BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
TD said:
I just ordered the parts to do THIS- http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/techtips/rear_shock_mounts.htm

I'm planning on doing this this weekend and was looking to see how diffucult it was or if anyone encountered any specific issues that they could share with me in advance.

I think The HACK (Dan) did this a while back but I am not positive.

Regardless, anyone have any feedback/tips?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Tom, I'd be little careful. At least some on the M3 board at the Org are of the opinion that it isn't wise to replace the shock mounts with the updated units. The logic is that if something is going to be the weak point and fail, it's better that it is the $20 shock mount than the sheet metal surrounding the $20 shock mount. Replacing that, if it did fail, would involve a lot of welding and other unpleasantness.

I haven't seen any hard data one way or the other, but you may want to ask over there and see if you find the responses persuasive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Who has replaced their rear shock mounts? Hack?

JST said:

Tom, I'd be little careful. At least some on the M3 board at the Org are of the opinion that it isn't wise to replace the shock mounts with the updated units. The logic is that if something is going to be the weak point and fail, it's better that it is the $20 shock mount than the sheet metal surrounding the $20 shock mount. Replacing that, if it did fail, would involve a lot of welding and other unpleasantness.

I haven't seen any hard data one way or the other, but you may want to ask over there and see if you find the responses persuasive.
Of course, the Roadfly search engine is hosed so, short of asking anew, I'm SOL. I figure this is a question that's been beaten to death, so I'm reluctant to ask.

But a quick Google search shows MANY references to buying replacement (and aftermarket) rear shock mounts for E36 M3s.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
TD said:
Also, I found THESE DIY instructions- http://www.racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_rear_shock_mounts/change_rear_shock_mounts.htm

Any thoughts on changing out the shocks at the same time? I had been thinking about Bilstein sport shocks anyway. Would that change my BMWCCA autox classification?
Yeah, I think it would. Here is what the website has to say:

http://www.bcpl.net/~ncc/autocross/classes.html

As you can see, new shocks are not specifically mentioned, but I'd lump them in with new springs if I had to make a guess.

Interestingly, it would NOT change your SCCA classification. Your X-brace already puts you in B Street Prepared, and any shocks are allowed in Street Prepared so long as they attach to the original mounting points. The new shock mounts should also be allowable under BSP.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s14

All of that aside, I wouldn't let your BMW autox classification stop you from doing the mod.

You are very ambitious. All I'm hoping to accomplish this weekend is installing my grille badge (if it comes in time) and washing my car.

Are you having any issues with your current shocks?

·
Cheapassaurus Rex
128 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SteveMD said:

Just curious but why Bilsteins? Konis seem to be the schitz and I plan to go with them when I do my shocks.
I'm undecided on shocks and have no intention of doing them YET.

As for the CCA autox, I received a response to my email asking them if these changes would affect my classification and they will NOT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ordered the E46 mounts and plan on installing them on Saturday. We'll see how it goes and what difference, if any, it makes.

Since The HACK has performed this mod, I was looking for his assesment of it's difficulty. But apparently The HACK does not visit the DIY board (ironic, eh?).

I guess I'll have to email him.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.