BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an order in for a 330i with SMG for ED. Who else has placed an order or is planning to order one?

·
Addicted
1,250 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I enjoy the SMG tranny. I may do another one, but it would most likely be an e90 coupe, so more waiting for me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nbtstatic said:
As you can see from my sig, I enjoy the SMG tranny. I may do another one, but it would most likely be an e90 coupe, so more waiting for me.
Hi,
I really want to buy a SMG but a lot of people keep telling me they don't like it. Can you please share your experience? I will be buying the E90 next year for both me and my wife to use. I like manual transmissions and the wife likes automatics even though she also enjoys driving my manual miata. DO you think we would like the SMG? is the auto mode really that bad? And if you can please post some photos of the dash showing the shifter and the stick....

THanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
JB-From-FL said:
I have an order in for a 330i with SMG for ED. Who else has placed an order or is planning to order one?
You are very brave to order one without trying it out on a test drive. BMW screwed it up on the Z4 and hence less than 6% of Z4's are ordered with SMG. Do a search for the Car and Driver review. You would assume they have refined it and fixed the problems, but again, assumptions are brave when you are talking about such a big purchase.

I will let users experiences here and my eventual test drive be my guinea pig. Please right a review of it after you get the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want a 4 door M3 then!!!!!

Now I understand....

I made this post to see who would be upset if BMWNA decided not to bring SMG to the USA on the 330i. I would, as I have ordered a 330i SMG for Sept produciton.

Well it looks like almost no one else would!!! :mad: The 545i guys like Bee over on the E60 board rave about SMG (same as the E46 version) but there is no love from the E46/E90 crowd. Actually, only 4% of the non-M E46 cars have SMG but almost 50% of the M3's were ordered with SMG.

Anyway, at 3acrossamerica I asked the product manager what to expect with the E90 SMG... SMG or SMG II.... noting that it would be worth the extra $900 for SMG II as a consumer. Well I was told the SMG decision was not "firm" and then told to just order a MT and I would enjoy it, with a comment that the magazines are getting 5.6 seconds out of the car sitting there next to us. I then said "is there a posibility that there will not be SMG at all?" I got a positive head nod and a lesson about the 4% take rate compared to almost 50% on SMG cars.

Well, on my 2 hour drive home from the 3acrossamerica I was really bumming that I may not get "my" car. Well, then it hit me that if I was a product manager the ONLY way I would not build a SMG 330i was if it was going erode my business case to get BMW to build a E90 M3 4 door for the US. I remember that the E36 M3 4 door basicly only sold well in the US. Anyway, as I can not afford a M5 and will not buy a 2 door car.... I would like to shout to BMWNA. I WANT A M3 4 DOOR, QUICK!!!!! :banana:

So, it looks like the 2006 330i I have on order will be getting a Step and going to my wife (her lease is up). I think I will lease something BMW with a low money factor and BET on the M3 4 door SMG in 36 months.

BrettInLJ said:
You are very brave to order one without trying it out on a test drive. BMW screwed it up on the Z4 and hence less than 6% of Z4's are ordered with SMG. Do a search for the Car and Driver review. You would assume they have refined it and fixed the problems, but again, assumptions are brave when you are talking about such a big purchase.

I will let users experiences here and my eventual test drive be my guinea pig. Please right a review of it after you get the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
JB-From-FL said:
Now I understand....
Anyway, at 3acrossamerica I asked the product manager what to expect with the E90 SMG... SMG or SMG II.... noting that it would be worth the extra $900 for SMG II as a consumer. Well I was told the SMG decision was not "firm" and then told to just order a MT and I would enjoy it, with a comment that the magazines are getting 5.6 seconds out of the car sitting there next to us. I then said "is there a posibility that there will not be SMG at all?" I got a positive head nod and a lesson about the 4% take rate compared to almost 50% on SMG cars.
Well my best guess is he wanted you to buy a car now to boost their initial sales figures and not wait until September? I can't give this product manager any credibility if he says they may not a SMG at all - BMW has officially put it on the price list and its there in all their brochures. Maybe I didn't understood you right, but as far as I understand, SMG will definitely be there in September.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I would not buy a car sooner with any tranny

The only reason that I ambuying first year car is that it is time to trade and I can buy a car built after the factory shutdown in August so they will make some minor improvements. Along with the upgrades to the Sport Package.

fidozoom said:
Well my best guess is he wanted you to buy a car now to boost their initial sales figures and not wait until September? I can't give this product manager any credibility if he says they may not a SMG at all - BMW has officially put it on the price list and its there in all their brochures. Maybe I didn't understood you right, but as far as I understand, SMG will definitely be there in September.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm waiting until the SMG is available.
I want mine in Black Sapphire & black leather, even though I said I would never own another black vehicle again(had 83' Trans Am w/crossfire motor in black).
Not sure of wood or aluminum trim(leaning towards aluminum)
Sport Package
Premium Package
Power window shade(figure I need it with a black car)
Nav(Yea, I know it gets you IDrive....but I figure my Garmin unit will fly around the vehicle during much anticipated spirited driving)
I drove an M3 & Z4 with SMG at BMW's 2 day driving school, and was convinced of its superior performance.(There's no way I can shift as fast as the computer)
Catch-22 is I'm also thinking about the 4 wheel drive version, and SMG might not be available in the 330XI(Opinion based on e46 version option choices)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Most people do not understand the SMG

BrettInLJ said:

I think people do not know what to do with SMG.

The SMG is a manual transmission. You need to drive it like a manual, making the throttle adjustments the way you would do in a manual.

The SMG can be driven in the automatic mode but since you do not control the shifts, you can not make the throttle adjustments. However with a little bit of practise you can pretty much predict/sense the shift points and make adjustments.

The problem is that most people expect the SMG to behave like an automatic slush box transmission in the auto mode. It will never do that because it does not have a slush box to smoothen the transmission. You have to be more involved in the driving to be able to enjoy an SMG. You can not enjoy it if you drive it like an automatic even if it is in the drive mode.

On our SMG Z4, my wife drives it in automatic. After a few weeks she has become used to it and can drive it without problem. The difficult gear is the 1st one where the car may disengage the clutch if the software feels you are about to brake. This leads to a jerky ride. If you are smooth with the gas pedal the jerks go away.

As someone mentioned, there is a strong possibility that BMW will eventually phase out manuals in the favor of SMGs in many of their mainstream models.

·
Nerd
1,432 Posts
BayAreaBMWFan said:
I think people do not know what to do with SMG.
As someone mentioned, there is a strong possibility that BMW will eventually phase out manuals in the favor of SMGs in many of their mainstream models.
And if/when that accouncement comes... I will be here watching the fireworks. : popcorn:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
iateyourcheese said:
And if/when that accouncement comes... I will be here watching the fireworks. : popcorn:
Never happen. The US market M5 is getting a manual. Paddle shifting is passé when Pontiac starts using it. :rofl:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Call me old school, but for me, a sports car must have a manual stick shift. I think paddle-shifting is for high power super exotics and GT cars... SMG is perfect for an M6 or an M5 (and perhaps even a normal 5-series or 6-series) but not sports cars like the Z4, 3-Series, or even a Boxster... It's just not the way these types of cars should be driven IMHO.

It's like you would never consider putting an SMG in a 7-series - it just doesn't belong there... nor does a stick for that car. An automatic is essential in a 7-series (perhaps with paddles) but no SMG.

Here is a rule of thumb as to how cars should be equipped (IMHO):

Sports Car = Manual
HiPerf Midsize/GT/Exotic = SMG
Midsize Luxury = Auto
Large Luxury = Auto
Mid/Large SUV = Auto
Small SUV = Manual

·
Registered
112 Posts
ObD said:
Never happen. The US market M5 is getting a manual. Paddle shifting is passé when Pontiac starts using it. :rofl:
Eh, besides the fact that the Paddle-Shifting in Pontiacs uses a completely different kind of transmission(auto) than the M5(manual), Pontiac also offers a manual on some cars, just like the US M5 will.

·
Registered
321 Posts
virtualrain said:
Call me old school, but for me, a sports car must have a manual stick shift. I think paddle-shifting is for high power super exotics and GT cars... SMG is perfect for an M6 or an M5 (and perhaps even a normal 5-series or 6-series) but not sports cars like the Z4, 3-Series, or even a Boxster... It's just not the way these types of cars should be driven IMHO.
F1 race cars use SMG - albeit a much better version. So I don't understnad why a sports car must have a stick. If its all about the driving experience and feeling of control in driving a manual I don't see why manual and SMG would be any different - of course one mite miss the clutch pedal and the H pattern shifting but really is that the main part of the driving experience (for me it would be controlling the vehicle precisely which is what SMG would let me do)

·
Registered
176 Posts
i drove an smg 02 m3 a little while ago, it took some getting used to. absolutely nothing like an automatic. i never got the low rpm shifts down perfect... but i was able to get a few smooth ones. it does take some practice, but i can see that once you get used to learning how the car drives with smg it would become second nature.

to me it seems as though the smg was made for driving the hell out of your car. didnt seem as comfortable as a daily driver as a manual or an automatic. it much seemed to prefer the higher rpms than the lower ones. (shifts were really jerky with anything below 4k) i only drove it for about 30 minutes so thats just my opinion given my limited experience with smg.

i dont doubt that it will eventually replace the automatic when it gets smooth and efficient enough.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fidozoom said:
F1 race cars use SMG - albeit a much better version. So I don't understnad why a sports car must have a stick. If its all about the driving experience and feeling of control in driving a manual I don't see why manual and SMG would be any different - of course one mite miss the clutch pedal and the H pattern shifting but really is that the main part of the driving experience (for me it would be controlling the vehicle precisely which is what SMG would let me do)
I counld not have said it better myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
virtualrain said:

It's like you would never consider putting an SMG in a 7-series - it just doesn't belong there... nor does a stick for that car. An automatic is essential in a 7-series (perhaps with paddles) but no SMG.

Here is a rule of thumb as to how cars should be equipped (IMHO):

Sports Car = Manual
HiPerf Midsize/GT/Exotic = SMG
Midsize Luxury = Auto
Large Luxury = Auto
Mid/Large SUV = Auto
Small SUV = Manual
exactly how i think too

·
Registered
209 Posts
fidozoom said:
F1 race cars use SMG - albeit a much better version.
Just because an F1 race car has something doesn't mean I should find it in my sports car (there are plenty of obvious examples). F1 cars use SMG technology not to improve the "driving experience" but to enable the absolute fastest lap times. This may or may not be your #1 priority... It is not mine.

Total control of the transmission can be achieved with any of BMW's current offerings (SMG, steptronic, and stick). They all allow individual gear selection and fully manual control.

For me, the stick shift is just one of the virtues of driving a sports car, and as I said, as the car gets bigger and more powerful, I would prefer a different transmission, but for a 3-Series, the stick is king!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why can't we have it all-stick, auto, SMG, & DSG? Why can't we just live in peace? All kidding aside, why would BMW do away with the stick or auto? They are both proven sellers. I think adding more options like SMG & DSG will only boost sales. I just ordered an E90 with an auto (I know, I know). I would have liked to order the SMG, or even better the DSG, but that is an eternity away. I will probably wait a year-or-so, and get one.

IMHO these cars were meant to be driven, & that is a little difficult with an auto. I think the SMG and DSG will give us some great options.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts