BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much thought, I think I am going to hold out for the coupe or the convertible. Does the convertible typically come out the same time as the coupe (i.e. 1 year from now), or is there another year lag?

I have been looking at 3-series on the road a lot more now that I'm in the market, and at least with the E46, the coupe seems to just look better to me. Especially in black.

I wonder if BMW will ever use a retractable hard-top, or if it would have too much weight. That would be a hot car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
After much thought, I think I am going to hold out for the coupe or the convertible. Does the convertible typically come out the same time as the coupe (i.e. 1 year from now), or is there another year lag?

I have been looking at 3-series on the road a lot more now that I'm in the market, and at least with the E46, the coupe seems to just look better to me. Especially in black.

I wonder if BMW will ever use a retractable hard-top, or if it would have too much weight. That would be a hot car.
They should be coming out at the same time or with minimal delay. There is a rumored hardtop for the cabrio in the works, but who knows if it will actually be used. The problem with a retractable hardtop is that it messes up the 50/50 weight distribution but that is why they were doing so much testing with it.

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
There might be a slight delay in delivery dates, but I dont see them waiting one more year just to release a convertible. IMO, I think they should release a hardtop convertible...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I would prefer a hardtop, my buying decision between a coupe and convertible would take into account handling more than a soft/hard top feature. If they can keep the weight and weight distribution optimized, and keep the increased body flex to a minimum, I will pay the extra price for the convertible, even if its a soft top.

Having a hard top though, and retaining the above would be a big plus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I vaguely rememer reading that the Coupe would come out in 2006, but the Convertible would be introduced at the Paris Auto Show in 2007.

·
Registered
48 Posts
last i heard, the 3-series convertible will still be a softtop, but the hardtop version would be badged a 4-series and be designed slightly differently. not sure if this rumor is still true or not.

-james
330cic - sold...what to get next?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimKim said:
last i heard, the 3-series convertible will still be a softtop, but the hardtop version would be badged a 4-series and be designed slightly differently. not sure if this rumor is still true or not.

-james
330cic - sold...what to get next?
huh? That doesn make much sense. do you mean that there will be two 2dr convertibles, one with a soft top badged a 3 and the other with a hard top badge a 4? I find this highly unlikely. Maybe you are confusing separate rumors and combining them?

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
Depending on what they look like, I might be in the market for an "upgrade" about the time they come out... I'm guessing around Summer 2006 (as MY2007). For right now, I absolutely love my car and plan to keep it a long time, but I'll have to wait and see.

--J.

·
Registered
75 Posts
me, me, me!!!.

I personally don't like small 4 door sedans...and i don't like automatic transmissions and a 4 door with a manual just seems strange. I want a coupe with a manual transmission - just me, a passenger and a 6 speed - that's the essence of BMW for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
huh? That doesn make much sense. do you mean that there will be two 2dr convertibles, one with a soft top badged a 3 and the other with a hard top badge a 4? I find this highly unlikely. Maybe you are confusing separate rumors and combining them?
just telling you what i heard. dunno if it's true or not.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e90/6277543-3.html

-james
330cic sold...what to get next?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I'm waiting for the Coupe. :thumbup:

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
From what I have been reading the coupe/cabrio will be re-named the 4 series; there will be no 3 series coupe/cabrio. I think M versions of both (sedan & coupe/cab) will eventually be sold. But it's all rumor now anyway. :)

--J.

·
Banned
545 Posts
JonathanIT said:
From what I have been reading the coupe/cabrio will be re-named the 4 series; there will be no 3 series coupe/cabrio. I think M versions of both (sedan & coupe/cab) will eventually be sold. But it's all rumor now anyway. :)

--J.
No. BWM has always played with the idea of making the coupes and cabrio a 4 series whenever they produce a next generation 3 series to make their assembly line seem big like mercedes, but then they always end up keeping it a 3

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
Interesting, although too much cladding to make a judgement.

The back kinda looks like a Maxima to me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can still see the general lines even with the cladding... it looks GOOD!

Slap some lightweight 19's on there and G35 coupe owners are going to cry. Maybe be then I'll have the means to also buy a 4-runner or something for when I need 4-doors, cause I have always lusted for a 3-series coupe.

·
Banned
545 Posts
damn, i wish the coupe had pillar-less windows like the CLK.. form those pictures, i guess it doesn't :cry:

i thought maybe the redesigned one would :cry: :cry:

what do you guys perfer, pillar-less or the pop-out ones?

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
MERZADY_BoY said:
what do you guys perfer, pillar-less or the pop-out ones?
Pillarless, of course... just like my '04. But then again convertibles always are. :D

--J.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts