I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Is that in the same parking lot as Auto-X? :dunno:

It would be awesome if they could set up a street course downtown :bigpimp:

·
Registered
343 Posts
CD-55 said:
I am thinking about taking some time off Friday to check it out, then if Iam not burned out return on Saturday.

URL for the Washington DC Grand Prix Web Site
I totally forgot about it! I might go on Saturday to watch the qualifyings, and then on Sunday for the race. I'm not sure which classes I'm interested in though, I don't have a good idea about the different classes. Which ones are you going to watch?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'll be there. Will the NCC have a corral?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just checked out the National Grand Prix web site and there will be NO parking at RFK Stadium. They want everyone to ride the Metro, so no corral.

Teej was asking about the classes. The World Challenge Touring and GT will have many BMW's. The ALMS race will be the Prototypes and the Corvettes, Vipers, Ferrari but Porsche ran off the GTR V8 M3's who whipped them last year. The Touring race is a mix of Acura Integra's, Mazda Protege's and BMW 3 Series. This is a shorter track, so it might not suit the BMW power. The Touring race is on Saturday afternoon. I think the WC GT race happens after the ALMS race on Sunday. Jeff McMillin has a very competitive, and well prepared, M3 in GT and if he doesn't win races is near the front. Take a look at their web site for details.

·
Registered
343 Posts
SteveT said:
Just checked out the National Grand Prix web site and there will be NO parking at RFK Stadium. They want everyone to ride the Metro, so no corral.

Teej was asking about the classes. The World Challenge Touring and GT will have many BMW's. The ALMS race will be the Prototypes and the Corvettes, Vipers, Ferrari but Porsche ran off the GTR V8 M3's who whipped them last year. The Touring race is a mix of Acura Integra's, Mazda Protege's and BMW 3 Series. This is a shorter track, so it might not suit the BMW power. The Touring race is on Saturday afternoon. I think the WC GT race happens after the ALMS race on Sunday. Jeff McMillin has a very competitive, and well prepared, M3 in GT and if he doesn't win races is near the front. Take a look at their web site for details.
Hey thanks Steve!! Yea I knew about the GTR V8 fiasco....sucks we can't watch em in action.

·
Registered
343 Posts
BTW, I was getting gas at a Shell today and I saw a sign for 'buy one get one free general admission ticket' for Saturday, and a 'buy a general admission ticket and get free paddock pass' for Sunday....or some deal like that. I still haven't gotten my ticket(s) yet... but will soon!

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
SteveT said:
I'll be there. Will the NCC have a corral?
They were, but the organizers wanted $15,000 for the space and tent. A little much. :thumbdwn:

I was thinking of going, but my travel schedule changed and I will be in Windhoek, Namibia that weekend.

Have fun, post pictures.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Pinecone said:

They were, but the organizers wanted $15,000 for the space and tent. A little much. :thumbdwn:

I was thinking of going, but my travel schedule changed and I will be in Windhoek, Namibia that weekend.

Have fun, post pictures.
Too bad they wanted so much. I know they've been trying to pull this off for a long time and there seems to be inexperience showing. I hope it comes off ok. Have a good trip. There will be pictures.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Yeah, I guess they have no idea that having a whole mess of BMWs can enhance their event. Like the Hoosier Corral at the US GP at Indy.

I remember back when the US GP was at Watkins Glen and Toyota was a sponsor. They had a large area for gathering and camping, plus they had a parade lap of all the Toyotas. :) That would have been cool, a parade lap of local BMWs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was planning on going, even bought tickets; however, after looking at the website and seeing that there won't be any parking, no corrals and the course will be laid out on RFK's parking lot (no elevation changes=no good views unless your in the grandstands,and even then, they may not be too good), I'm passing.

I religiously attend the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta. I guess I've been spoiled by their facilities. I highly recommend this race. Lot's of elevation changes, incredible views for general admission, plenty of infield parking :thumbup:, camping :thumbup: :thumbup: and no worries of having your car broken into while left at the Metro (has happened twice to me :banghead: ).

I wish the promoters the best of luck and hope this race is a success since it's location has the potential to draw a lot of people and increase the chances of ALMS' success and continued racing.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I'm officially going...I just bought a ticket. My wife is practically dragging me down to DC so she can see her friends, with the excuse that I can go to see the race. Whatever...I plan on meeting one of my friends down there.

I'm much more excited about seeing the Speed World Challenge race after the ALMS race, and seeing if Will Turner in his 325i can make it two in a row over the Acuras and Mazdas.

The ALMS race will be OK, just to see some cool cars, but I truthfully have almost no idea who the drivers are. I knew more about this type of racing back in the 80s when it was run by IMSA. :dunno: Even at that, I know enough to say that I bet an Audi will win. :rolleyes: Oh, and Porsche should have no trouble with the two lame duck M3s. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Except the opressive heat and humidity Friday went very well. It's nice to see at least two M3 in the ALMS GT. True they will probably not be too competitive, but they are there. It isn't quite the Porsche Cup Porsche wants it to be. The Speed Channel World Challenge races are what I'm really interested in. Will Turner in the Touring race and Dobson have done well and Jeff McMillen in GT.

If DC going to try to put the races together, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't support them. So far the first day was good.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What did you think of the parking lot...er...race track?

Did you have seats? I'm going general admission. Can you see the track when you're walking around? Seeing as there's no elevation changes I'm not too hopeful about seeing much actual racing without a grandstand seat. Do the big screens show the action well? Was it crowded? Could I possibly think of any more questions? :p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
There are some grassy areas outside the track that give sight lines. I didn't walk entirely around the track. There are no elevation changes, but there are actually shady areas where you can watch from under a tree, sort of different. It didn't seem too crowded today, but they said on the news this evening that they are happy with the "walkup" and they've sold something like 70k tickets. I have seats, but I like to walk around too. There were big screens, however they were over near the grandstands. One negative, you cannot hear the announcer from outside the track. I don't know if there is a radio station that could be listened to. I talked with Jeff McMillen's crew and they like the track. I think the teams are pleased with this track in a parking lot. Check out www.theracesite.com for some of the comments.

·
Registered
343 Posts
PhilH said:
What did you think of the parking lot...er...race track?

Did you have seats? I'm going general admission. Can you see the track when you're walking around? Seeing as there's no elevation changes I'm not too hopeful about seeing much actual racing without a grandstand seat. Do the big screens show the action well? Was it crowded? Could I possibly think of any more questions? :p
If you have a general admission ticket, you can get a seat. I didn't know and I spent half the day walking around! :mad: Then I decided to ask one of the officials there and yes, even general admission ticket holders get seats! Its not covered and it was pretty hot and sunny today, but it was still a a lot of fun. Saw the qualifyings, and part of the Trans Am race. Going back tomorrow.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah, i went today for the GT race, it was really cool seeing it person, BUT it was hot as hell and at $3 a bottle for water...it was a very expensive day

also, for those maybe going tomorrow on sunday, you don't need grandstand seats or at least buy tickets for'em. there are grassy areas at turn 1 you can sit and watch with a pretty good view

AND, the grandstands were maybe 75% full at best, the ticket guys weren't even checking, you coulda just walked up and found a seat. i spent like $100 for two days of grandstand seats too :(

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
It was a great day at the race on Sunday, and as expected, I enjoyed the Speed World Championship Touring race much more than the ALMS race. However, I never knew the ALMS cars had those lights on the sides to tell you who was in first, second and third for each class. A great idea for what is a very difficult series to follow, as there's four classes of cars on the track at the same time.

The Touring race was mayhem, as usual. We sat in the grandstands to watch it with a view of the the end of the front straight and turn one. That way we could see the big screen and hear the PA system, which was non-existant in places where there were no bleachers (stupid IMO). I won't give any spoilers for the races, since I don't think the Speed race has aired yet.

I'm not sure I need to go next year, and I wonder how many other curious residents of DC feel the same, so I wonder if ticket sales will be as good next year. Overall, the venue was much better than I expected.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts