BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 5th BMW. E92, coupe. All white. But I must say, I want to make the roof black, ala M3. I thought about doing vinyl wrap, which I have experience with, but not in this scale. Also, I'm afraid that obviously being directly on the sun will fade it as most vinyl fades in color.
So, then I thought about plastidip, but the same issues arise, not to mention puncturing by road pebbles and such.
Now, I'm not sure I want such a permanent solution like painting it.
So any suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your best option is to vinyl wrap it but with a company that offers a warranty. I wouldn't worry too much about the color fading either. My friend had his GS350 vinyl wrapped on the car about a year ago. Still looks as good as new.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've never come across a wrap that doesn't fade if it's on a surface directly on the sun, like a spoiler, or a roof, or a hood. Even when I've wrapped other cars from people, and they tell me it still looks "like new" after a while, I grab a piece of unmounted wrap, and you can tell the difference after a while. Especially with the dark colors.
Although, the cost might offset the the inconvenience of having to re-wrap after it fades.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I just bought my 5th BMW. E92, coupe. All white. But I must say, I want to make the roof black, ala M3.
Good Lord! Nobody will think you have a M3 or that you have a carbon fiber roof. Further, you will increase our level of Global Warming by absorbing the bad Sun rays, making your ride a rolling radiator.

Dude, freeze! Has Hillary made no impression on you at all?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, no, I'm not an "M3 Poser". Believe me, I've had all 3 Series for all 5 BMWS I've owned, and being a bmw enthusiast for over 15 years, I would never alter my car's look just to trick people.
I just like the look of the contrasting black against the white.
And I never said anything about "carbon fiber". If anything, if I were to vinyl wrap, I would only do gloss black, to make it look natural.
I think you misconstrued my intent a tad.

·
Vendor
2,401 Posts
I would find a reputable place that knows how to correctly wrap your roof as well as offers high-quality vinyl. Also, I'd probably add some accessories to give your car a more aggressive look such as a front lip, trunk spoiler, diffuser

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always done my own wrapping. And while I understand the merit of going with an actual business establishment, I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on this car, for this job. If it was my last car, a $65000 car, then it'd be a different story. But for this car maybe I'll just do it myself.
Unless the community strongly opposes it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I say just do it. Worst case scenario - you either redo it or remove it. I'd do the mirrors and grilles to match.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Good Lord! Nobody will think you have a M3 or that you have a carbon fiber roof. Further, you will increase our level of Global Warming by absorbing the bad Sun rays, making your ride a rolling radiator.

Dude, freeze! Has Hillary made no impression on you at all?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just bought my 5th BMW. E92, coupe. All white. But I must say, I want to make the roof black, ala M3. I thought about doing vinyl wrap, which I have experience with, but not in this scale. Also, I'm afraid that obviously being directly on the sun will fade it as most vinyl fades in color.
So, then I thought about plastidip, but the same issues arise, not to mention puncturing by road pebbles and such.
Now, I'm not sure I want such a permanent solution like painting it.
So any suggestions?
Have a body shop give you an estimate .....I bet you it won't cost much more than a wrap or anything else plus it won't fade and look cheesy in 6 months

Estimates are free and it wouldn't hurt to know

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts