BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if i want to fork out $50 per tire to install my winter tires at the dealership. Should I trust the local shops like Firestone/Goodyear? Or the dealer has some necessary equipments that these guys don't!

Thanks in advance,

Ps. Any recommendation on a trusty South Jersey/Philly tire shop is appreciated.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am not sure if i want to fork out $50 per tire to install my winter tires at the dealership. Should I trust the local shops like Firestone/Goodyear? Or the dealer has some necessary equipments that these guys don't!

Thanks in advance,

Ps. Any recommendation on a trusty South Jersey/Philly tire shop is appreciated.
Tire shops change significantly more tires than dealerships. I have never had a dealership change any tire for me.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,320 Posts
It varies by area and dealer. My local (end of my street) tire shop will not touch a RFT on OEM BMW wheels - they say they don't have the equipment to do it properly and don't want the liability for damaging the wheel. Other tire dealers in the area have no such reservations.

I'd ask the tire shop how they are configured for runflats, show them your wheel, note that there is no current damage to the wheel, and have the lack of damage noted on the service order before they start. If they go that far with you, they're probably experienced and you'll likely be OK. If they do damage your wheel, at least you have evidence for the small claims action if they don't make you whole after the fact. Just don't sign any waivers before the work.

FWIW,
George

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on what Zooks said.
I took my 335 to my local BMW/Porsche/ Mercedes independent shop to swap my RFTs for non-RFTs. The owner, who I know quite well, expalined that many shops do not have the equipment to do RFT, as the sidewalls are significantly stiffer than conventional tires. Be sure to ask your shop ahead of time if they are able, and have the eqiupment and experience, to do this for you.
I love my non-run flats btw.
dhc3

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ordered a set of winter tires/rims through America's Tire/Discount Tire and they installed them. I brought the 3-Season BS tires home to store during the winter. Since then, every winter/spring I do the tire swap myself in my garage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It varies by area and dealer. My local (end of my street) tire shop will not touch a RFT on OEM BMW wheels - they say they don't have the equipment to do it properly and don't want the liability for damaging the wheel. Other tire dealers in the area have no such reservations.

I'd ask the tire shop how they are configured for runflats, show them your wheel, note that there is no current damage to the wheel, and have the lack of damage noted on the service order before they start. If they go that far with you, they're probably experienced and you'll likely be OK. If they do damage your wheel, at least you have evidence for the small claims action if they don't make you whole after the fact. Just don't sign any waivers before the work.

FWIW,
George
Thanks, George. This sounds like a great way to start. Interesting enough, I called the local Firestone tire shop and they refused to have tires shipped to them from a third party. :dunno:

I will call around to some other local shops.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a set of winter tires/rims through America's Tire/Discount Tire and they installed them. I brought the 3-Season BS tires home to store during the winter. Since then, every winter/spring I do the tire swap myself in my garage.
I might be wrong, but I thought Discount tire is like tire-rack and gives you recommended shops rather than their own store?

Thanks,

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
why not just get a wheel and tire set? the rims pay for themselves after 2 years of seasonal swaps, plus you dont have to worrry about rim damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts