BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about it...

But I also am thinking about cutting the top of my airbox for ventilation and retrofitting a cone style filter in the box. I have a carbon fiber vented hood and I think I can get just as much cold air from the top through the hood.

Do you have a 540 stock airbox that you can sell me?

Any thoughts?

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
I've not done CAI on mine mainly due to what I've read on this and other forums. Your alternative doesn't sound shabby, though. Pics of the hood, please!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My new 540i has a Dinan CAI, along with all of the Dinan engine mods short of a SC.

All I can tell you is that beast is a rocket! I was doing 130 in 6th yesterday on a five mile flat stretch, still accelerating at a constant rate, when the car seemingly lurched into annother gear. It may have been due to the Dinan Stage 5 software kicking in after a prolonged pedal-to-the metal, but man, with a jolt, it felt like an additional 35-50% increase in the already pounding acceleration. I have never felt anything like that before.

540s super cars? -- got my vote. Smooth as silk and fast as lightening. Unbelievable performance for the cost.

Sadly, I ran out of open ground too quickly to see what that increased rate of acceleration would result in. I had to shut it down after just a few seconds of afterburner.

Wow!

I'd say, get whatever proven engine mods you can. The Dinan ones certainly beat my expectations.

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
My new 540i has a Dinan CAI, along with all of the Dinan engine mods short of a SC.

All I can tell you is that beast is a rocket! I was doing 130 in 6th yesterday on a five mile flat stretch, still accelerating at a constant rate, when the car seemingly lurched into annother gear. It may have been due to the Dinan Stage 5 software kicking in after a prolonged pedal-to-the metal, but man, with a jolt, it felt like an additional 35-50% increase in the already pounding acceleration. I have never felt anything like that before.

540s super cars? -- got my vote. Smooth as silk and fast as lightening. Unbelievable performance for the cost.

Sadly, I ran out of open ground too quickly to see what that increased rate of acceleration would result in. I had to shut it down after just a few seconds of afterburner.

Wow!

I'd say, get whatever proven engine mods you can. The Dinan ones certainly beat my expectations.
i have the dinan cai and software as well. both were installed together so its hard to say if the performance increase was due to cai or the software. in any case, it definitely helps. what do you mean jumped gear? isn't yours a 6-spd?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To all of you with the CAI, would any of you be willing to sell the top half of your stock airbox?

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
i have a racing dynamics cai

after installing it first i didn't notice a power increase

but it sure does sound a hell of alot better now :)

·
Certified Public Assassin
436 Posts
hey panipuri,

Do you have any pics of your engine compartment with the Racing Dynamics CAI installed?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Isn't the stock intake already cold air?
The intake tracts upstream of the air box already go down into the fender area and down through to the air dam.

Dinan gets 6hp out of their intake kit and it's all just top end gain.
If you can feel a 2% increase, go for it.

It's all just for sound...

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have the Afe dry Cold Air Intake System so that i can clean it easy and not have to worry about putting on tooo much oil. Even though it is not a hard thing :) I just figured easier in relation just to increase flow by 4%....not worth the agrivation to me. I noticed a minor change nothing like some of the other upgrades....

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Lurched into another gear? Your 6 speed manual tranny jumped into a secret 7th gear?

·
IHASDINAN
290 Posts

Wow!

+1:thumbup:

·
resident, old fart
1,870 Posts
I removed my Dinan software and went Powerchips- much better. Then, I removed and sold my Dinan CAI and put it back to stock and noticed no difference whatsoever. My opinion only, but I think a CAI is the biggest waste of money there is on the BMW.

·
IHASDINAN
290 Posts
I removed my Dinan software and went Powerchips- much better. Then, I removed and sold my Dinan CAI and put it back to stock and noticed no differene whatsoever. My opinion only, but I think a CAI is the biggest waste of money there is on the BMW.
what kind of exhaust are you running on?

·
resident, old fart
1,870 Posts
what kind of exhaust are you running on?
Stock. I guess you are going to tell me that unless I "uncork" all that pent-up exhaust gas I can't realize the potential? I really just believe the design of the stock airbox is very good. No chance of hydro-lock and truly did not even notice a change in sound when I took it off. If these mods were priced at what they are worth in terms of parts, that might be one thing. Charging $300 or $400 bucks for one of these kits is just ridiculous- In my opinion once again. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts