BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has a wobble in their tires

I've had all 4 tires balanced twice a year and alignment is good but I've noticed at two specific speeds it sounds like my car is falling apart

35 mph or 45 km/hr and 60 mph or 90 km/hr

anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a '97 328ic...I wouldn't say "falling apart", but it certainly vibrates right around those speeds as well. I've had everything checked out, and no one can find anything wrong. Of course, driving the local roads in New York City anytime you're not in a giant hole you can consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I've had all 4 tires balanced twice a year and alignment is good but I've noticed at two specific speeds it sounds like my car is falling apart

bent wheel or balance issue, could also be loose front end. vibrations = something is wrong. if ur mechanic cant find the problem go to another shop

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my mechanic is crazy

I think I should switch mechanics. Mine just takes my car out for donuts practically. He'll tear down the side street at over 4k rpm jumping between gears, then will drive in circles at like 30 km/hr about 10 times and that'll be it. He's a total tool.

I specifically said it occurs at low speeds between 1st and 2nd gear too.

After reading someone's post that they spent $750 tightening up their front end, I think my car is still good for another 20 000 km or so

·
ZHPper
2,126 Posts

I had that problem with my 95 318ti...shimmy about 35mph. I was told by very reliable sources that it was "built in" and could not be fixed. And it never was...annoying but not dangerous so I lived with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had that problem with my 95 318ti...shimmy about 35mph. I was told by very reliable sources that it was "built in" and could not be fixed. And it never was...annoying but not dangerous so I lived with it.
all shimmy, vibrations, anything are bad. none are design or built in. problem can be expensive at times or difficult to fix. if any tech tells u its the way the car is they are full of it and just dont want to fix it. i am an ase master tech, and have a lot of experience. trust me all vibrations are bad and can be fixed. question is how much and how hard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do not underestimate the role of tire quality. Sometimes particular tires can simulate much more expensive problems. Can someone recommend tires that give really good results on BMW all around and don't vibrate?

·
Registered
105 Posts
had that exact issue, turned out to be the donut aka guibo aka flex disk and the centre bearing. get it fixed before it gets worse and you end up having to pay someone whos guts you hate to do the job.
i hope that asshole chokes on my $$$

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
mine vibrates at about 55mph. I have done everything I know to correct but it still occurs. Very frustrating. My wife's Corrolla has a smoother ride than mine. :bawling:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i fixed my flex disc too

When we bought our brand-new 2001 civic it would vibrate at 110 km/hr from day 1

I think it's my rotors or balancing on tires

The wear pattern is uneven with more on the edges

The flex disc / center piece isn't too hard to fix, it was $100 at the mechanic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts