-automatic, others may say it's a fancy-manual. I'd call it SMG :)

But again, other than shifting speed, I can see no advantages there.

And playing with clutch pedal to adjust the dose of gas in traffic shouldn't be as easy as with a manual. I haven't tested SMG yet, maybe someone who tested it may give us a feedback.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
SMG sounds interesting, but I would have to drive it BEFORE buying it.

But, I also do not quite get the point of shift paddles if your car has more than one turn, lock to lock, on the steering wheel??

I mean, shift paddles make more sense if your hands are not leaving the steering wheel

Otherwise, isn't manual the only way to drive:dunno: :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.