BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this start recently and I have no idea why. I have this high pitched "whine" coming from the front left wheel area of the car when I come from a complete stop and I am moving. It happens sporadically and I have no idea what it is. Could it be brakes? I-Drive says I have 20K miles left before front brakes need to be replaced. Any ideas?

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
I dont know, but here are some ideas. Hope this helps. Maybe something brake pad or rotor related. Is it time to change it, or did a rock/pebble get stuck in it? Or maybe a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
U hope its just the pads/rotors, or could be a wheel bearing? how many miles are on the car?? P.s i had a whine on a bmw in the past and it tiurned out to be the tire was bad, and it looked ok too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
106K. I just did a quick look and I need tires as I am starting to see the mesh in my Kuhmos on the inside of the tire.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Check your floating calipers. I
Had a nightmare with my 750 when I first got it. 1bad will tell you how much I bitched and moaned. Anyhow when I came from a stop and made a left or right I got a high botched whine. They thought it was the steering pump. It wasn't. They spent over 20k in parts and still nothing. I noticed it got worse but would go away when it rained hard which lead me to beleive that it was a lubrication issue. They greased all of the components of the wheels was a last resort and the issue was gone. I suspect it was the floating calipers needing grease

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Check your floating calipers. I
Had a nightmare with my 750 when I first got it. 1bad will tell you how much I bitched and moaned. Anyhow when I came from a stop and made a left or right I got a high botched whine. They thought it was the steering pump. It wasn't. They spent over 20k in parts and still nothing. I noticed it got worse but would go away when it rained hard which lead me to beleive that it was a lubrication issue. They greased all of the components of the wheels was a last resort and the issue was gone. I suspect it was the floating calipers needing grease
What,so the dealer spend 20K on parts and after that the grease:confused: over here they would start with the grease before replacing parts so 20K for nothing not a smart Dealer though,if i was the boss of that Dealer the mechanic would have serious issues he's costing me money and parts:mad: 20K parts that's very very much :tsk:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts