BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a dealer in our area that is widely disliked among the BMW community for crappy and dishonest sales and service. Because of their location, however, they continue to rake in new customers. Apparently their new car sales and service business is high enough that the CSI money doesn't mean much to them.

I'm wondering why CSI scores are not made public. Or at least, why dealers with high customer satisfaction scores don't advertise this fact?

If CSI scores became available to the public, consumers would benefit.

Btw, the dealer I'm thinking about got an "F" by the BBB.

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
I suspect that dealers don't publicize their scores because their contract with BMWNA prohibits it.

I suspect that BMWNA prohibits it because it would serve THEM no benefit.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Bart001 said:
I suspect that dealers don't publicize their scores because their contract with BMWNA prohibits it.

Makes sense. The most you'd likely get is something like the new-car quality survey, where only the top brands are listed. But BMW certainly isn't going to list the bottom dealers. If they have a real problem with the dealer, I imagine the franchise agreement allows BMWNA to terminate the relationship (after a bunch of steps and litigation, of course).

·
Registered
457 Posts
BMW is not a third party

Robert A said:
I'm wondering why CSI scores are not made public.
I don't know how good it is, but I think a third party dealerrater.com is supposed to serve that purpose. Or, check BBB, as you noted. Better yet, get a referral from fellow bimmerfest members.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealerrater basically only gets complaints. It's not a particularly good statistical sample.

The purpose of CSI surveys is to improve dealer service to the retail customer. The "carrot" so to speak is the financial incentive that accompanies a high CSI score. Still, some dealers provide poor service and unwitting customers have no systematic way of knowing about this.

If CSI scores were published, it would have a much bigger impact on customer service.

As a corrolary, here in Los Angeles, restaurants are required to display their health department scores in the front window. Since the program started several years ago, marginal restaurants have really cleaned up their act.

tksung said:
I don't know how good it is, but I think a third party dealerrater.com is supposed to serve that purpose. Or, check BBB, as you noted. Better yet, get a referral from fellow bimmerfest members.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Robert A said:
service.

As a corrolary, here in Los Angeles, restaurants are required to display their health department scores in the front window. Since the program started several years ago, marginal restaurants have really cleaned up their act.
Now that's an idea. BMWNA could tell the dealers they are going to make the scores public in xx months, which would give the dealers some time to clean up their acts.
Also, doesn't a dealer have to have a certain score to attain a "center of excellence" rating by BMW ? My dealer has one, but maybe that's based only on service scores :dunno:

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
Bart001 said:

We proudly display the fact that we are number one in CSI in our market area (New England), and that we are number one in CSI in our "SPG" dealer group (dealers of a similar size and sales volume). We also display the fact that we are a repeat Center of Excellence.

If your dealer has something to be proud of, odds are that they'll make it known. Otherwise, if they have something bad to say, they'll probably say nothing! ;)

That being said, we don't display our actual CSI averages or those of our competitors. Frankly, that's just not necessary-- our rank should be enough.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Robert A said:
Dealerrater basically only gets complaints. It's not a particularly good statistical sample.
True. But it still could be useful since buyers can avoid ones that get the most complaints, taking the size of the dealerships into account.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts