BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find a decent all in one tool kit, which in my case is for working on other peoples cars when Im in the bmw and not in the truck :)

But still its good to have a decent tool kit for emergencies and such. Normally I just buy whatever I need be it a single tool or a pack of wrenches etc and dump them in the toolbox on my truck.

But with the bmw I want something neat, anti rattle and with a decent amount of tools. Sugestions? Something with a complete ratchet and socket set, maybe some torx bits or the torx screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I know the bmw has some tools in the lid and all but Im looking for something alot more complete than that but neat and doesnt rattle, not taking up much space would be cool too.

Ideas? Something youve seen or have now ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have always carried tools in the trunk of my car, and I agree that it is handy to have a comprehensive set for when some other car acts up.

To solve the rattling problem, I use a canvas tool roll. I have a metric 12 pt. socket set, a ratchet and one extension. A set of allen keys (metric), vice grips, screwdrivers, tamper proof torx bits, wire cutters, pliers, and a portable hack saw. Should really have a hammer I guess. Also have a set of combination metric wrenches.

The E46 trunk doesn't have a good place to secure the tool roll. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
I carry basically the same kit as Rick, with the inclusion of a small spool of mechanic`s wire (worth it`s weight in gold when you need it :)

War story/ Why you should carry tools:
A long time ago, I went to a club where there was no street parking for many blocks around, so I parked in an industrial-looking lot with step-vans, etc. parked in it. When I came out of the club around 2 a.m., there was now a 6-ft. high chain-link gate, chained & padlocked, across the lot entrance ! I climbed the fence, got my tools out, removed the hinges from the gate, and dragged it off to one side....exit, stage left ! :)

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a bad kit and pretty much what Im looking for except its probably going to be to big. I have to keep alot of computer equipment in the truck too is why I want something that might fit in the spare tire area like KrisL mentioned or something. A roll up type deal might work and fit in there. I have a huge stanley set like the cresent one you mentioned now. But its to big. I have to keep 4 notebook computers 2 wireless 900 mhz wifi radios and a yagi wifi antenna in there 24/7 as it is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Kris...and anyone else that is interested.. if you need reverse velcro, check out my friend who gets unclaimed freight to sell on ebay. He sells that stuff by the rolls. Seems to be really cheap. I got it and use it for lots of stuff... Hey maybe we could use it for attaching spoilers. We could remove them and lock them in our trunk when we are in a bad area of town. :rofl: Just kidding... I've been reading posts and saw where someone had their spoiler stolen and read how some of them were attached... But the velcro can be found by checking out Billy2K on ebay. He always has lots of great stuff and swift shipping too. Just waiting for him to get really good detailing product in! He got a TON of the Meguires detail brushes, and the like, but may have sold it all. Just an FYI to share.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Tools - BMW included tool kit in trunk, BMW included first aid kit under passenger seat, and a charged cellphone. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I would pack on a modern car, what breaks won't be fixable by what's packed. The only except is track days, where I care a decent set of spares and tools that takes half the trunk.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not a bad kit and pretty much what Im looking for except its probably going to be to big. I have to keep alot of computer equipment in the truck too is why I want something that might fit in the spare tire area like KrisL mentioned or something. A roll up type deal might work and fit in there. I have a huge stanley set like the cresent one you mentioned now. But its to big. I have to keep 4 notebook computers 2 wireless 900 mhz wifi radios and a yagi wifi antenna in there 24/7 as it is.
Here's an idea: this thing is pretty compact and flat... you could put some of that velcro on it and stand it/stick it to the back of one of the fold down seats... would be out of the way and would definitely not go anywhere.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im looking at one now thats similar to that but is inside a leather briefcase. Has a nice snazzy look to it but also a nice snazzy price to it. Course Id rather velcro a plastic cased one like that cresent one than put velcro on a leather briefcase :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
In order to put the tool roll in the spare tire compartment, I had to turn the spare (space saver) over, so that the rim is concave upwards. There's lots of space this way.

Any reason not to do this?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
In order to put the tool roll in the spare tire compartment, I had to turn the spare (space saver) over, so that the rim is concave upwards. There's lots of space this way.

Any reason not to do this?
Concave upwards?

The spare tire is supposed to be in a position where the side facing up is the side that would be touching your wheel hub when mounted. The spare tire cover sits on top of it, giving a good amount of clearance (3 inches at least, enough for a laptop in a docking station!) between it and the trunk floor.

Sounds like yours might have been upside-down to begin with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine was upside down by the sound of it. The last owner was quite a fastidious guy, and perhaps he put it that way so that he could check the inflation pressure.

I normally carry around a couple of ballgloves and a battery operated trouble lite, and there's now plenty of room for that sort of stuff in there.

Someone did mention carrying baling or hay wire. Sounds like a good idea--you never know when some poor girl might need to re-wire her bra ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts