BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Got my white e90 last night and it's pretty sweet (though even with the fact that I am a computer wiz, it will take me a month to figure out the iDrive system). For those of you waiting, I ordered mine March 25 (the day after prices were announced) so a little under 7 weeks turn time.

I wanted to say a big thanks to everyone at the Fest for all the help and tips and info over the last year. It's been fun and because of you guys I think I got the perfect package for me (325i Sport, Cold, Nav, Assist, Xenon: White with Tan and Alum).

My initial impressions coming off almost exactly the same car (except nav) as a 2002 model would be the following:

-engine is quieter (keep thinking I might have stalled?)
-short throw does not seem as short as I expected
-clutch and shifter seem like they will wear in nicely
-interior is sweet
-exterior looks way better than I expected, and made my matching e46 look tired and old. The front especially looks meaner than I thought it would :)
-style 161 wheels look way better in person: much more hard core than expected
-drives much smoother and solid: less go-cart style, more refined...but not in a bad way.
-goes fast, corners faster.
-ride does not seem as harsh as e90 sport
-steering wheel is sweet
-that 6th gear is something I always wanted. Great for over 80mph highway cruisin'.
-sports seats are awesome...motorized back width adjustment is worthy
-weird how some controls moved and some didn't. Keep trying to wind down windows in middle console.
-iDrive is hard. Voice control really does not work well. Makes me feel like Ozzy (you know the scene I am talking about).
-syncs well with my Sony Ericcson T637 (despite the tech guy at the dealer saying it would not work).
-indicating is going to be a bear to get used to: weird system and two stalks on left side get in the way of each other
-windsheild wipers are also different...no longer notched stalk.
-front seats seem to have more room, back seats do not
-moonroof is bigger
-lights from door handles are cool.
-turning on and off the car is different (key fob) but the sequence is really nice. By sequence I mean the car goes through stages of turning on and off. For instance the lights turn off in stages depending on what you do...engine off = main headlamps off. Key out = some other exterior lights turn off etc.
-highbeams seems much brighter
-BT integration is sweet with iDrive
-BT phone only uses the shark fin if you get the cradle for it (available in a few months) but iDrive does show you on screen the BT phone's signal quality even without using the shark fin.
-I miss the orange rear indicators. These monotone car colors need a splash of yellow to help them out.
-BIGGEST GRIP is less storage holes to throw things into within drivers reach. Cell phone, change, camera, trash etc. Those little pockets and cupholders were neat.
-my wife is thinking her green 2003 e46 is looking old all of a sudden (see pics).

Overall it's an impressive and all grown up type upgrade and makes the e46 seem oddly primitive in comparison. Which was quite a surprise to me, the owner of 2 e46s.

So some pics!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Excellent pics...very nice looking! I-drive and the turn signals are a pain in the beginning but you'll learn to like them. The voice command system is nice but after a year of having it in my 5er I hardly ever use it. It takes 2 attempts (or even 3) for it to understand me sometimes. It has to be VERY quiet in the car before you speak the command. It would be great if I could compile a list of the top 10 voice commands and just try to start using them....I think there are 13 pages of commands somewhere...I think organic chemistry was easier than that. Since I'm transitioning to a stick I think I'm going to need to make peace with the voice command guy since I'll have one less hand free.

Drive it in good health!! :thumbup:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Whoa, white is looking much better than I expected. Congrats.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
White is hot! Oh man! It looks so much better now that there aren't any black trim pieces to dirty it all up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats........... can't wait for mine too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just changed my order

That's unreal. The white looks so sick on the car... I'm currently driving a white E46 cab and my 330 E90 that i'm getting in August was orginally ordered as Black Sapphire. I just switched it. Nice.
330I/White/Black Dakota/SP/PP/BMW Assist/Burl Walnut/6spd.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks awesome! :thumbup: Congrats!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The white looks hot!

My fav color for the e90. Enjoy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was all set to get SG, but the more I look at AW, the more I'm changing my mind. I always thought the E46 looked great in white and the E90 doesn't change that opinion (thanks for all the great pix, BTW). I've owned one white car previously and it beat the crap out of black (never again) and my current Accord in Blue (almost as bad as black - although it is pimpin' for at least 5 minutes after I wash and Zaino it). Plus, since it looks like I'm moving back South :) I'll take all the heat relief I can get! Also, reconsidering Sport again. I know the seats alone are worth it (in fact, I've posted that!) but my second test drive today gave me pause. It was a non-sport 330i Step, but over some crappy roads (Route 23 near Wayne for those familar w/ Jersey). Lots of potholes, broken pavement and generally beat up roads with a couple of relatively smooth ramps for spirited moments. The non-sport handled almost as well. Sorry - TANGENT! :yikes: Anyway, I'm seriously consider AW!

·
Registered
86 Posts
7 weeks...dang your lucky...i've been waiting since the middle of february...

BUT IM GETTING MINE TOMORROW!!!.

i'll be the first on in toronto probably...im pumped....

btw...congrats on the car...white is pretty nice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, white looks awesome. congrats on the car, and thanks for the great pics. :p

·
TTSam
745 Posts
Blax said:
Hey all,

Got my white e90 last night and it's pretty sweet
Wow - I am impressed with the E90 white.

Looks much better than the E46 wagon which looked like an ambulance in white!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts