BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this open air flow connector on my air filter box shown in the red box. Do you all think this is causing the whistle? And yes the tube elbow is new and has no holes as well as no other holes that I saw when removing the MAF and all connecting air intake tubes to the engine.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only notice it in 2nd and 3rd between 4k and 6k rpm. It is not bad but I thought after replacing the tube with the faulty elbow joint the sound would go away.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I only notice it in 2nd and 3rd between 4k and 6k rpm.
Is this with the windows down or up? Any differences with either the windows up or down? Is the A/C on or off? I'll have to try and pay attention to that the next time I am driving it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hear it a bit with the windows up. AC on/off no diff. With the radio on and not blarring you can't hear it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
my car whistles whenever i hit the gas, when i lift my foot off the peddle the whistle goes away :dunno:
when i turn off the car it also makes that whistle sound, i don't know what's that all about :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have the whistling sound but not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Still have the whistling sound but not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
To test: I would take the air filter momentarily (inside a garage to control dust) start the engine and see if it still whistles. If it does, then that is not the problem. If the whistling stops, reinstall the cover and make sure it is flat or seals all around. It the whistling returns, try to cover the area with a piece of tape just to determine that it is the source of the sound.

I suspect it is your oil separator. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took some time and removed DISA valve today to get a good look at the oil seperator and it is dry as a bone. I also took off the air filter box and revved up the engine in the garage no more whistle. I think it is the open port going out to play tomorrow, see if I can get it to whistle again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put a temp cover on the air filter box opening and I am still getting a whistle. :cry:

Oil compressor has no leaks, have new tube elbow (old had hole), I did a vacuum check removing the oil fill cap and putting a freezer bag over on a warm engine no major vacuum just held the bag in place lightly. It only happens on the road in 2nd and 3rd at about 4500k rpm and above. Not sure what to check next, any ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My big issue with the whistle is that the car does not do it unless the engine is under stress. Sitting in the garage reving to 6k its quiet as can be. It only does the whistle in 2nd and 3rd, above that its quiet or its just not audible to me in 4th at high rpms.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts