Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW IFTTT

BMW Labs just launched an IFTTT channel allowing you to integrate your BMW ConnectedDrive with your smart home, social media and smart phone. Who's going to be the first Bimmerfest member to create their own IFTTT recipe? What existing recipes are you going to download?

Read more about IFTTT and BMW here

·
Registered
108 Posts
BMW IFTTT

BMW Labs just launched an IFTTT channel allowing you to integrate your BMW ConnectedDrive with your smart home, social media and smart phone. Who's going to be the first Bimmerfest member to create their own IFTTT recipe? What existing recipes are you going to download?

Read more about IFTTT and BMW here
This is a lot of fun and it's quite cool to see new stuff on my iDrive screen.
It is difficult to think of anything much that is actually really useful and which you can't already do with iDrive. Getting the car to email me a map whenever I'm parked sounds like it could come in useful and is quicker than using the BMW Remote app - though I've yet to need it. I'm also building up a driving log in OneNote using IFTTT.
I've also set up some custom notifications of stuff in my house which now appear periodically in the car. Again this is fun but not really that useful and I could get the info in iDrive before anyway.
Biggest drawback is that this only works if you are showing the BMW Labs widget in the car, and it's all likely to get pulled with no notice because it's not a formal service offering.
Anyway I don't feel too inclined to test this stuff for BMW, since they will never implement it fully in my car - rather I will be beta testing for their future cars

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't quite understand why BMW is so slow to move in on this market, in particular at a time they seem to be giving the cold shoulder to Apple (not that I care for Carplay).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If bmw supported android in a real way, there would be no need for ifttt. Everything and a lot more could be done with tasker.

I still can't believe I need to unlock my ipod everytime I want to use the bmw connect apps. Can't decide what is more dumb, the point that Apple won't give you an option to not have a lock screen, or bmw for only supporting Apple.

·
Registered
195 Posts
colinquack, I meant the App market. They are working on bypassing the phone all together and simply install everything in the car. But it's too slow. BMW is huge. Has the money and the talent.

dj, how have you been?
I don't think the average user knows about Tasker. I have given up on Android. Google creeps me out.
Assuming you are referring to the iPod touch, I am surprised the option is not there. Look for Auto-Lock under General settings. Set it to Never.

I would consider the tesla at this point if it weren't so ugly inside.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
colinquack, I meant the App market. They are working on bypassing the phone all together and simply install everything in the car. But it's too slow. BMW is huge. Has the money and the talent.

dj, how have you been?
I don't think the average user knows about Tasker. I have given up on Android. Google creeps me out.
Assuming you are referring to the iPod touch, I am surprised the option is not there. Look for Auto-Lock under General settings. Set it to Never.

I would consider the tesla at this point if it weren't so ugly inside.
Even with autolock set to never it doesn't work. Also the screen would always need to be on, or else it locks again. I don't drive the car enough for the screen to always be on. The ipod would run out of battery in a day or two.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use the sms upon an event to text the gf when I leave work. Works really well. Then I close the split screen and enjoy the drive ;-)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use the sms upon an event to text the gf when I leave work. Works really well. Then I close the split screen and enjoy the drive ;-)
You could easily get "Trigger" or "Tasker" to do the same. SMS on connecting to the car Bluetooth, the only problem being it would text her again if/when the phone disconnected / reconnected to the car which can happen on a regular basis.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is this still working for everyone? Yesterday and today it's just loaded a black screen in the split-screen (i.e. my maps work fine on the left side but the "widget" on the right is just a black screen.

·
Registered
381 Posts
After a bit of googling, apparently IFTTT changed their API, and sites are responsible for changing their code to work with it. The internet is buzzing that Pinboard, Last.fm, and others will be kicked off IFTTT as a result of this. Unless BMW Labs has a few developers that can come up with whatever changes are necessary, we might be in the same boat...

·
Registered
108 Posts
After a bit of googling, apparently IFTTT changed their API, and sites are responsible for changing their code to work with it. The internet is buzzing that Pinboard, Last.fm, and others will be kicked off IFTTT as a result of this. Unless BMW Labs has a few developers that can come up with whatever changes are necessary, we might be in the same boat...
We underestimate BMW Labs... it seems to be working again today

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did not work for me on my drive this am, but I didn't really try anything other than turning it on. I'll go into the BMW online menu on my way home

·
Registered
17 Posts
I followed the instructions posted in this thread listed here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9595129

However, when i get in the car, and look for the BMW Labs Widget, it is not an available option among the BMW Online Widgets.

Cant get past that step.

I have the recipes all chosen, and according to the IFTTT site, they are running as they should, but cant access them from the car.

Not sure, but I suppose I dont see my car (2016 435i GC) among the vehicles listed, but the 2015 is. Not sure if that is the trouble maker.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts