BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whine I can't hear from my 528i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife tells me that she can hear a high pitched whine coming from what she thinks is the automatic transmission on my 1999 528i. I can't hear it, but that doesn't surprise me. I have a high frequency hearing loss. She says it is some times there, most likely when just having taken off and things are cold. Then after awhile it goes away. It only happens when accelerating and stops when I decelerate. The transmission functions perfectly. Before I take it to the shop, does anyone have some ideas. It is frustrating because I can't hear a thing other than normal transmission sounds and she can't adequately describe it so that I can even imagine what it sounds like or what it might be.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Likely bad tensioner and the belts squeal.

Or maybe air leak.

Take it for a quick diagnosis (but make sure you don't pay anything upfront). Then report back what the mechanics say so we can help you get through some DIYs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it could be a tensioner I guess. I had some servicing done recently to repair a small oil leak, had the trasnmission flued changed and likewise the power stearing and brake fluids, and the mechanic mentioned that the tensioner bearing was sounding a little dry. But, I can't hear it with the hood up and my wife says that the noise goes away when the car is in neutral or when I leave off on the accelorator. I'll keep you posted.

·
Be american, get a bimmer
640 Posts
mine has an air leak, it only happens when i drive the car for a while (10 min +) and it warmed up all the way....

any clue how can i detect it? i really cant listen to it since the engine is running

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Use this Vacuum Machine trick:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398284&highlight=vacuum+trick

But there is another "quick and dirty" way to do it:

1. Remove the Air Filter and wrapped it in a large ziploc bag, then re-insert it and close the flap.
This way no air enters from the outside world.

2. Duct Tape the Exhaust Tail Pipe shut.

3. The using the pic below where it is labeled "Cut this Clamp" and attach your vacuum hose there to apply suction:

PS: Likely the Rubber Elbows and some vacuum hose. You may want to read this DIY indetail and do an Intake Air Overhaul:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

Also don't forget to undo all these Duct Tapes and Ziploc bag when done!!!

·
Be american, get a bimmer
640 Posts
Use this Vacuum Machine trick:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398284&highlight=vacuum+trick

But there is another "quick and dirty" way to do it:

1. Remove the Air Filter and wrapped it in a large ziploc bag, then re-insert it and close the flap.
This way no air enters from the outside world.

2. Duct Tape the Exhaust Tail Pipe shut.

3. The using the pic below where it is labeled "Cut this Clamp" and attach your vacuum hose there to apply suction:

PS: Likely the Rubber Elbows and some vacuum hose. You may want to read this DIY indetail and do an Intake Air Overhaul:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

Also don't forget to undo all these Duct Tapes and Ziploc bag when done!!!
Thanks mate :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it's a bad tensioner. I still can't hear it, but, everyone else can. How big of a hassle is it to change it myself? I haven't owned this car long and have not done any work on it myself, although, I probably have adequate tools to do the job.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Yep, it's a bad tensioner. I still can't hear it, but, everyone else can. How big of a hassle is it to change it myself? I haven't owned this car long and have not done any work on it myself, although, I probably have adequate tools to do the job.
It is a 30 min job.
This is 98 528i Cooling Overhaul, 1999 belt routing is the same. Exceptions are: hydraulic vs mechanical tensioners:
www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

You need a 32-mm thin wrench to undo the Fan Clutch.

The bad tensioner is only a warning sign of an impending tsunami!
Do a cooling overhaul while you are there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does that include? According to the service record the water pump was changed not too long ago and the cooling system flushed. The coolant looks to be brand new.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
What does that include? According to the service record the water pump was changed not too long ago and the cooling system flushed. The coolant looks to be brand new.
Have a look at my Cooling Overhaul again:
www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

All the parts are listed in there.
Anything new such as WP, keep it.
Anything not yet replaced, and if you have more than 100K miles, replace them:
- WP replaced ---> OK
- Radiator
- Thermostat and Housing
- Hoses x 2
- Fan Clutch/Fan Blade
- Reservoir + Cap
- Tensioners x 2
- Rollers x 3

See the DIY!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, new tensioners, new rollers and new belts. The water pump and thermostat changed 9000 miles ago and radiator flushed and new coolant and radiator supports at that time. The fan clutch is fine as is the resevoir. Everything should be ok up there for awhile. Thanks for the help. I'll be back for more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts